Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make up your mind. Is it fixed or it may be fixed?

Du calme, Ferdinand! :D

I'm sure he meant it "is maybe fixed" [English is a weird language!], i.e. speculating prior to his test drive that inserting the missing chime is more or less the extent of the update.

In any case it cannot be much else, coming 2 days after 4.2, and for me 4.3 was a 199MB download compared to 833MB for 4.2 [coming from 50.7]

Finishing installing now so will let you know definitely in about 20min ...

OK, preliminary report on 2019.4.3 -- it has some excellent news and some slightly bad!

1. Bad: BSW-chime is still entirely inaudible! Which is beyond a joke but I suppose what we have come to expect ... ;)

2. Excellent: something entirely new on Model S ... when overtaking in AP on motorway one now only needs to tip the stalk, the indicator then stays on [previously did 3 blinks only] and changes lane when traffic permits, then cancels itself out when finished. [in TACC it just does the 3 blinks]. This is a very comfortable feature obviously in preparation for NoAP, which Herr Musk BTW remarked in his recent podcast should be approved by EU regulators around this week or next, so we should be seeing that within a month or two, I expect.

3. Also good, the 4.2 reversion to maintaining set speed on AP>TACC is still there so looks like it will be permanent.

4. Speed control on motorway exits seems to be better, i.e. slowing sufficiently on curves although set speed remains high. In general very smooth overall on motorway, seems to look further ahead to avoid fighter-jet acceleration/deceleration in traffic.

5. Have read elsewhere that people are getting 5.3GB of map updates starting today in USA so maybe worth connecting to WiFi. (no update in Europe yet AFAICT).

Last edited:
I personally like this prevents the sudden acceleration which took me by surprise a few times.

They should make it a setting so you can pick. But I pick that disengaging autosteer should not affect TACC. Perhaps the best would be that TACC gently accelerates back to the set speed after an autosteer disengage below the set speed, perhaps after a delay of several seconds, rather than rapidly.

1. Another transient bug fixed is that we can now switch off the lights via Quick Access menu again ... in 4.2 the toggle was greyed out and the whole bar inactive:
IMG_5255.jpg

2. AP also seems better at stopping for things around corners, as if the wide-angle cam is finally being used for actual driving and not just the mess of auto-wipers.

3. AP braked smoothly to a halt from 80kph for a car stopped at lights, which I believe to have not seen before. If it will now do the same from 150kph on Autobahn for a stopped traffic jam then I would be very delighted, as that would be Firetruck Super-Destruction (ironic FSD) mode, the worst bug in the whole system, finally solved! (testing this is something of a challenge though)

• Informative
Reactions: croman and conman
Du calme, Ferdinand! :D

I'm sure he meant it "is maybe fixed" [English is a weird language!], i.e. speculating prior to his test drive that inserting the missing chime is more or less the extent of the update.

In any case it cannot be much else, coming 2 days after 4.2, and for me 4.3 was a 199MB download compared to 833MB for 4.2 [coming from 50.7]

Finishing installing now so will let you know definitely in about 20min ...
Thanks

Reactions: OPRCE
I’m not taking sides in this, but I am amused that a forum of people who believe AI can decipher California construction zone lane lines but also believe AI can’t turn the word “dot” into a dot.
I know tons of Infosec people who also do this (spell out 'at' and 'dot') and always wondered why 'experts' at security think automated processes that can auto-lowercase things and automatically try thousands of passwords a second to break a login on a hashed file of them can't transform 'at' to '@' and 'dot' to '.'. Makes you think... :D

On non-OT topics, 2019.5.4 is also out. They'll fix this stuff eventually. How can BSW work in Europe and not here? I thought it was supposed to work (beep) when you turned on the turn signal? What are we/I missing?

How can BSW work in Europe and not here?

In Switzerland I tried 4.2 and 4.3 every which way, in AP, TACC and manual driving, with indicator into car in next lane and it never made a peep, although the line on IC and the icon of car in BS both turned red.

Only thing I did not try is *not* indicating while steering into the lane of another car a bit ... will have to detect a suspect who looks to have slightly strong nerves for this test ;)

PS: Just tried it without indicators in TACC and manual ... no BSW at all, visual or audible, so I don't know what they are doing differently up in Norway, unless it is someone with a M3 and early access software?

2. Excellent: something entirely new on Model S ... when overtaking in AP on motorway one now only needs to tip the stalk, the indicator then stays on [previously did 3 blinks only] and changes lane when traffic permits, then cancels itself out when finished. [in TACC it just does the 3 blinks]. This is a very comfortable feature obviously in preparation for NoAP, which Herr Musk BTW remarked in his recent podcast should be approved by EU regulators around this week or next, so we should be seeing that within a month or two, I expect.

A further note regarding the AP indicator memory function on MS: on 2-lane country roads it will overtake if clear of opposing traffic for 200m up ahead but cancel the signal and move back to own lane if seeing approaching vehicles, or just immediately cancel the signal without moving out if opposing vehicles are very close or if seeing a solid white centre-line. Another nice surprise!

Detection of bicycles seems improved but still does not deviate around them. For crossing traffic appears to brake a little less suddenly. Visualisation of passing cars in IC is definitely smoother.

I have the feeling with WA-cam now more active AP should pretty well stop for a pedestrian moving on zebra-crossing in town.

On my standard countryside test-stretch today 4.3 performed steering and braking much like 4.2 but corrected itself to the wrong side of the road on the 110° bend at 30kph and again on another spot with no centre-line. i.e. the steering is "seeking" more actively and makes pretty sharp corrections which sometimes go the wrong way. But for normal curves and markings on stretches with 80kph limit it is no longer the hair-raising experience of scraping around most corners far too fast.

Finally, I think AP is now watching for blinkers on other vehicles or at least accurately predicting their paths, as I have today caught 4.3 giving way on two occasions before the other car was within 0.5m of reaching the lane line between us, once on a merging motorway slip-road and also in ordinary motorway traffic cutting in from the right. Another goodly omen for NoAP, methinks.

In summary, I have been surprised [in the good way] to discover 2019.4.3 contains much more than I was expecting!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1 and conman