Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to service center on 3/17/20. Tech that rode with me verified concern. Their fix was removing seal and adding spacer tape(don’t know what that is) to properly seat the seal and window. I’ve noticed that it’s much improved since they did this. My service center is located in Chesterfield, MO.
I hope that instead of trying to fix the problem your self. Maybe give the service center a chance to resolve it. If they aren’t able to do it then doing DIY is definitely something that someone should try.

Are you referring to the same seal as shown in post 145?

I tried the hard rubber 6mm tube and they also eventually fell out for me. What worked, actually, was to cut a piece of the roof noise dampening tubes that were too thin for my roof gap. They ended up fitting perfectly in the A frame and is much more malleable/easier to install. So far they’ve stayed put.

DEF Tesla Model 3 Windshield & Roof Wind Guard Noise Lowering Dampening Reduction Kit, 100% Silica Gel, Sun-Resistant and Durable, Quiet Seal Strip Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NHL17BC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2hznEbCTQ82HR

View attachment 506649View attachment 506652
i bought this and used it for the A-pillar/fender gap and the left over amount for the roof glass/windshield gap. Windshield piece is missing after a few days - presumably flew off at speed. The fender pieces are still holding up after a few weeks and seem to do a LITTLE BIT in terms of reducing wind turbulence that could possibly be resonating in the A-pillar. The 2020 is quiet but the wind noise around the windshield is still the only major contributor to highway noise. (excluding tire noise)

• Informative
Reactions: comraddan
I’m not able to see how they did it by just looking at it, seems like they would have removed the seal and inserted behind the seals. Just my guess as I can’t see anything by looking at it. Please post pics on how you used the sugaru.
So I tested this today and it seemed to significantly reduce the wind noise at highway speeds. I took it up to 90mph and was not hearing that crispy turbulent wind noise that was present before. There is still loud wind noise overall, but it seems to be coming from the entire windshield and isn’t related to this specific area on the A-pillar.

This is where I applied the Sugru. I basically tried to close some of the gap on the seal (picture on post 145). Tried to thicken and straighten out the seal and close the gap that was there before. It’s not perfect and I kept fiddling with it after application which is why it looks pretty rough, but it definitely helps. I may try to redo it later on to make it smoother, but that would just be for aesthetic reasons. Let me know if anyone else tries this and if it works for you.
DE4E0294-9696-4359-8A62-C7C2EB38DB7F.jpeg

So I tested this today and it seemed to significantly reduce the wind noise at highway speeds. I took it up to 90mph and was not hearing that crispy turbulent wind noise that was present before. There is still loud wind noise overall, but it seems to be coming from the entire windshield and isn’t related to this specific area on the A-pillar.

This is where I applied the Sugru. I basically tried to close some of the gap on the seal (picture on post 145). Tried to thicken and straighten out the seal and close the gap that was there before. It’s not perfect and I kept fiddling with it after application which is why it looks pretty rough, but it definitely helps. I may try to redo it later on to make it smoother, but that would just be for aesthetic reasons. Let me know if anyone else tries this and if it works for you.
View attachment 525416

Hope you don't mind my resuing your image, but I have a similar issue. On mine, the external rubber bits are wonky and bulge out away from the glass:

DE4E0294-9696-4359-8A62-C7C2EB38DB7F.jpg

Wonder if a hair dryer might reshape it.

Hope you don't mind my resuing your image, but I have a similar issue. On mine, the external rubber bits are wonky and bulge out away from the glass:

View attachment 529333

Wonder if a hair dryer might reshape it.
Yea I had that before. Attached pic is how it looks like. Mobile guy used a heat gun for a few seconds then reshaped it. I bet I could have done that with hair dryer

Attachments

• 1880462A-CFF6-46C8-B90F-FD3385EF89B1.jpeg
    1880462A-CFF6-46C8-B90F-FD3385EF89B1.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 530
I have about 8" left of some self adhesive window draft foam tape stuff,pictured. Wonder if that, with a layer of wax to repel any water ingress, would work well to block the air at the base of the A pillar? View attachment 529464

The wind noise kits you see all over the place are basically just weatherstripping, so probably?
Tho those are rubber-tube/strip style, not the foam like yours. But I shoved a bit of (denser) foam weatherstripping into a couple holes... (some posts about it around Post#100ish in this thread)

The foam will not hurt, but also will not be very effective. Not there anyway.

You can stuff some behind the fender, near the fender camera turn signal assemblies.

No matter what is done, the wind noise (at least some) remains.

Just sharing my results. I took my 2020 Model 3 in for service this morning to have them check out my driver side window wind noise. They found that my front door glass was not fully pressed along body seal and required adjustment of the door/window. I was in and out in about an hour, and the wind noise I had been experiencing has completely gone away.
I wonder if this is the same adjustment that @destructure00 has detailed in his video for window adjustment: Wind/road noise from doors/windows -- fix it for good

All of my noise-related issues (many) SC appointments have been cancelled here in Seattle because "they require a service technician ride along" to replicate the issues. I've been to the SC too many times where my intermittent noise issues didn't occur during the test drive but were occurring the whole drive there so I may attempt this window adjustment myself.

Reactions: destructure00
Hi,

I bought a new LR AWD around March 19th and I'm also in the Seattle area. Everything seemed pretty good during the virus quick delivery. But the next morning I noticed a huge amount of wind noise coming from the passenger front window. Having read many threads on here I was prepared for this to be harder than I thought it should be to get it taken seriously by Tesla support team.

1) i scheduled mobile service team. Nice guy came and believed I had an issue when i showed him the window was basically touching the silver trim on the outside. Sure - we tried the reset using the door switches but it didn't really help. He did say that the seals get better over time. That said he was ordering all the parts to get it fixed right on the next visit which he would schedule when they came in. He also showed me how to close the door and at the same time push the upper window so it shut within the right channel. He asked to to park the car in the sun for the seals to get used to this new position.

2) the mobile service team scheduled the second appointment but it was a different nice gentleman. He didn't seem to have any new parts but did seem to know his way around the adjusters inside the door. He went through this routine a few times and said he thought it was much better. He took it for a test drive without me (virus protocol - makes sense) and when he returned he said it was usual wind noise. The window did seem to stay in it's channel so away he went. Alas the next day i drove it and it still seemed too windy noisy. Yes, i was used to a 2013 model s but i was comparing this to the noise from the other windows. I felt like i had to have better proof / example to get a proof point of this problem and to make it something they could verify. I used a credit card from the inside and pushed it up on all 3 of the other windows. in each instance the credit card would be held by the seal at the top. In the problem window it fell like a rock. Okay, maybe if i stack 2 it would hold. maybe 3. you get the idea - it was 5 until the pile would sort of stay in place. This is similar to the dollar test i read about today in the other similar thread in the driving dynamics area.

3) So i took pictures (hey this one holds a credit card, hey this one won't hold any card stack!) and scheduled an appointment in the app - this time at a service center. They decided to replace the seal and do some adjustments with the knobs on the inside of the door. Now it's much much better! The team was super nice that did the work and i appreciated their work. in and out in less than a day.

So after using the credit card to help me with the wind seal i also used it to make the car go faster this afternoon with the speed upgrade ;)

Good luck to all if they have any of these issues. Hopefully you can find the right way to get an improvement!

And thanks to everyone for all the great information on this board. It's been fun since 2013!

Reactions: Danny Brown
Hi,

I bought a new LR AWD around March 19th and I'm also in the Seattle area. Everything seemed pretty good during the virus quick delivery. But the next morning I noticed a huge amount of wind noise coming from the passenger front window. Having read many threads on here I was prepared for this to be harder than I thought it should be to get it taken seriously by Tesla support team.

1) i scheduled mobile service team. Nice guy came and believed I had an issue when i showed him the window was basically touching the silver trim on the outside. Sure - we tried the reset using the door switches but it didn't really help. He did say that the seals get better over time. That said he was ordering all the parts to get it fixed right on the next visit which he would schedule when they came in. He also showed me how to close the door and at the same time push the upper window so it shut within the right channel. He asked to to park the car in the sun for the seals to get used to this new position.

2) the mobile service team scheduled the second appointment but it was a different nice gentleman. He didn't seem to have any new parts but did seem to know his way around the adjusters inside the door. He went through this routine a few times and said he thought it was much better. He took it for a test drive without me (virus protocol - makes sense) and when he returned he said it was usual wind noise. The window did seem to stay in it's channel so away he went. Alas the next day i drove it and it still seemed too windy noisy. Yes, i was used to a 2013 model s but i was comparing this to the noise from the other windows. I felt like i had to have better proof / example to get a proof point of this problem and to make it something they could verify. I used a credit card from the inside and pushed it up on all 3 of the other windows. in each instance the credit card would be held by the seal at the top. In the problem window it fell like a rock. Okay, maybe if i stack 2 it would hold. maybe 3. you get the idea - it was 5 until the pile would sort of stay in place. This is similar to the dollar test i read about today in the other similar thread in the driving dynamics area.

3) So i took pictures (hey this one holds a credit card, hey this one won't hold any card stack!) and scheduled an appointment in the app - this time at a service center. They decided to replace the seal and do some adjustments with the knobs on the inside of the door. Now it's much much better! The team was super nice that did the work and i appreciated their work. in and out in less than a day.

So after using the credit card to help me with the wind seal i also used it to make the car go faster this afternoon with the speed upgrade ;)

Good luck to all if they have any of these issues. Hopefully you can find the right way to get an improvement!

And thanks to everyone for all the great information on this board. It's been fun since 2013!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I almost never resolve these issues in one SC visit but like you, everyone I’ve interacted with has been really nice.

I wonder why you were able to schedule these visits when I was getting a text before cancelling. Did you schedule it at the Bellevue, Lynnwood or Renton?

I think I have the same issue as you on both front windows so I would love for it to be fixed!

Here's some more info PNWLeccy:

-I scheduled via the app. Not sure why it went to the SC vs mobile. I don't think I could choose one or the other. I did select Bellevue when given the choices of SC. No idea why they didn't cancel.
-Before they started and during the fix I was in communication via text messages. After they read my description and looked at the pictures I had included the tech said that my 'credit card stick test' didn't really mean anything. The tech said you can get the right seal without any credit card staying up there. So I'd say this is far from a fool proof method. But the gap was significant - sitting in the driver seat if you reach across the passenger side reaching up and felt that area it was easy to put your fingers between the seal and the window. I'm glad the tech was able to identify that this was really an issue vs my imagination.
-If they wouldn't have done anything I was going to try to get the parts department to sell me the door seal. I wonder if it's available for purchase and how much it would cost? This was driving me crazy and it seemed way off to me. Unless it was way too expensive to get the seal. It would hope it isn't too hard to install. The video on how to adjust the window in the other thread is awesome information but unfortunately it is outside my comfort zone and skill level.
-Lastly, if nothing else worked I was going to try to hire the tesla body shop team in Bellevue (not at the service center) to fix it. My guess is they probably have to fix stuff like this from accidents all the time. I realize this would have cost $'s but again I would have obsessed over it being 'not factory right' for the next 8 years. And based on these boards it seemed realistic that this would be an investment I would have had to make - an investment in my sanity ;). That team had previously fixed my model s and did a fantastic job after it was burglarized.

Hope that helps!

I have about 8" left of some self adhesive window draft foam tape stuff,pictured. Wonder if that, with a layer of wax to repel any water ingress, would work well to block the air at the base of the A pillar?
Not sure but I used small rubber turing the in fender/A-pillar gap and it certainly helped a lot. The only wind noise I have is turbulence around the windshield.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NHL17BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative
Reactions: dutchchili
So I ended up narrowing down my issue. Not sure if anyone else’s rubber seal at the front of the driver’s side window looks the same as mine (not flush against the window), but this is where the majority of the harsh/crispy wind noise is coming from. When I push on the rubber seal (to compress it to the window), the noise is significantly reduced. It’s almost completely silent. Now I’m trying to figure out how to permanently fix this. May consider adding a bit of sugru to the vertical edge of it to create a better seal. Or I may just take it to the SC to see if they can replace it. Has anyone else checked this piece?

View attachment 520439View attachment 520440

Mine is just like this too. The wind noise goes away when I press that part down as well. Wondering if I should get that trim replaced or try the sugru method...

View attachment 525416
But the gap is the top part that is bent. And putting sugru where you did fixed the noise?

The Sugru definitely helped. The other thing I did this weekend was use a heat gun to try and straighten out the top portion of the rubber seal that's bent. I was able to get it straighter, but haven't had a chance to drive it fast enough to test whether it actually did anything.