Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, glad I'm not the only one. Wonder if it has anything to do with when you got the car. (I know trying to figure out Tesla's way of doing things is a futile effort). But I got mine Sep. 29, so maybe it went to those who have owned longer than a couple weeks.

I've had mine about 10 months. No update. Sometimes I'm one of the first. Sometimes I'm one of the last. There's no external consistency.

The car goes to sleep, and when it does it disconnects from WiFi. It’s supposed to wake up every so often to reconnect and check for updates/changes, I think.

Typically, my car sleeps through the night (per TeslaFi). The last two times I got an update, I could see the car waking during the night (both times around 2:00 am) and had a corresponding download on my router. There would be a notice when I wake up that the update is ready for install.

My assumption is that Tesla just wakes the car when the update is ready (through cellular) and then the car will connect to Wi-Fi to download. I don't think the car wakes up periodically to check for updates.

Autopilot is definitely more useful now. For the first time my 3 allowed me to do an auto lane change on route 1 in NJ. This was not possible at all in previous versions. I have yet to encounter a road with multiple lanes that does not allow auto lane change since updating to version 9.

As others have reported the vehicle avatars around your car on the screen can be a bit glitchy. I’m hoping this is just the cameras still calibrating and it will get better. I’ve had a lot of instances where the car avatars on the screen look like they’re going to side swipe me when they’re clearly a normal distance away. The vehicles around you also tend to dance a lot when stopped at a traffic light. Seeing the cars behind you is pretty cool as well as seeing the different kinds of vehicles instead of everything showing up as a car. I had a motorcycle pass me earlier today and it showed as a motorcycle on the screen and I also had a pedestrian show up on the screen while I was stopped at a crosswalk. Blind spot monitoring seems to work well. The animation on the screen when doing an auto lane change is also much more fluid and seems like a nice touch. Oh and now I can see basically all of the lanes on the screen instead of just the adjacent lanes. I was just driving on the Garden State Parkway and there were 5 lanes showing up on my screen which coincided with the 5 actual lanes that were on that section of the parkway.

Traffic info on the map does seem easier to read now as well and I’m liking having the navigation directions on the left side of the screen.

Overall I’m quite happy with the update so far but there is definitely room for improvement. I experienced a crash when I tried to show my wife the Atari games and had to reboot. The web browser just hasn’t worked at all about 1/3 of the time and requires a reboot to get it working again. Haven’t had a chance to test if summon works any better now but I plan on giving that a test run tomorrow.
Have you tried the auto-park feature? I saw a video where they mentioned it works much quicker after the update.

I was averaging 215-220wh/m before this update.
Now, I am averaging 275-290wh/m.
No change in my driving habit. Same route. It can't be the outside Temp (about 25 degrees cooler) as I'm noticing higher wh/m reported as I'm driving.

I'm on the Model 3 Performance, I'm not seeing the update, but according to TeslaFI, neither are a lot of people. I literally had a huge phone charger in my car (it lasts days) with a wifi hotspot on in my garage, and it still hasnt pulled any updates. I'd say its just the luck of the draw for now. I've had the car since August and I'll just wait. Whenever it comes, it comes. (Although I must admit I've gone to extraordinary measures trying to get that update - but I'll wait lol).

I'm on the Model 3 Performance, I'm not seeing the update, but according to TeslaFI, neither are a lot of people. I literally had a huge phone charger in my car (it lasts days) with a wifi hotspot on in my garage, and it still hasnt pulled any updates. I'd say its just the luck of the draw for now. I've had the car since August and I'll just wait. Whenever it comes, it comes. (Although I must admit I've gone to extraordinary measures trying to get that update - but I'll wait lol).
FWIW, mine was on WiFi and plugged in. Maybe it tests the WiFi bandwidth and/or latency?

I was averaging 215-220wh/m before this update.
Now, I am averaging 275-290wh/m.
No change in my driving habit. Same route. It can't be the outside Temp (about 25 degrees cooler) as I'm noticing higher wh/m reported as I'm driving.

I've noticed once ambient drops below 60F, my Wh/mi shoots up quite a bit. Also, using the heater will definitely mess with your Wh/mi.

Plus, didn't it just snow in Colorado? At least Denver?

The calendar app has an option to display the calendar when you get in the car at various times. Has that worked for anyone? I tried setting it to Morning and Morning/afternoon, and the calendar never displays.

It does appear to be syncing properly, as all entries are present if I open it manually

Yes, my calendar displayed on the screen when I first got into my 3 this morning. Did the same thing yesterday morning as well.

I just got V9 this morning. Pardon if I missed it (I did search the thread) but did I lose dual zone climate control? Previously the left and right sides could be separated for different temps but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Is there a control I haven't spotted?

I think the only variable that matters is WiFi or no WiFi. As long as the car has not entered "low-power consumption mode," I don't think it matters if it is plugged in or not - it is a software update that takes less than an hour to download and install, it will not drain the battery.

The bigger problem is that it looks like Tesla has virtually stopped pushing out updates (per TeslaFi).

39.6 push by day:

Today - 19 (0.6%)
Yesterday - 45 (1.5%)
Tuesday - 295 (9.5%)
Monday - 24 (0.8%)
Sunday - 57 (1.8%)
Saturday - 357 (11.5%)

Saturday was the first day they pushed it out, Tuesday was the first day for the M3.

I think the only variable that matters is WiFi or no WiFi. As long as the car has not entered "low-power consumption mode," I don't think it matters if it is plugged in or not - it is a software update that takes less than an hour to download and install, it will not drain the battery.

The bigger problem is that it looks like Tesla has virtually stopped pushing out updates (per TeslaFi).

39.6 push by day:

Today - 19 (0.6%)
Yesterday - 45 (1.5%)
Tuesday - 295 (9.5%)
Monday - 24 (0.8%)
Sunday - 57 (1.8%)
Saturday - 357 (11.5%)

Saturday was the first day they pushed it out, Tuesday was the first day for the M3.
But there's only like 3000-4000 cars on TeslaFi total. I understand its a sample, but how do we know for sure? Considering that a car malfunctioning on the road can be an issue of life and death, its very possible they are pushing it out in batches very slowly. People have compared this to a MacBook update, but when was the last time your MacBook propelled itself on wheels at 60-80MPH (conservative estimate!) while you were in it?

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri