Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first morning commute with 42.2 and Navigate on Autopilot was... extremely underwhelming.

It never suggested overtaking during my commute despite traffic moving much slower than my setpoint and the left lane moving slightly faster, though this didn't bother me much as I would not have overtaken either probably.

What setting did you have the NAP set at, "Mad Max"?

Noticed a roughly 650 MB download to my car overnight Sunday for me. I received the notification shortly thereafter.

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 08.24.04.png

Just got 42.2 and I can confirm that Navigate on Autopilot is not available in Canada (yet). We do get the UI change with the much-requested camera at the top or Nav, Camera and Media player at once. It also fixed the bug where it wouldn't show the radio station name in the binnacle display, which is much appreciated.

Shame! Hopefully we'll get it in Canada soon.

Can you confirm if the media player remembers it's position when you exit the car and enter it again? I like to have the media player in it's smallest position and every time I exit the car, lock it, and re-enter it, it goes back to the medium size.

oomdTz

Nope, only music on bottom allows any of the select apps on top (of which browser is not one).

This is a pretty off-the-wall update for an already bad release. What's so special about the media app that the other apps (excluding the web browser) are so dependent on?

The v9 combination of what can/can't be displayed on 17" monitor does not make sense at all:

- You can have any app at the bottom, but nothing on the top except the nav
- You can have any app (the web browser an exception) on the top as long as the media app is at the bottom

Very bizarre.

My wife and I travelling in Europe since Oct 21st. I got update notification on the Tesla App at 10:30am Oct 29th in Spain. Thanks to V9, I was able to software update from my mobile phone in Spain to my 2016 MX 75D in Austin TX.

Gotta love that.
According to my app my software version in now 42.2 19e7e44.

Very excited to get home and try out NAVIGATE ON AUTOPILOT.

I am not a beta tester.

Reactions: Bogobec
You cannot. In 42.2 map is always on top. Music, if it's open, is always on the bottom. You can optionally have another app (camera, browser) in the middle. The app will be slightly smaller than it used to be in the dual split-screen mode.

Can I have the camera and the web browser at the same time displayed? If so, what would the stack look like? Thanks.

My first morning commute with 42.2 and Navigate on Autopilot was... extremely underwhelming. And not just because you have to confirm the lane changes. The car does not know where the it is and what is happening next. The overall experience is terrifying. I'm glad you have to confirm lane changes. It still recognizes shoulders as lanes sometimes. It does not know that the lane you're in is ending in a couple hundred feet. It drives like a drunk when merging onto the highway and exiting. It only realizes it's time to exit when the exit lane is mostly behind you and it's pretty much too late.

NOA engaged as soon as I got onto the on-ramp to the highway. I thought that was pretty good, it knew when I was on the ramp. It was all downhill from there (figuratively, not literally). It could not merge into slow-moving traffic at the end of the ramp. It didn't really even try -- it never suggested that I get out of the acceleration lane and onto the highway. I initiated a lane change on my own near the end of the lane because it was getting dangerous to wait for NOA to do it. It then attempted to execute the merge and ended up rapidly ping-ponging in a way that was dangerous and confusing to other drivers so I took over.

It never suggested overtaking during my commute despite traffic moving much slower than my setpoint and the left lane moving slightly faster, though this didn't bother me much as I would not have overtaken either probably. I stayed in the right lane until my exit. The navigation clearly knew when the exit was coming up but NOA did not suggest a lane change until way, way too late. I let it take its time because traffic was slow and I was willing to expirement because risk was low, but basically half of the deceleration lane was behind me by the time NOA finally suggested moving over. I confirmed and once again got a very awkwardly-executed auto lane change into the off-ramp and took over immediately to avoid looking like I was drunk. If I had been going anywhere near the speed limit (traffic was moving at about 10mph on the highway) I would have either missed that exit or ended up very suddenly taking the exit at the last minute, which would have been dangerous.

At present, this is the most useless feature, probably more useless than the Atari games. Let's hope it improves once they get those 10M miles...

Interesting as my 1st NOA experience was good other than I thought it needed to get over for the exit much earlier. Mine was a rainy & Construction sprinkled affair too... it changed for M59 to I75 excellent and to the Exit great as well. I did notice the extra Lanes that were not lanes, but those were 2 over. Once I got in the next lane it figured out the 4th lane was not a lane.

Curious how busy your commute was? Mine was medium traffic on a Saturday

My first morning commute with 42.2 and Navigate on Autopilot was... extremely underwhelming. And not just because you have to confirm the lane changes. The car does not know where the it is and what is happening next. The overall experience is terrifying. I'm glad you have to confirm lane changes. It still recognizes shoulders as lanes sometimes. It does not know that the lane you're in is ending in a couple hundred feet. It drives like a drunk when merging onto the highway and exiting. It only realizes it's time to exit when the exit lane is mostly behind you and it's pretty much too late.

NOA engaged as soon as I got onto the on-ramp to the highway. I thought that was pretty good, it knew when I was on the ramp. It was all downhill from there (figuratively, not literally). It could not merge into slow-moving traffic at the end of the ramp. It didn't really even try -- it never suggested that I get out of the acceleration lane and onto the highway. I initiated a lane change on my own near the end of the lane because it was getting dangerous to wait for NOA to do it. It then attempted to execute the merge and ended up rapidly ping-ponging in a way that was dangerous and confusing to other drivers so I took over.

It never suggested overtaking during my commute despite traffic moving much slower than my setpoint and the left lane moving slightly faster, though this didn't bother me much as I would not have overtaken either probably. I stayed in the right lane until my exit. The navigation clearly knew when the exit was coming up but NOA did not suggest a lane change until way, way too late. I let it take its time because traffic was slow and I was willing to expirement because risk was low, but basically half of the deceleration lane was behind me by the time NOA finally suggested moving over. I confirmed and once again got a very awkwardly-executed auto lane change into the off-ramp and took over immediately to avoid looking like I was drunk. If I had been going anywhere near the speed limit (traffic was moving at about 10mph on the highway) I would have either missed that exit or ended up very suddenly taking the exit at the last minute, which would have been dangerous.

At present, this is the most useless feature, probably more useless than the Atari games. Let's hope it improves once they get those 10M miles...

Just finished the first 1/2 of my 100 mile 95%+ expressway daily commute with 2018.42.2 Navigate on Autopilot. I would not say I was ever terrified nor would I say I was underwhelmed. (could be because our lanes are very well marked on most Atlanta expressways)

In areas where traffic was not too heavy NavOnAutopilot worked beautifully and as expected and suggested lane changes and handled them with confidence. This included one major Interstate change where it automatically turned on the blinker and took the ramp with no driver input.

The bad part. When approaching the Interstate change portion of my commute I have to move from the HOV/PPU lane over 5 lanes to the transition ramp for my interstate change. If you are in heavy stop and go traffic, or just heavy traffic that is moving slowly but erratic speeds between lanes, NavOnAutopilot is NOT ready yet. It will recommend/suggest lane changes but when you acknowledge and it tries on its own, it will come to a complete stop waiting for an opening. I let it do this twice to make sure it was a pattern and not an anomaly and it totally did it a second time. I had to disengage AP, by the way as I always have had to for this transition, as automatic lane changes are really no more confident with heavy traffic than it has ever been sadly so. Still needs much more work on predicting traffic and merging in were available. If AP was as confident speeding up as it is forcibly hitting the brakes this kind of transition would be much more capable.

As I said for most of my commute it did work beautifully and as you would expect it to. I may be a little more forgiving than some as I have put so many commute miles on my car that I am pretty intimate with
what and when EAP will do and tend to take over when I know it will fail.

I really do wish Tesla would ask more people, or at least those that commute many many miles a day, to participate in the Early Access Program so that meaningful and detailed analysis could be provided. I don't know about the masses of EAP participants as is but an acquaintance of mine that was asked to participate does very little expressway driving, which seems to be the emphasis of EAP at the moment, and has a very short daily commute. Really makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet upgrading to V9 seeing as the .42 update seems to a reasonable compromise (although I do hope they return to allow me to put any app on top and any app on bottom....camera on top, media on bottom was my most common configuration, but I also liked camera on top and maps on bottom sometimes, typically just to check traffic congestion). However I'm .39, and it's horrible. I need this .42 update to come asap!

What setting did you have the NAP set at, "Mad Max"?

I have it set to "Average" but according to the release notes and feedback from early access users, this setting does not affect how conservative the blind spot check is to know whether you want to move into a lane. It only determines how willing the car is to go slightly below its setpoint. And I was well below the setpoint (set to 65mph, rarely got above 30mph). I assume it did not want to change lanes because I was either moving too slowly for this feature to be enabled at all, or it was not comfortable with the somewhat tight openings that presented themselves in the left lane. (As a human driver though, there were several opportunities I could have easily taken if I had wanted to.)

Interesting as my 1st NOA experience was good other than I thought it needed to get over for the exit much earlier. Mine was a rainy & Construction sprinkled affair too... it changed for M59 to I75 excellent and to the Exit great as well. I did notice the extra Lanes that were not lanes, but those were 2 over. Once I got in the next lane it figured out the 4th lane was not a lane.

There is one part of my commute where there's an "emergency pull-over" lane that goes nowhere but exists for a brief time. It identified this as a lane even when I was right next to it. Other than that, yes it was only identifying shoulders as lanes when there was another lane between my and the shoulder. The point of my complaint is that if you're going to trust NOA to know what lane you should be in, it should really know what the lanes are on the section of road you're currently on, and if it's actually able to do that then it should know from the map how many lanes there are, and which lane you're in, and so know that the shoulder can't possibly be a lane. If it can't do this reliably it can't really do what it's supposed to.

Curious how busy your commute was? Mine was medium traffic on a Saturday

Mostly stop-and-go traffic below 20mph, brief bursts of 30-40mph.

Just finished the first 1/2 of my 100 mile 95%+ expressway daily commute with 2018.42.2 Navigate on Autopilot. I would not say I was ever terrified nor would I say I was underwhelmed. (could be because our lanes are very well marked on most Atlanta expressways)

In areas where traffic was not too heavy NavOnAutopilot worked beautifully and as expected and suggested lane changes and handled them with confidence.

The difference between your experience and mine is probably that my commute was in the dark on a slightly crazy urban highway in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The lanes are reasonably well-marked, but they're crazy in the way that typical cramped urban highways in older cities are. So the deceleration lane for my exit, for example, is pretty short. (The acceleration lane where I get onto the highway though is very generous; there's no excuse for it not being able to merge there.)

But... if this feature is going to be useful to urban commuters in these kinds of cities, it needs to handle this. And if they're ever going to pull off anything like FSD, then I'd say that EAP needs to be able to handle any clearly-marked highway you throw at it, because this is way easier than FSD on typical local roads.

Reactions: croman
I have it set to "Average" but according to the release notes and feedback from early access users, this setting does not affect how conservative the blind spot check is to know whether you want to move into a lane. It only determines how willing the car is to go slightly below its setpoint. And I was well below the setpoint (set to 65mph, rarely got above 30mph). I assume it did not want to change lanes because I was either moving too slowly for this feature to be enabled at all, or it was not comfortable with the somewhat tight openings that presented themselves in the left lane. (As a human driver though, there were several opportunities I could have easily taken if I had wanted to.)

Yes this setting only is used to determine the level below setpoint the car will accept before suggesting a lane change. It should not be affected by actual speed, nor is it affected by available traffic openings regarding a suggested change unless traffic in other lanes is not moving much faster than you are. It may balk at changing lanes as you have seen in these circumstances but still should have suggested the lane change.

You cannot. In 42.2 map is always on top. Music, if it's open, is always on the bottom. You can optionally have another app (camera, browser) in the middle. The app will be slightly smaller than it used to be in the dual split-screen mode.
You can not put the browser in the "middle" (a.k.a. the new on top).

It's the only app that you can't, which is just as mind boggling as the rest of the looney UI changes in V9.