Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn’t paying too much attention to wind noise, I’ve had the rubber band strap around the roof top and even replaced it with one that was just a little thicker, I couldn’t tell the difference. Then I found this thread and ordered the 6mm black rubber tubing from EBay. Installed it today and drove the car to work tonight. I must say it’s much quieter.

Didn’t mess with the cavity, just wedged the 6mm rubber tubing between the A pillar and the fender.

Hard to believe that this small mod would make a difference. Will keep an eye on it and have the wife drive it tomorrow and see if she can tell the difference also.

Fred

So I ended up narrowing down my issue. Not sure if anyone else’s rubber seal at the front of the driver’s side window looks the same as mine (not flush against the window), but this is where the majority of the harsh/crispy wind noise is coming from. When I push on the rubber seal (to compress it to the window), the noise is significantly reduced. It’s almost completely silent. Now I’m trying to figure out how to permanently fix this. May consider adding a bit of sugru to the vertical edge of it to create a better seal. Or I may just take it to the SC to see if they can replace it. Has anyone else checked this piece?

9712206D-1300-4C68-81C0-8E3BC264A2E6.jpeg
65B1D449-56B6-4DF9-978B-63D6C6794269.jpeg

Haven't tried pressing in that piece, but (on my car all) of the pieces sandwiched together in that door seal are spread apart. I'm not sure if the adhesive is coming up, or it was never applied correctly to start.

Regarding Sugru, I asked them if it was safe for car paint. Here's their response:

"Sugru will should work well to fill in gaps as Sugru generally works well for this and it's waterproof, weather & UV resistant. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to guarantee that the Sugru wouldn't damage or mark the paint on your car if you ever wanted to remove it, normally Sugru is easy to remove from smooth surfaces, but can sometimes leave a stain on rough or porous surfaces."

So I ended up narrowing down my issue. Not sure if anyone else’s rubber seal at the front of the driver’s side window looks the same as mine (not flush against the window), but this is where the majority of the harsh/crispy wind noise is coming from. When I push on the rubber seal (to compress it to the window), the noise is significantly reduced. It’s almost completely silent. Now I’m trying to figure out how to permanently fix this. May consider adding a bit of sugru to the vertical edge of it to create a better seal. Or I may just take it to the SC to see if they can replace it. Has anyone else checked this piece?

View attachment 520439View attachment 520440

I too think it may be coming from the tears from the gusset. Mine looks exactly identical.

Has anyone tried re-aligning the window?

This is not same as calibrating, but where you pop the bottom rubber pieces off at bottom of the door and loosening screws to push the window in further.

View attachment 520439View attachment 520440
Checked and I have the same deformation shown in your picture on both sides. Haven’t checked if pushing on them on the highway improves anything yet though.

I too think it may be coming from the tears from the gusset. Mine looks exactly identical.

Has anyone tried re-aligning the window?

This is not same as calibrating, but where you pop the bottom rubber pieces off at bottom of the door and loosening screws to push the window in further.

I have adjusted the door glass and posted some diy info somewhere around here.

Didn’t see a way to do it without popping off the door panel. You’ve done it on the Model 3 through removable rubber pieces, or you’re just speculating?

Let us know if it works for you too. Still trying to figure out how to seal it or keep it pressed since that stops all the sound for me. Good to know the rubber looks the same on other cars though

Sugru can be added to the rubber seal to fill that gap and be molded to look factory. It will stay stuck to the seal as well as long as you make sure it's clean before being applied. I have use Sugru to repair torn and chewed up door seals on classic cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3
Sugru can be added to the rubber seal to fill that gap and be molded to look factory. It will stay stuck to the seal as well as long as you make sure it's clean before being applied. I have use Sugru to repair torn and chewed up door seals on classic cars.
Great to know, thanks! How hard is it to remove once it’s bonded to the rubber seal? Just wondering in case I try it and it doesn’t end up make a difference and i want to remove it

I have used Sugru a lot and would be willing to give this a shot if knew exactly where to apply this to. I'm still not entirely sure where I need to apply it to even when going through all the photos in this thri.

The problem with Sugru is that you have to work fairly quickly before it starts to "set". I would need to plan ahead to make the mold apply properly.

I have adjusted the door glass and posted some diy info somewhere around here.

Didn’t see a way to do it without popping off the door panel. You’ve done it on the Model 3 through removable rubber pieces, or you’re just speculating?

I would love the link to that DIY, but I just saw these rubber caps under the door one towards the front and one towards the back. I’ve read that in model S you could open those and there is a way to adjust the windows that way, but I have not removed them to see if that is the case with the model 3. Simply, was asking if anyone has aligned windows with a positive result to the wind noise.

I went to service center on 3/17/20. Tech that rode with me verified concern. Their fix was removing seal and adding spacer tape(don’t know what that is) to properly seat the seal and window. I’ve noticed that it’s much improved since they did this. My service center is located in Chesterfield, MO.
I hope that instead of trying to fix the problem your self. Maybe give the service center a chance to resolve it. If they aren’t able to do it then doing DIY is definitely something that someone should try.

• Informative
Reactions: comraddan
I went to service center on 3/17/20. Tech that rode with me verified concern. Their fix was removing seal and adding spacer tape(don’t know what that is) to properly seat the seal and window. I’ve noticed that it’s much improved since they did this. My service center is located in Chesterfield, MO.
I hope that instead of trying to fix the problem your self. Maybe give the service center a chance to resolve it. If they aren’t able to do it then doing DIY is definitely something that someone should try.
Good to know, thank you for letting us know! Do you have a picture of what this spacer tape looks like on the window seal now? I had taken my car into the SC, but they said the noise was normal, so I ended up adding some sugru to the rubber window seal a couple days ago and it just finished drying. I'll update whether that fixes it once I can drive at highway speeds.

Reactions: comraddan
Good to know, thank you for letting us know! Do you have a picture of what this spacer tape looks like on the window seal now? I had taken my car into the SC, but they said the noise was normal, so I ended up adding some sugru to the rubber window seal a couple days ago and it just finished drying. I'll update whether that fixes it once I can drive at highway speeds.

I’m not able to see how they did it by just looking at it, seems like they would have removed the seal and inserted behind the seals. Just my guess as I can’t see anything by looking at it. Please post pics on how you used the sugaru.