Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 8.1 2018.34.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've definitely had emergency stops when nothing is in front of me on the highway at least twice while using TACC on 34.1. Never had that problem previously. Once was during the day with the sun out while the other was at night.

The longer you have your car the more likely it is you will experience this. I get them all the time, I just click the button and say "Bug Report, unexpected emergency stop for no obstacle."

Then I move on with my life. Maybe someday these won't happen, but I fear they don't want people hitting Fire Engines anymore so perhaps they are at a point where we have to have some of this in our day. I was thinking perhaps the best strategy wouldn't be to slam on the brakes, just brake a bit and sound the alarm, so if there IS something I can go around, but in the meantime, I am not FREAKIN' out the guy driving behind me.

Even those who are distracted or dozing while on Auto Pilot will respond to brakes and alarms

-Randy

Remember people, if you encounter issues submit a bug report.
Posting that the car did “something stupid” on the forum without reporting a bug doesn’t help anyone and the problem will not get fixed.
To emphasize. Emergency braking incidents are time and location specific and should be reported - they can’t fix themselves.
TLDR - quit moaning about it and report it :cool:

My Model S just downloaded 5.42Gb and uploaded 254 Mb but no new software installed. I am on 32.2 right now.

I am looking at my past thirty days download for the 3. I have had three downloads of about ½ Gb each corresponding to three software installs but then there is an additional download of over 5 Gb on the 17th not corresponding to anything.

I am guessing it is nav updates explaining why they only want to push them out over WiFi (unless of course if they are pushing out Ver. 9 in parts due to its size :p).

Ever since I updated to to 34.1 my 2006 SD constantly tells me Park Assist not Availabe. I have never even tried park assist. Just about every time I stop for any reason I get that nag. Also many times when trying to back out of my garage it slams on the brakes over and over. I can only move about 2 feet and it locks up. I think it sees the shadow of my house on the driveway. Very annoying, but my nieghbors get a lot of laughs watching me stop, stop, stop. Anybody have a solution? I have rebooted ably 25 times to no avail.

Ever since I updated to to 34.1 my 2006 SD constantly tells me Park Assist not Availabe. I have never even tried park assist. Just about every time I stop for any reason I get that nag. Also many times when trying to back out of my garage it slams on the brakes over and over. I can only move about 2 feet and it locks up. I think it sees the shadow of my house on the driveway. Very annoying, but my nieghbors get a lot of laughs watching me stop, stop, stop. Anybody have a solution? I have rebooted ably 25 times to no avail.

Two questions, when you are backing out:
  1. Do you have your seat belt on?
  2. Do you lift your butt off the seat as you twist to look behind you?
If you don't have your seat belt on and you lift out of the seat it thinks you have exited the vehicle and applies the parking brake.

Note: I'm not aware of any emergency braking feature for when you are going backwards.

The park assist not being available likely means that one, or more, of the ultrasonic parking sensors isn't working. (You should contact your SC about getting that looked at.) But I wouldn't think that would cause it to apply the parking brake.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I am looking at my past thirty days download for the 3. I have had three downloads of about ½ Gb each corresponding to three software installs but then there is an additional download of over 5 Gb on the 17th not corresponding to anything.

I am guessing it is nav updates explaining why they only want to push them out over WiFi (unless of course if they are pushing out Ver. 9 in parts due to its size :p).

Car woke up again at 2:30 this morning and downloaded another 5 Gb of data, 2nd large download in a week. Not sure what to make of it.

Car woke up again at 2:30 this morning and downloaded another 5 Gb of data, 2nd large download in a week. Not sure what to make of it.

I'd guess two copies of the same maps, because the first attempt failed for some reason. For example there might be a single checksum for all 5-GB, and the first try had a couple of bits flipped. So the checksum failed, and the car had to download the whole 5-GB again.

If that's the problem, Tesla could address it by breaking up the 5-GB into smaller chunks, each with its own checksum. But these errors may not happen often enough to be a high priority.

Last time my full self downloading refrigerator woke up by itself in the midnight and downloaded 5GB of video. I hope GE engineers were improving something with my refrig but nothing else. To be safe, I then enabled AiProtection and Parental Controls in my router for the refrig. Or I also hope they add a free LTE.

:p

Reactions: TT97