Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update v8.1 2018.32.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't check battery status so often. That may be the cause.

A couple of weeks ago when the SC updated my car software to 28.1 and updated the Battery Management Software, I was checking battery status every few hours with the Tesla phone app. I lost 9 miles of range that day. I decided to check battery status only once a day. Subtracting out range used driving, my daily vampire drain for the next week dropped to 1, 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, and 1 mile. The app wakes up the car, which consumes power.

Thanks for suggesting to check less. However, I do not check the Tesla app constantly like every 30 minutes. I check once I go to bed. I check once more anywhere between 6-12 hours later. I don't have any third party apps connected to the car either.

I decided to check battery status only once a day.

I set an alarm to check twice a day, If I check once I have to deal with hot days causing the fans to run, or having driven or charged, making for a big change. So mostly I am tracking the 8pm to 7:30am time and tracking if it changes with OS updates. I have not had bad drain since 28.1 or earlier. It's been pretty consistent 0-3 miles a night, usually 2. Days are pretty much the same so I average 4-5 miles a day total. So 15 for 3 days, not bad.

-Randy

I too want vampire battery drain to stop on my Model 3 Performance. I lose more battery power due to the drain than using my car (drove 122.3 miles, using 36 kWh, avg. 294 Wh/mi). I'm currently on 2018.28.2. Last night, after supercharging my Model 3 from 30 miles (last charge got me to 279 miles, 90% limit) to 244 miles (80%), I did a hard reboot (brake pedal + two scroll buttons). It is the second hard reboot I've done to see if this fixes the vampire battery drain. So far today, it shows that I've lost 5 miles over 13 hours period. Looks like that barely improved anything. Still sitting on a 3-4% drain per day.
Do you have the BMS bootloader update? It apparently usually has to be done at a service center, though they're trying to make it possible for Mobile Service to do it. It seems to have fixed the problems for some people.

Do you have the BMS bootloader update? It apparently usually has to be done at a service center, though they're trying to make it possible for Mobile Service to do it. It seems to have fixed the problems for some people.
I had a mobile service performed (faulty headlight), and my tech updated the firmware to latest. He also told me that my service invoice would show a line item for BMS bootloader update, because it had "already been done" on my car, but they needed to document it...
My car hasn't been back to the shop since I picked it up in May.

A couple of weeks ago when the SC updated my car software to 28.1 and updated the Battery Management Software, I was checking battery status every few hours with the Tesla phone app. I lost 9 miles of range that day. I decided to check battery status only once a day. Subtracting out range used driving, my daily vampire drain for the next week dropped to 1, 2, 2, 2, 0, 2, and 1 mile. The app wakes up the car, which consumes power.
I don’t check it. I never wake the car up intentionally. It still losing more charge than I like. Closer to 5 mph a day.

Thanks for suggesting to check less. However, I do not check the Tesla app constantly like every 30 minutes. I check once I go to bed. I check once more anywhere between 6-12 hours later. I don't have any third party apps connected to the car either.
I ended up getting TeslaFi.
It works well and satisfies my need for data :)
Also it lets the car sleep much more, so I only check the app now when I need preconditioning or remote unlock etc.

Reactions: GregRF
I got the update yesterday (from 26.3) and I've had numerous problems since. Some have magically disappeared others not so much.
  • autopilot didn't work until the 3rd time I used the car
  • the good thing is autopilot no longer tries to exit the highway. Today it started to exit but quickly corrected itself so I didn't have to take over.
  • speed limit signs didn't display initially but are ok now
  • 2 of my favorite FM stations are mostly static now. One station is on TuneIn the other is not
  • No LTE coverage today for most of the afternoon so FM was all I had
  • Backup camera comes on immediately now which is nice
  • wipers seem more consistent but still don't keep up with a medium to heavy rain. I have to go manual far too often
  • Tesla app is definitely worse. Sometimes it connects other times it times out. Always takes a long time.
  • Summon works most of the time but I often get error messages even though it works. My favorite is when it tells me I'm too close to the car when I'm actually less than a foot away. But always I get the sensor error regardless of whether Summon works or not.

Phone calls echo seems to be finally completely gone in 32.2. I'm so happy! I felt the autopilot do more tiny corrections on highway but it could be because I got used to ap1 loaner on highway. Ap1 did try to kill me 3 times in two days while ap2.5 only tried 2 times in 3 months. I'm going with ap2.5 is hands down better vs ap1. I see no other noticable behavior difference between 28.1 and 32.2

Oh, ap1 loaner had 28.5

Is too close to the car a real error? I've been able to use summon while inside the car.
Well summon didn't work until I tried it later but someone had to program the error message.
Even when summon works I always get the "Summon was cancelled because the proximity sensor on your phone was covered" after the phone app returns to the prior screen.

Does a big jump from 28.x to 32.x indicate major or more numerous changes?

Tesla's nomenclature for updates are XXXX.YY.Z where X is the year (2018) and Y is the week number (28/32). Week 32 was the week starting 8/5 so assuming .32 is when they first started testing the version as it was not released until this week. 28.x to 32.x just means it was 4 weeks between releases.

Both 28.x and 32.x notes show as "minor improvements and bug fixes." Nothing major in either release.

I saw in a local Tesla FB that someone just launched a site to update requests, where you can vote up the most popular requests. I think the site is technically just a "beta" but I think the owner is trying to roll it out eventually. Might as well start now!

Latest Tesla Feature Requests
Thanks.

Isn't there something in the car that you can update to send in a feature request?

I have a few that are actually dangerous.

For instance:

Did you know that if the light on the bottom of the drivers door ( puddle light ) falls out...while the door is open...the window will automatically go up the 1/2 inch that it normally stays down.....then when you close the door with your normal force...you will either shatter the window or destroy the chrome molding.

Do we need to crazy glue that light on the bottom of the door?
Isn't that the weirdest thing? Why would Tesla program a car to do that?

Do we need to crazy glue that light on the bottom of the door?

I have suggestions to fix stuff like that.