Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8E93F592-3AE4-4289-8D61-6FF8DE2549F6.jpeg
8E93F592-3AE4-4289-8D61-6FF8DE2549F6.jpeg

050B1553-0202-475E-83D2-36C151940F34.jpeg
Put this in. Worked like a charm!!
Thanks to all the posts here!!

the majority of the wind noise is not at the upper half of the a pillar.

Reactions: dutchchili
On other cars I have owned, the little cracks between the leading edges of the side view mirror housings base and their pedestals can create a whistling effect. Easy to check by putting on some masking tape.

View attachment 510599

From your picture the black plastic point is also causing the wind noise. It needs to be glued in a little bit. It was really bad on mine and ended up just crazy glueing the plastic to the rubber.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Got autocorrected. “now” not “not”
the majority of the wind noise is now at the upper half of the a pillar.

I tried this sponge stuffing and yes the wind noise is now muffled at 80mph. It is much better than before, but not eliminated.
Basically reduces the "frfrfrrfrfrfrfrfrrfr" noise to a muffled level from the A pilars.

So is there actually any noticeable difference? I'm hesitant to try anything since it seems like it's just redirecting the noise to another area and not actually fixing the root cause (which I'm assuming we still haven't properly identified).

So is there actually any noticeable difference? I'm hesitant to try anything since it seems like it's just redirecting the noise to another area and not actually fixing the root cause (which I'm assuming we still haven't properly identified).
The root cause has been identified as wind blowing over the edge of the a-pillar, causing sound, which resonates in the a-pillar.
Therefore the solution is to eliminate the sound generation by closing the a-pillar.
Once you get rid of the noise, you can hear normal wind noise caused by air hitting the wind shield and other parts. But that is a totally different type of sound than the noise from the a-pillar.

If you can't eliminate the a-pillar noise, you must re-apply the fix until it is done correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen

yes very noticeable for me. Only problem is that it rained and the sponge/memory. Foam
Is soaking wet. Maybe I need to find another material that doesn’t soak up water.

Checked my car, and it’s not sticking out at all, especially compared to the car I used in my picture.

I took a look at mine and my passenger side was sticking out just a little; driver side wasn't bad but there was still a little gap at the top of the triangle.
So I took a little white glue and closed off the top corner on both. I swear i am hearing less wind rustle now. #winning

Reactions: dutchchili

Yes noticeable difference, much quieter at high speeds. Mind you it doesnt do anything to the road noise from the tires if thats the problem you face. The air usually creats the "frfrfr" and the Road creates "rmblrmblrmbrl"
This reduces the air noise.

Regarding the neoprene rubber tubing at the A pillar: wind from a road trip pushed mine further back into the gap. Considering it was already very firmly in place, I'm hesitant to use a larger piece.

I've noticed a lot of higher-end Kias using rubber between the gaps. Someone on youtube tried something similar (though not as elegant)
Here's the kit. Gonna try this at some point, once I find a better looking product.

Regarding the neoprene rubber tubing at the A pillar: wind from a road trip pushed mine further back into the gap. Considering it was already very firmly in place, I'm hesitant to use a larger piece.

I've noticed a lot of higher-end Kias using rubber between the gaps. Someone on youtube tried something similar (though not as elegant)
Here's the kit. Gonna try this at some point, once I find a better looking product.

You guys really should try the Sugru I mentioned before. It will give you a lot better result than anything else you're trying, and it will stay in place and look good. It's amazing stuff, and not that expensive for the amount you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldab...ru&qid=1583449462&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr

I took a look at mine and my passenger side was sticking out just a little; driver side wasn't bad but there was still a little gap at the top of the triangle.
So I took a little white glue and closed off the top corner on both. I swear i am hearing less wind rustle now. #winning
Can you take a picture of the section that you glued? Want to compare your glued/fixed piece compared to mine and see if I should do it.

You guys really should try the Sugru I mentioned before. It will give you a lot better result than anything else you're trying, and it will stay in place and look good. It's amazing stuff, and not that expensive for the amount you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldab...ru&qid=1583449462&s=automotive&sr=1-1-catcorr
Did you end up doing this? How does it look? How hard would it be to remove if you decided to take it off? I’m considering this too, just don’t want it to mess up the paint or be impossible to remove from that gap

yes very noticeable for me. Only problem is that it rained and the sponge/memory. Foam
Is soaking wet. Maybe I need to find another material that doesn’t soak up water.

wonder if just squeezing a bunch of silicone calk (bathroom stuff, etc) would work. it will fill the gap, fully; it will flex, it loves to get wet (lol) and if it doesn't work out, just pull it out and try again.

yay/nay ?

Reactions: rlb4