Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sharing some shots I took this morning. I’m having an unbearable resonance that the SC claims is normal. The technology and performance of these vehicles are unsurpassed. However, the build quality and lack of QC is equivalent to a 1980’s Yugo. Let’s see if some 3M weatherstripping helps the issue.
The most annoying thing is when SCs tell you a problem is normal. I was told that about another issue I had so I asked the SC if my friend's car not having the same issue had something wrong with it - either his car or mine is not normal. Only then did they fix it.

The Syosset SC won’t address this issue with my model S. They insist that it’s normal. I had a model S loaner when my wife’s model X was in for a leaking half shaft. Still leaking after 3-4 repair attempts. The loaner was perfect.

The most annoying thing is when SCs tell you a problem is normal. I was told that about another issue I had so I asked the SC if my friend's car not having the same issue had something wrong with it - either his car or mine is not normal. Only then did they fix it.
Unfortunately, it's human nature to be lazy, and to ignore issues, until they're undeniable.

I’m sharing some shots I took this morning. I’m having an unbearable resonance that the SC claims is normal. The technology and performance of these vehicles are unsurpassed. However, the build quality and lack of QC is equivalent to a 1980’s Yugo. Let’s see if some 3M weatherstripping helps the issue.
what are these FLIR maps showing, is that areas of CD flow that lead to increased temp, so therefore that is where airflow is building up slightly more than the other areas?

I have a related question for you all,

I did the "sponge in the A Pillar" idea and it has dramatically reduced my wind noise about the A pillar. However, now that wind turbulence is directly noted at the top of the Windshield where it meets the "sunroof" glass. I am one of those unfortunate builds where the gap is uneven to the point of non existent between the windshield and "sunroof" so the RPM fix with the rubber tubing won't work (won't fit). I painters taped the windshield channels along the A Pillars back to the rear glass and that has reduced some wind noise to where I am comfortable to leave it at that....

So my question is, what do you all think would be the best material to fill the gaps from windshield to A pillar and back? I was thinking Sugru here but I could just as easily see tape here; if there is a rubber flashing that can sit in here like the Nissan to the right, that'd be awesome. I have uploaded a pic for reference on where I am talking about and can attach another photo from the car next to mine that is parked. I do this because most of the cars I own or have been in contact with seem to insulate this gap with rubber finishing...

Thanks all,

PGgzYmC.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    788.2 KB · Views: 133
I also obstructed the spaces at the base of the front uprights on both sides of the windshield.
I used a drop from the seal kit and in this case, one of the center pilar.

The seal should be put on, keeping outside the U it makes on one of the 2 sides . After removing the red strip to glue the joint, the game consists in gradually stuffing the 2 sides of the U, over the entire length of the slot. I used a thin and rigid plastic masking knife. The joint must be pinched mm by mm.

At the end the joint is crushed with a force, which it really does not risk to move. The result is perfect, we do not even see that it has been added.
20200509_192337.jpg
20200509_192740.jpg
20200509_192834.jpg
20200509_192952.jpg
20200509_194059.jpg

I also obstructed the spaces at the base of the front uprights on both sides of the windshield.

The seal should be put on, keeping outside the U it makes on one of the 2 sides . After removing the red strip to glue the joint, the game consists in gradually stuffing the 2 sides of the U, over the entire length of the slot. I used a thin and rigid plastic masking knife. The joint must be pinched mm by mm.

At the end the joint is crushed with a force, which it really does not risk to move. The result is perfect, we do not even see that it has been added.View attachment 540112 View attachment 540114 View attachment 540115 View attachment 540116 View attachment 540117
Link to the seal used? What seal kit did it come from?

Link to the seal used? What seal kit did it come from?

For example, here after is the link to the global kit I used; you have to check, but I think it is the same on Amazon. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Motrobe-Soundproof-Weather-Reduction-Accessories/dp/B07WSTTP5Z/

I used the rest of B-pillar strip after I put all seal I need on the car.
You know, i do with steal I had. It is just better steal I could find at home. It a little bit hard to put it but it works very well at the end. :)

( Model 3: Rubber Seal Strips Set (4 Doors+Frunk+Trunk) )
20200510_080025.jpg
SmartSelect_20200510-085122_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KenC
I did something similar with leftovers from my seal kit. The driver's side worked out well, but the gap on the passenger side is a little bigger and not as even so what I managed to shove in there is a little less than perfect.
I bought Sugru to replace both of them but haven't gotten around to it.

At the end the joint is crushed with a force, which it really does not risk to move. The result is perfect, we do not even see that it has been added.

But did it impact the wind noise?

The A pillar sponge/seal fixes worked for me, was having wind noise around the driver's side of the windshield that showed up around 80mph, that fixed it.

What really did it for me were the B-pillar and window fixes for annoying road noise coming from the driver's side window. Sometimes the window squeaks against the rubber but subjectively the ambient noise is gone.

Reactions: FredMt
The A pillar sponge/seal fixes worked for me, was having wind noise around the driver's side of the windshield that showed up around 80mph, that fixed it.

What really did it for me were the B-pillar and window fixes for annoying road noise coming from the driver's side window. Sometimes the window squeaks against the rubber but subjectively the ambient noise is gone.

Could you please develop a little how do you do to fix noise of the driver's side window? I still have "wind" noise in top of driver's window.

Reactions: cptpizzo