Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The link didn't work for me so I searched on Amazon and found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Macbook-Surface-Notebook/dp/B00XMD7KPU. However, it says that it's not for charging. Is this the one you're using or a different one?

I got this one: SIIG USB 2.0 Portable 2-Port Hub (JU-H20011-S1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ORPJ14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qiIWBbJVRQ918

I’m able to charge my wife’s iPhone and record from TeslaCam with a flash drive plugged in at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Got the update last night on my RWD 3. Plugged in my Anker USB hub with a USB drive and the charger plugged into it and I happily have both charging and dashcam features. Curious if I could get away with adding a music drive as well.
Someone has already successfully created 2 partitions on a drive, one for music and one for the dashcam. That works. So I'm sure 2 drives on a hub should work as well.

• Funny
Reactions: RayW
Went to my local SC for a repair (window regulator failed) and they pushed/installed V9. It’s awesome! Browser is a little slow but I was on 3G, not LTE.

Tesla must have updated the availability list as my car was NOT on the list on Wednesday.

I had asked for it to be pushed when I got my initial repair inspection and they couldn’t. Today, they were allowed, but the clock logo was not on my screen.

Went to my local SC for a repair (window regulator failed) and they pushed/installed V9. It’s awesome! Browser is a little slow but I was on 3G, not LTE.

Tesla must have updated the availability list as my car was NOT on the list on Wednesday.

I had asked for it to be pushed when I got my initial repair inspection and they couldn’t. Today, they were allowed, but the clock logo was not on my screen.
Yeah very little Model 3’s got the updates before, rumour has it there was glitches for model 3. This 39.7 is wide release so that’s probably why they can push it.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Was determined to get the car updated, so I went out and sat in the car with my wifi hotspot enabled on my phone (no access to wifi otherwise). Sure enough, update downloaded and it's now installing.

Those of you that don't have wifi access, try just sitting in your car with wifi hotspot turned on with your phone. Took about 20mins for me.

I got 39.7 at 5 am this morning. HVAC was switched to manual. Dash cam working with $10 16 GB USB 2-3. All of the steering glitches caused by cross-over openings in the median of local 4 lane divided road when driving in left lane are gone. The car brakes for pedestrians in a crosswalk. Automatic lane change on any road is smoother with out the previous small oscillation at the end. A big improvement in performance aside from new features.

Someone has already successfully created 2 partitions on a drive, one for music and one for the dashcam. That works. So I'm sure 2 drives on a hub should work as well.

I did this. I prepared a 64Gb USB with 2 partitions - one for TeslaCam (16Gb) and the other for music (~44Gb). I tested it before getting the v9 update and the music worked fine. The other partition mounted as well.

After getting the v9 (39.7) update this morning, I tested the dashcam. It did not appear. I remembered from another post someone mentioning that you have to reformat the USB drive again after getting the update, so I reformatted just the Teslacam partition. Plugged it in and the dashcam recording icon appeared. Also my music was available. So, a dual partition USB key will work for both music and dashcam.

So.. my slacker radio doesnt work.

Plays a few seconds.. then stops. Then i hit the refresh button.. plays another song for a few seconds.. then stops..

Also..

Anyone else not seeing the real time traffic properly? Like.. it only shows the slowdowns now and not the green lines.

On a side note..

Sucks that they replaced the source button with the equalizer button. Would much rather have rapid access to change my music source . Then adjust the sound...

So.. my slacker radio doesnt work.

Plays a few seconds.. then stops. Then i hit the refresh button.. plays another song for a few seconds.. then stops..

Also..

Anyone else not seeing the real time traffic properly? Like.. it only shows the slowdowns now and not the green lines.

On a side note..

Sucks that they replaced the source button with the equalizer button. Would much rather have rapid access to change my music source . Then adjust the sound...

I have the same problem. It works on WiFi but not on LTE so I think it's the LTE connection actually. In addition, it's affecting the voice commands which works on WiFi too.

39.7 here.
I was pleasantly surprised by the browser speed on my wi-fi connection although for the most part I am unable to zoom the screen and inbox.google.com recommends that I update the browser ;)

I'm sure there will be the usual errata for the next couple of weeks but this is a very welcome update.

Go Tesla!

Installed 39.7 last night. Update finished with errors...pardon the inexact text.

Update failed - contact support
Update failed - unable to start car

No transmission icons in upper left. No going into gear.

Called Roadside Service. Power off / on car...no luck. They had to escalate the issue to get update re-pushed to see if it works 2nd time. Problem is welcome to Saturday when advanced support at Tesla isn't working. Someone was in who will "try" and push the update. Roadside called local service who had probably closed eight minutes ealier. So...if this push doesn't fix it then I need to wait until Monday for a firmware push from Service and if still no luck...towed in.

Roadside did say that firmware failures can occur due to low LTE or wi-fi signal but I've applied many updates since May without issue.

Lastly, they said "we wish they hadn't pushed v9 yet." Apparently many complaints from S and X owners who aren't taking well to the UI changes.

On that note, I'm not sure why they moved the HomeLink icon to the far right of the screen. Instead, move the generally useless Tesla icon to the right.

Called Roadside Service. Power off / on car...no luck. They had to escalate the issue to get update re-pushed to see if it works 2nd time. Problem is welcome to Saturday when advanced support at Tesla isn't working. Someone was in who will "try" and push the update. Roadside called local service who had probably closed eight minutes ealier. So...if this push doesn't fix it then I need to wait until Monday for a firmware push from Service and if still no luck...towed in.
Happy to report that within a few minutes of posting this, Roadside called to say the update was on it's way. Installed successfully and can drive the car again. Thanks support!

Folks- Version 9 autopilot on anything other than highway is not on par w HW1 AP mobileye in my opinion currently. Pretty disappointing since I bought the car 2 years ago based upon my experience w HW1. Prior software to v9 was ahead.

We are now behind again...2 steps forward one step back.
It’s rock solid on 2-lane (one in each direction) roads for me. V9 is outstanding so far.

I’m pretty sure it will only sync with the native calendar and not calendars from any third party apps. Why not setup an Exchange connection and just sync the calendar stuff the built-in calendar app on your phone?

Some IT departments are security nuts and block access to ActiveSynce that the native iOS tools use, forcing you to use Outlook to view your work email/calendar.

Folks- Version 9 autopilot on anything other than highway is not on par w HW1 AP mobileye in my opinion currently. Pretty disappointing since I bought the car 2 years ago based upon my experience w HW1. Prior software to v9 was ahead.

We are now behind again...2 steps forward one step back.
Is your Tesla on WiFi? V9 requires new, high-resolution maps for optimum AP performance, and Tesla is continuously refining these maps to improve AP performance. Only cars on WiFi receive bulk high-resolution map updates as soon as they are available. People with cellular still receive map updates, albeit less frequently and much more slowly (after driving in the area?).

Last edited: