Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll add that NoA will also automatically merge into a new lane on the right if it wants to be in the right-most lane. I passed a spot where the right lane splits into two lanes and the autopilot turned on the turn signal and took the right lane. This was a spot that used to sometimes cause an aborted half-merge swerve.

Is the option to "Keep Climate On" taken away? I can't find it after the software update.

Also in the past I would precool my car by enabling the AC using the app. The fan would run at 11, but once I got inside and stepped on the brakes the settings would change back to my last fan speed settings which was 3. Now it just stays at 11 and I'll need to manually change it.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Is the option to "Keep Climate On" taken away? I can't find it after the software update.

Also in the past I would precool my car by enabling the AC using the app. The fan would run at 11, but once I got inside and stepped on the brakes the settings would change back to my last fan speed settings which was 3. Now it just stays at 11 and I'll need to manually change it.

Is anyone else noticing this?

The "Keep Climate On" option is there. You'll just have to press the fan icon on the bottom of the screen when you're parked.

As far as the Climate settings... I feel like this update was a step back from v8 climate functionality. I can't really complain though because I'm loving the Autopilot right now. Lane change is smooth and confident, NoA works pretty good, and I get less of those IC glitches with the car "crashing" onto me.

Day 4 on NoA and have really come to appreciate this update - it really is quite significant. Headed from downtown directly to an on-ramp. NoA activates from the beginning of the on ramp. All of a sudden it starts slowing down. A car to the right is merging from an interchange. There was no other reason for it slow down.... it noticed a merging car, slowed down before I even noticed it was there, and let it enter. That is insane and quite a leap. This has happened twice now and it is quite something to see.

At first was somewhat ambivalent and spent more time on the IC than I would have ever liked to. Now that I’m used to NoA it is yet a further decrease in driving effort and back to normal use of the IC. It manages more including full handling of the blinkers. It’s still too slow in accelerating as always on the on ramps, but I’m sure this will improve. I have to say I’m quite happy with NoA and proud of Tesla for their work.

Day 4 on NoA and have really come to appreciate this update - it really is quite significant. Headed from downtown directly to an on-ramp. NoA activates from the beginning of the on ramp. All of a sudden it starts slowing down. A car to the right is merging from an interchange. There was no other reason for it slow down.... it noticed a merging car, slowed down before I even noticed it was there, and let it enter. That is insane and quite a leap. This has happened twice now and it is quite something to see.

I have never seen it do this despite it having several opportunities to do so. I still have to disengage to merge, regardless of whether I'm the one merging or the on in the lane being merged into.

Also, Elon mentioned this in the recent interview, but I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere else: after taking an exit from the freeway to surface streets, it’ll automatically stop at the first intersection(I’ve tried this and it works quite well). The implication of that being that it can already detect and stop correctly for intersections.

I don't know if it's detecting intersections or using the map to know that it's at an intersection. I've seen it slow down (I didn't let it stop to avoid getting read-ended, but it seemed to be stopping) at the end of aramp that merges onto a not-NoA-enabled highway. That's not an intersection, and in fact it's quite dangerous to stop there. Autosteer is quite capable of handling that highway (it's a divided highway) but it's not an interstate so it doesn't enable NoA there.

Do you have NOA with 42.4?

I noticed a good amount on Tesla Fi Firmware Tracker going from 42.3 to 42.4. I figured something is wrong with 42.3 because I don't have NOA and others don't either (I also tried driving for a while to no avail).

I didn’t have 42.3 long enough (only had it for 6 hours) to even determine if NoA was available or worked. On 42.4, I do have the option but have not tried it yet, so yes, 42.4 has NoA.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
I don't know if it's detecting intersections or using the map to know that it's at an intersection. I've seen it slow down (I didn't let it stop to avoid getting read-ended, but it seemed to be stopping) at the end of aramp that merges onto a not-NoA-enabled highway. That's not an intersection, and in fact it's quite dangerous to stop there. Autosteer is quite capable of handling that highway (it's a divided highway) but it's not an interstate so it doesn't enable NoA there.

Not sure how it works if it leads to a merge without an intersection, but when I tried it out, it stopped perfectly at the line for the intersection each time(and showed up the blue “HOLD” indicator). Could be using maps, but if so, that’s pretty remarkable mapping.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I bought my car BECAUSE it updates, I can live with the choices because in the long run it gets better. Otherwise I could stick with my never changing BMW, with $150 map updates every 3 years.

I need Tesla's updates like a bad cold. For all that Version 9 took away, I never used the rear camera when I wasn't in reverse. So, not sure that split screen and full screen capability will come back. It's great that AP2 owners seem happy, though. Just odd how Tesla seems to be playing with customer loyalty, when basic QC would show they were inviting a backlash. Do they want this?

I'm super excited for all of you AP2.x car owners that can look past the diminishing of the UI while hyper-focusing on the AP improvements. Unfortunately for the rest of us, we would just like the functionality to remain that we already had...
..Almost at post #80, of this thread, trying to surf TMC to see which direction Tesla's latest goes; up or downgrade. The "update" screen now means a mandatory reading list.

Reactions: JohnnyG and kavyboy
I need Tesla's updates like a bad cold. For all that Version 9 took away, I never used the rear camera when I wasn't in reverse. So, not sure that split screen and full screen capability will come back. It's great that AP2 owners seem happy, though. Just odd how Tesla seems to be playing with customer loyalty, when basic QC would show they were inviting a backlash. Do they want this?

I am an AP2.5 owner and hate everything that Version 9 has brought so far. I have 42.2 and everything has gotten worse. The UI is a monstrosity that has less features than before and requires more digging to access simple functions. It constantly bombards you with distracting animations and messages. Autopilot has regressed in this version - I get micro-oscillations in lane and often the car does not want to stay centred. Navigate on Autopilot is just a gimmick at present - using it puts me a very heightened risk for an accident (most likely caused by another vehicle that cannot anticipate my car's actions). I'd happily roll back to the ~week 20 firmware if I had the chance.

I was part of the initial public rollout of Version 9 and was one of the early people to complain about it on these forums. Quite a few fanatics jumped all over me for being outspoken about Tesla screwing up. Now that the update has had time to sink in, it seems more apparent to people that Version 9 isn't right.

I am an AP2.5 owner and hate everything that Version 9 has brought so far. I have 42.2 and everything has gotten worse. The UI is a monstrosity that has less features than before and requires more digging to access simple functions. It constantly bombards you with distracting animations and messages. Autopilot has regressed in this version - I get micro-oscillations in lane and often the car does not want to stay centred. Navigate on Autopilot is just a gimmick at present - using it puts me a very heightened risk for an accident (most likely caused by another vehicle that cannot anticipate my car's actions). I'd happily roll back to the ~week 20 firmware if I had the chance.

I was part of the initial public rollout of Version 9 and was one of the early people to complain about it on these forums. Quite a few fanatics jumped all over me for being outspoken about Tesla screwing up. Now that the update has had time to sink in, it seems more apparent to people that Version 9 isn't right.

Interesting how vastly different the experiences are from person to person and puzzles me as to why. For me, V9 has been wonderful in every regard on an MX AP2.0. I see none of the issues you mention. As for distracting animations and messages, maybe I am just used to that from having been a Navy pilot. Doesn't bother me, yet I understand the frustration people might have.

Interesting how vastly different the experiences are from person to person and puzzles me as to why. For me, V9 has been wonderful in every regard on an MX AP2.0. I see none of the issues you mention. As for distracting animations and messages, maybe I am just used to that from having been a Navy pilot. Doesn't bother me, yet I understand the frustration people might have.

*shrug*, seems to happen with every major release. Either some select small group of people are unlucky in some way w/regards to their particular car or area, or just any change will disrupt someone’s preferred workflow(or both). Over time, it’ll smooth out until the next major update invites a bunch of complaints.

Reactions: ChrML and Hbrink

I can appreciate this perspective as well. I'll make clear that I have no problem with people who like the overall experience of Version 9. The true problem - and it is EVERYONE's problem - is that developers should have been doing UI clean-up and increasing customisation options. They did the nearly the opposite. Although they did simplify some menus, they also shuffled around and buried functions. They shoved certain fixed UI layouts down our throats, seemingly designed by people who do not drive a Tesla. This decision is why this version is so polar. Instead of everyone being able to set up their car how they like it, people were forced into a single camp.

The thing that I really don't like is that fanatics are using this situation as some kind of excuse to trash others. "If you don't like Tesla's latest change, then you are being an overly-sensitive, entitled brat who doesn't deserve to drive this car. You are being graced by Tesla to receive these updates free of charge." This is literally the culmination of everything I've seen in the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure why these toxic individuals and opinions are tolerated.

Separately, I'm also puzzled by the difference in autopilot experience. Just for reference, I use the system as intended: on well-marked freeways that are generally straight or have reasonable turns. I'm also in Tesla's home state, which is reportedly where performance is supposed to be the best. I had great performance before, around weeks 18-20.

I too have a background in aviation. I'm a general aviation pilot and work in aerospace engineering on navigation systems. It should not matter whether or not you are used to it - displaying distracting or conflicting information to a vehicle operator is not ideal. You obviously have more experience than I do, so you can tell me if this is wrong, but any time I see something flashing or an instrument behaving erratically, I address it. By bombarding me with alerts, I either have to work harder to address them all or I risk missing / ignoring the truly important ones. A simple example in the Tesla is the 360-degree traffic view. The visualised cars are still jittery, and periodically it looks like one is going to crash into me. At the very least, I have to take my eyes off of my driving task to determine that it is a false alarm. What would be great is if we could just have an option to turn such features on or off. That way if you like it, you can keep it, and if you don't, you can get rid of it. I don't see how there would be a fairer deal than that.

*shrug*, seems to happen with every major release. Either some select small group of people are unlucky in some way w/regards to their particular car or area, or just any change will disrupt someone’s preferred workflow(or both). Over time, it’ll smooth out until the next major update invites a bunch of complaints.
Also this group of people love to exaggerate:
  • The car UI is completely useless now
  • The update is dangerous and will cause accidents
  • Etc...

I'm sorry, but this is a completely false characterisation of the concerns about Version 9. There are tons of posts that detail exactly what the issues are. You should go back and understand them before rudely dismissing other owners.
Not dismissing all v9 critics. Some arguments are absolutely valid.

But it starts to become very silly when it's exaggerated to highest level possible, and actually calling the update useless, dangerous, lemon-law etc... First world problems. :rolleyes: Not everyone, but a few people do this.

My 2 cents after finally driving 2018.42.2 19e7e44 on a AP 2.0 75D with EAP and FSD.

It's a great improvement. I don't mind the UI one bit but I understand it's a matter of personal taste. For me stacking several apps is nice.

In terms of the NoA I've been critical of EAP and FSD in the past but this is encouraging. It's nowhere near FSD but with many improvements it could meet what was promised (IMO) for FSD. What was a bit disappointing was the limited options I had for getting a NoA route to test it in my area. In the metro Detroit area it seemed to have very limited options going north, and no exit info I could find for local M routes like M-59 or M-23 which are major roads but not interstates.

I took the car south on I-75 through construction but a route It offered for NoA. Custom setting was at average. Next time I will try Mad Max. the way it handled and suggested lane changes was great. The red lines on one lane side or another indicating limited AP due to things like construction or traffic was welcome and intuitive. The way it called out construction is a confidence booster. I was in a scenario for some time where our lane was moving slowly due to traffic but the adjacent lane was moving much more quickly, I was watching but was pleased it didn't suggest to leap out in front of fast moving traffic on a curve or hill. The car activates its own signals which is smooth and on the average setting it seemed to compete with normal traffic very well.

One area for improvement is cars merging in from a normal or sudden on-ramp. If it's capable of doing this I didn't see it and some UI indicator on the driver display would be nice to indicate the car recognizes a merging vehicle. Another improvement would be additional routes in the Michigan area that qualify, but I get this is likely a limited intelligence problem. I just have to take new highway exits and see if they become available. I did notice that once i eventually traveled to my southern destination and entered the location I previously desired up north it was a NoA route. My GF and I figure this has something to do with a distance requirement.

Also in general the overall driving performance of the AP seems more natural than any previous update I've had.

Overall I'm pleased and I'm eager to see new routes / updates. The browser still sucks of course and I don't have the dash cam feature but if they keep this up that will finally be small potatoes.