Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39.x (Version 9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got V9 over the weekend. Pretty happy with the changes - I suppose I could gripe about the position of the Homelink and User profile icons moving further over to the right, but generally it's a cool upgrade. Web browser just gives me a blank (white) screen for all sites, as does the Release Notes and online manual. A reboot fixed it all for a while but now all blank again. Hoping they will work more on these stability-like as time goes on. Love the calendar integration and the fact that a car company makes your car better as time goes on.

Reactions: Anner J. Bonilla
Got it over weekend too. Moving Homelink and others took few seconds to catch and not a problem.

I like now Lane change is working even on undivided local highways also.

But I think, new autopilot/vision needs lot more training. In the monitor/display I see many cars side swiping very frequently, cars jumping around at stop light, some time even cars besides me missing in altogether.

It feel deceleration in autopilot is smoothed, but I am not certain how much. Have not driven enough yet in auto.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
If you manually accelerate (press the accelerator) to force the car to speed up and create space, will it execute the auto lane change then?
Tried it (not in that way, a more simple scenario without another vehicle there) and it seems unwilling to. Seems EAP doesn't like trying to do things when you've got your foot on the peddle. Which makes sense because it lacks velocity control (it won't brake) while you're doing that.

Even after you let off the peddle it won't lane change. You have to stop the signal and re-initiate the lane change attempt before it'll act.

P.S. On the other hand it could have been something else there freaking it out, I didn't try it in a "known good location". Probably could use more conclusive testing.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00
Tried it (not in that way, a more simple scenario without another vehicle there) and it seems unwilling to. Seems EAP doesn't like trying to do things when you've got your foot on the peddle. Which makes sense because it lacks velocity control (it won't brake) while you're doing that.

Even after you let off the peddle it won't lane change. You have to stop the signal and re-initiate the lane change attempt before it'll act.

P.S. On the other hand it could have been something else there freaking it out, I didn't try it in a "known good location". Probably could use more conclusive testing.
I can confirm that you can accelerate on a auto lane change and after you make space it will execute it. Done it about 50 times already.

I stopped by the local Tesla Service Center today to ask what happened to my v9 upgrade (I was notified early Sat morning while I was out. Got home Sunday night and no upgrade available.) The service tech told me that Tesla pulled the release for the time being. While he doesn't know for sure, he suspects it may take up to a week before they re-launch v9.

• Informative
Reactions: P3D_Denver
Same situation. Received the notice while out of town on my phone. Back in town today to initiate the update on the car, and nothing there?

Ditto me.

Maybe this is why:

I stopped by the local Tesla Service Center today to ask what happened to my v9 upgrade (I was notified early Sat morning while I was out. Got home Sunday night and no upgrade available.) The service tech told me that Tesla pulled the release for the time being. While he doesn't know for sure, he suspects it may take up to a week before they re-launch v9.

Damn. My car is going in for a few days next week for a PPF wrap, tint, and ceramic coat. It would be simultaneously hilarious and infuriating if I got the update notice while that was happening and having the update pulled from me again before I got the car back, lol.

Hmm. I found that my car was way more aggressive about diving into exit lanes followed by abruptly serving back into the original lane when it picks up the lines again. It never took an exit but was swerving quite a bit. It used to do a similar behavior but it was smoother and less aggressive in the past.
I do agree that autopilot otherwise seemed better but was disappointed in the exit behavior.
I do notice that more and more roads are painting the short dashed lines across off and on ramps. Hopefully this will become standard. AP does fine when painted.

I was going to post this. The last versions of 8 had gotten pretty stable in the right hand lane, enough that I normally drove there with AP without looking too drunk. With 9, I am back to ping ponging at entrance ramps. It even will bounce across to the other line and back, so a larger sine wave than it used to.

I truly dislike the v9 AP..the lanes appear thinner but is very fluid in motion the only gripe is the inaccuracy of positioning in lane..v8 was much more consistent and accurate in lane positioning, it intermittently slants left and right unnervingly. Besides that love the other updates. I hope the AP corrects itself somehow..

One huge fix they could implement would be to start using the map information even without NAV on AP. It could at least be aware of where there are exits and ignore them unless the user turn on a turn signal. It could assume at splits that you intend to stay on the same road unless you signal an intention to take the split. In that case, it could take the split/exit. As it is now, anytime there is a break in the lane marking line it becomes confused and can't seem to decide whether to continue straight or to turn and follow the lane line that is now on the exit. By the way, I can't see that the USE HOV checkbox does a thing. I have it checked and set a route that would take on roads with an HOV lane and a Toll/HOV lanes. The guidance never once told me to move to the left to enter the HOV lane. I seemed to completely ignore the HOV lane.

One huge fix they could implement would be to start using the map information even without NAV on AP. It could at least be aware of where there are exits and ignore them unless the user turn on a turn signal. It could assume at splits that you intend to stay on the same road unless you signal an intention to take the split. In that case, it could take the split/exit. As it is now, anytime there is a break in the lane marking line it becomes confused and can't seem to decide whether to continue straight or to turn and follow the lane line that is now on the exit. By the way, I can't see that the USE HOV checkbox does a thing. I have it checked and set a route that would take on roads with an HOV lane and a Toll/HOV lanes. The guidance never once told me to move to the left to enter the HOV lane. I seemed to completely ignore the HOV lane.
I am not quite sure Nav on AP even uses the map information in that way. I believe it still will try to center the vehicle in the lane if the lane widens (from the cars perspective of line following).

Reactions: SalisburySam
I can confirm that you can accelerate on a auto lane change and after you make space it will execute it. Done it about 50 times already.
Where was your set-point relative to [what Tesla believed was] the posted speed limit?

And this was the order blinker-to-start-change, manual acceleration, remove foot, lane change begins?

Had the speed returned to the set point before steering maneuver began? Or did the lane change begin even while your foot was still on the pedal?

I hope they fix the dash cam issue and the browser on LTE issue when they re-launch.