Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys!

Just got my S AP 2.0 back from the SC with 2018.6.7ffa6f7 installed.

AP is rerunning a bit off. Hugging the left (never did that before) and almost ran me into a guard rail on the highway. This is not ready for prime time IMO.

The one thing it does better then .4 is lane change. It's actually a little bit more "natural" not are how to quantify that.

Greg

• Informative
Reactions: R.S, dow and croman
Guys!

Just got my S AP 2.0 back from the SC with 2018.6.7ffa6f7 installed.

AP is rerunning a bit off. Hugging the left (never did that before) and almost ran me into a guard rail on the highway. This is not ready for prime time IMO.

The one thing it does better then .4 is lane change. It's actually a little bit more "natural" not are how to quantify that.

Greg

Did you have any alignment / wheel work done, or perhaps a hardware replacement that required calibration? A lot of folks report right after getting their car from a service center that AP has a bias, but it seems like that's more often related to something other than the software change.

• Helpful
Reactions: kodek
Yes, actually. The car needs alignment and new tires. Could not get that done at this appointment. They took the wheels off then put them back on. Not sure how that impacts the left bias. The car drove straight. Interesting thought though.

I will be picking up my X tomorrow and was assured that It will be updated to 2018.6.7ffa6f7 as well. This time with no wheel work done. I'll let you know if the AP acts up.

Yes, actually. The car needs alignment and new tires. Could not get that done at this appointment. Not sure how that impacts the left bias. The car drove straight. Interesting thought though.
FWIW when I got my car delivered, AP2 would always bias itself about 5 inches to the left of the lane line. Like it literally pulls to straddle the lane line and then holds stable there. If you let it do that for a couple miles, it will start slowly fixing itself.

The service center realigned my tires and that magically corrected the bias. No firmware change.

Roadside Assistance? Anyone that doesn't have the number in their phone doesn't *deserve* to get help. j/k.... Seems like a weird add at this point, but I guess good for those not as prepared as TMC'ers.

And for the software on request: Out of all the cars (300K?!), how many people really would do it? We aren't that many crazy people here, even though it feels like it sometimes.... Nowhere near the load Apple gets!

I spoke with Tesla this morning about pushing an update to my car because I haven't gotten one after mine had a failed install. I asked her what improvements were in the newest software and she said they also had some improvements to the autowipers. There is also a new predictive climate control that is on by standard. She said a lot of people have been calling in wondering why their climate control starts up all on its own and this is why. Once you get the update be sure to switch that off if you don't want that. It is a location and time based predictive climate control.
This doesn't make any sense to me as I see no evidence. I am interested in your post tho as I have had my X oddly turn climate on.
I just came from 2017.50 to 2018.6 today and my "smart preconditioning" has not changed and I saw no new options.

Below from just now and I installed 2018.6 a few hours ago.

FBHE8SZ.jpg

This doesn't make any sense to me as I see no evidence. I am interested in your post tho as I have had my X oddly turn climate on.
I just came from 2017.50 to 2018.6 today and my "smart preconditioning" has not changed and I saw no new options.

FBHE8SZ.jpg

Since my car still hasn’t gotten an update I don’t have an answer. I’m sure if I called Tesla again I would probably be told something completely different.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200

FBHE8SZ.jpg

That's not new, smart pre conditioning has always been there. Never seen it actually do anything except potentially drain my battery to 0 while my car was parked at the airport for 6 days on 18.4.1. had 200 miles of range when i left it. Should have only lost at most 5 miles a day.

That's not new, smart pre conditioning has always been there. Never seen it actually do anything except potentially drain my battery to 0 while my car was parked at the airport for 6 days on 18.4.1. had 200 miles of range when i left it. Should have only lost at most 5 miles a day.
Sorry for any confusion. I absolutely was not suggesting it is new. I was pointing out that a) mine was still off after the update and b) there is not a new option related to the HVAC on that screen.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Sorry for any confusion. I absolutely was not suggesting it is new. I was pointing out that a) mine was still off after the update and b) there is not a new option related to the HVAC on that screen.
Gotcha... have you ever had it do anything? I think mine has been on and all it did was drain my battery randomly for some reason. I keep forgetting to shut it off, but will today!

Gotcha... have you ever had it do anything? I think mine has been on and all it did was drain my battery randomly for some reason. I keep forgetting to shut it off, but will today!
I bought my first X after I was no longer working so never used it when it was introduced. It seems super clever but if people don't trust it then it was a waste. I think they would need to externalize some data about it to let people trust it more (when started temp, when stopped, battery usage, etc). Sometimes Tesla tends to hide more than I would think is reasonable even if they are not selling to nerds as much and want to get to the masses (TM3 and higher production S and X).

I bought my first X after I was no longer working so never used it when it was introduced. It seems super clever but if people don't trust it then it was a waste. I think they would need to externalize some data about it to let people trust it more (when started temp, when stopped, battery usage, etc). Sometimes Tesla tends to hide more than I would think is reasonable even if they are not selling to nerds as much and want to get to the masses (TM3 and higher production S and X).

I mean, I turned it on because I wanted it to warm the car every morning when I went to work. But it never did anything in either car I have.. and S and an X. Then I had the car parked at the airport for 6 days and randomly the battery dropped to 0 and I could not connect. I dont know when it happened because I was not checking on the car every day. I made sure to leave it with 200 miles so that it would be more then 120 when I got back. Since then, I had it parked in almost identical weather for 5 days and it was fine. I checked it every day and lost 2-5 miles per day depending on how cold it was. It could have been something completely different that caused it to drop to 0 but I had read on this forum that there was a bug with the pre-conditioning coming on and staying on. I have no confirmation of that, just reading this forum and wondering what else could have caused that for a car that normally functions very well.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Report from my local service center is that 2018.6 fixes the front parking sensor failures that have been plaguing a number of vehicles (mine included) for months. I wouldn't expect mention of that in the public release notes...

So I got the update and I am still experiencing the parking sensor failure. I no longer have confidence that Tesla even knows what the cause is or has any idea how to fix it.

Funny you should say that. I've been experiencing the exact same thing.

Car is very new, no alignment problems, and the left-side bias is huge. And, it always happens (100% repeatable) in the same spots on certain roads. In other places it is fine.

The dash display shows the car hitting the left lane line, the wheel will vibrate with the lane departure warning, and the side sensors light up red as it almost grinds me into the divider! So the car "knows" what it's doing is wrong in three different ways, yet autopilot is super determined to do it, and keep doing it, anyway.

Something in the motion control side?

This problem is new with 2018.4+ for me.