Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that a "hole" or a drain?
No idea what it's purpose is but it does look intentionally designed this way. It is on both driver/passenger front door seals.

My question is if this design may be contributing to the wind noise im hearing from the back of the window close to the B-pillar. If it is in fact a drain then I probably shouldn't block it but if the 2020 seals no longer use this design then maybe it's fine - the problem is that we don't know what other 2020 seal design changes were made. It could also be like the rear deck/trunk cutout that I have on my 6/18 M3 that was later covered with padding and then closed up completely- we still don't know why it was there to start with.

I have been following this post for months. This is what we are doing in Asia.

China has a lot of those anti-noise kit for $10-15. I tried filling the door gaps, frunk gaps, sunroof surrounding, the wind noise keeps coming back. So I cut up the remaining piece from the kit and fill the A-pillar. It works somehow, but my 2019 Aug M3P is getting noise from the upper chrome trim and the front door glass.

My DIY list.
1. the flapping plastic cover on the windshield corner
2. A pillar filling as shown below
3. Filling the gap in between the windshield wipers and hood.

Next.
1. Will pull the mirrors out and inspect for air leaking
2. Will inspect the window surrounding trim

4654e72382a196fa7a05.jpg

View attachment 536104
A lot of thanks for the people who came up with these tips. I added black sugru at the lower end of the A pillar and also stuffed some inside. What a difference in wind noise. Very happy with the results.

dankjewel. I’m guessing the original message was from a Dutch person.

Sugru is definitely the best solution of all the ones tried here given the odd shape and differences in build quality. Glad someone else took my recommendation.

• Love
Reactions: EchoDelta
Sugru is definitely the best solution of all the ones tried here given the odd shape and differences in build quality. Glad someone else took my recommendation.
Yes, definitely! The results look OEM and work great against wind noise. Thanks for the tip. I have modified my model 3, to a point where it looks and feels a lot more premium than before. (Noise seals, vinyl, tempered glas on touch screen, struts for frunk and trunk, etc.)
FB81A563-A059-4EC4-95C6-43A3ABC78A8A.jpeg
Next on the list is tire noise (I have the 20” performance wheels).

Attachments

• 6A66435A-5EAE-4301-8F80-0DAFFB426019.jpeg
    6A66435A-5EAE-4301-8F80-0DAFFB426019.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Hello all, my model 3 just came back after an accident on the passenger front end. The wind noise is much louder than it was previously, how are you all determining where the noise is coming from. I am having a hard time pin pointing it.

My issue was the rubber trim as seen in post #164. Have someone put painters tape on the outside while youre in the driver seat with the windows up to trouble shoot this part.

• Informative
Reactions: bclstu
No idea what it's purpose is but it does look intentionally designed this way. It is on both driver/passenger front door seals.

My question is if this design may be contributing to the wind noise im hearing from the back of the window close to the B-pillar. If it is in fact a drain then I probably shouldn't block it but if the 2020 seals no longer use this design then maybe it's fine - the problem is that we don't know what other 2020 seal design changes were made. It could also be like the rear deck/trunk cutout that I have on my 6/18 M3 that was later covered with padding and then closed up completely- we still don't know why it was there to start with.
I published some clear pictures of that rear deck/trunk cutout vanishing here:
https://TinkerTry.com/differences-between-2018-and-2020-tesla-model-3#items-changed-from-2018-to-2020-for-all-tesla-model-3-trim-levels
Strangely, despite numerous commenters below the video, I haven't noticed any weather and trunk seal changes in design between 2018 and 2020, at least not in my 119,XXX and 612,XXX VINs.

View attachment 536104
A lot of thanks for the people who came up with these tips. I added black sugru at the lower end of the A pillar and also stuffed some inside. What a difference in wind noise. Very happy with the results.

Glad to hear! I posted about install rubber tubing there and it did help a bit.

View attachment 536104

When you say "stuffed some inside", may I ask where inside exactly?

How well does Surgu get along with methanol in windshield de-icing fluids? I know isporpopyl alcohol is not great for it but that's not something I expect it to be exposed to except for maybe with some homemade windshield fluid formulations or during detailing.

Edit: looks like it should be OK: Sugru in a chemistry lab - Labsolutely

Last edited:
I published some clear pictures of that rear deck/trunk cutout vanishing here:
https://TinkerTry.com/differences-between-2018-and-2020-tesla-model-3#items-changed-from-2018-to-2020-for-all-tesla-model-3-trim-levels
Strangely, despite numerous commenters below the video, I haven't noticed any weather and trunk seal changes in design between 2018 and 2020, at least not in my 119,XXX and 612,XXX VINs.
Yea I’ve done quite a bit of looking into the changes in the rear deck: Rear deck cutout
I would love to know what other changes were made in the 2020 M3 to reduce noise.