Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can - it's called Sugru. I had this fold on the outside seal and used Sugru. It filled the gap nicely and the window moves fine.

We think alike! I was looking for something that I could use there, and went with Sugru as well. I bought it but still haven't had the guts to put it in.

I do think it will have to be removed should anything happen to one of the windows, since it will likely be impossible to put a new window in with exactly the same placement, even if it is exactly the same dimensions. Those gaps very from place to place on my vehicle, at least.

We think alike! I was looking for something that I could use there, and went with Sugru as well. I bought it but still haven't had the guts to put it in.

I do think it will have to be removed should anything happen to one of the windows, since it will likely be impossible to put a new window in with exactly the same placement, even if it is exactly the same dimensions. Those gaps very from place to place on my vehicle, at least.

I used it with no problems on the A pillar window seal. I does set quite hard but looking at it, can be removed with a blade and some careful whittling.

It was between Sugru and silicone for me. Good to know Sugru sets up hard...that shifts me away from it.

My plan was to put cellophane tape on the edges of the windows, or maybe even mold release compound, so whichever I used wouldn't stick to the glass. What I ended up doing was cutting strips off of some extra foam door seals I had and putting those in, but they are not as thick as the glass so it doesn't make for a smooth seal. Way less than ideal.

Yes, you can - it's called Sugru. I had this fold on the outside seal and used Sugru. It filled the gap nicely and the window moves fine.

Thanks for mentioning sugru. I considered it for this application (I use it in several other places) and concluded it would not be easily possible to mold it into a shape where it provides enough seal but does not push the rest of the seal out and creates a level surface for the window to move against. However, I'll try it after I get the car back from Tesla today - if they don't end up fixing the issue first, of course.

I’ve added extra seals for the doors, rubber tubing to close the a-pillar and mirror gaps, plugs for the chrome trim, checked window frame seals, but I am still getting a lot of whistling/blowing wind noise at highway speeds. Got to ride in the passenger seat today and found the cause. 30 second video: Imgur

A TL;DR picture:
View attachment 546472

Well, the car is back from Tesla. They didn't do anything to the seals but here's the correction they applied:

Verified noise was present. passenger window was positioned too far back in track. Re-positioned window forward and
window noise has eliminated and verified after test drive.

This is after I showed the video in my quoted post to the tech. No change to the wind noise at all, so time to figure out a good way to seal those gaps. On a side note, my passenger side window does sit a good 1/8" further back than the driver one, clearly visible when looking at the gap between the window and the b-pillar. But it doesn't look like what they did changed that at all.

Well, the car is back from Tesla. They didn't do anything to the seals but here's the correction they applied:

This is after I showed the video in my quoted post to the tech. No change to the wind noise at all, so time to figure out a good way to seal those gaps. On a side note, my passenger side window does sit a good 1/8" further back than the driver one, clearly visible when looking at the gap between the window and the b-pillar. But it doesn't look like what they did changed that at all.

My passenger front door glass sticks out a good 1/8" or so compared to the driver's side. I think that and the air entering the A pillar by the corner of the frunk are the primary sources of noise. Here's how I plan to deal with the window glass:

For the A pillars, I'm going to pop out the plastic trim at the end (between the fender and the frunk at the corner of the windshield and apply a small amount of expanding foam to fill the end of the A pillar. Then I'll replace the trim and call it a day.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Tesla doesn't make more of an effort to deal with this at the factory since wind noise is clearly an issue being discussed by their customers. That's literally the only thing that bothers me enough to mention about the car.

Best,

Reactions: TheD and bcpm3p
Here's how I plan to deal with the window glass:

For the A pillars, I'm going to pop out the plastic trim at the end (between the fender and the frunk at the corner of the windshield and apply a small amount of expanding foam to fill the end of the A pillar. Then I'll replace the trim and call it a day.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Tesla doesn't make more of an effort to deal with this at the factory since wind noise is clearly an issue being discussed by their customers. That's literally the only thing that bothers me enough to mention about the car.

Best,
I think you’ll enjoy a look at this recent video:
“Tesla Model Y - Failure to Foam”

That piece of black trim Tesla uses makes a huge difference in the amount of noise coming from the A-Pillar. If it's not snugly attached to the fender, wind gets around it. Mine is missing a clip to hold in properly resulting in obvious road noise. I jammed a corner of it under the fender and now have less noise. I'll get them to put the missing clip in during a future SC visit.

I had a service visit for a different issue, but I pointed out the missing clip. I wanted to buy a replacement but they said I can't buy the clip by itself. They claim it comes as part of the entire plastic piece that spans the length of the car below the windshield. I would need to buy the entire part to get new clips. I laughed. I don't have a 3D printer so I'm going to attempt to make one out of Sugru.

All,

I found the wind noise is drastically reduced with the blocking's of the anterior/outside A pillar hack, so thank you all for that!

That said, the and noise about the A pillar where it meets the top windshield / roof next to the driver's head is now a concern which has been mentioned here as well. I have tried several experiments without success on the outside, but was wondering, has anyone experimented or tried taking off the headliner there? Maybe one can sound proof that area with dynomat, CCF, MLV, etc?

Alex

All,

I found the wind noise is drastically reduced with the blocking's of the anterior/outside A pillar hack, so thank you all for that!

That said, the and noise about the A pillar where it meets the top windshield / roof next to the driver's head is now a concern which has been mentioned here as well. I have tried several experiments without success on the outside, but was wondering, has anyone experimented or tried taking off the headliner there? Maybe one can sound proof that area with dynomat, CCF, MLV, etc?

Alex
I hear it, too, at speeds above about 60MPH. I have not been able to isolate it, but I haven't tried too hard either. It sounds to me like wind is actually getting into the A-pillar from somewhere. Dynamat is for vibration noise. The only way to block wind noise is to block the wind from getting inside in the first place.

grmdl3

I get it man. I was just thinking that with the CCF/MLV that if I couldn't block the air from entering then maybe I could block that sound from getting into the cabin. When I wired my radar detector and taking my door panel off to fix a rattle, there were some holes in the frame which I thought could be covered, at least a few of them...

Anyway, Id be curious to see how anyone handles that above ear wind noise! - subscribed here...

Thanks for the response grmdl3

Hope all is well,

AP

Reactions: grmdl3
Question about the light cells.. Mine seem quite a bit RAISED up compared to other models I see. I’ve seen some say that this can cause a lot of the front end wind noise. Has anyone adjusted the cells to get the front leading edge more flush with the front body panels? did it help? any links?

My passenger front door glass sticks out a good 1/8" or so compared to the driver's side. I think that and the air entering the A pillar by the corner of the frunk are the primary sources of noise. Here's how I plan to deal with the window glass:

Best,

In my case, it looks like the culprits are the mirror assemblies. Yesterday, I decided to try pushing the mirrors forward while driving at highway speed and the persistent wind noise that has been bugging me for weeks immediately stopped. Going to try taping up sections of various gaps on the mirrors today to find out the specific source and devise a fix.

In my case, it looks like the culprits are the mirror assemblies. Yesterday, I decided to try pushing the mirrors forward while driving at highway speed and the persistent wind noise that has been bugging me for weeks immediately stopped. Going to try taping up sections of various gaps on the mirrors today to find out the specific source and devise a fix.
How do you push the mirrors forward?

20200611_212424.jpg

Whistling noise from mirror

This guy also noted wind noise from his mirror. I applied the same neophrene tubing to the mirror tonight (set autofold off), let see if this works..

View attachment 550509

Whistling noise from mirror

This guy also noted wind noise from his mirror. I applied the same neophrene tubing to the mirror tonight (set autofold off), let see if this works..

I’m starting off with some tape to isolate it to specific problem spots as I hope to retain autofold (it’s nice for getting into my narrow garage). Waiting for an update to finish and then I’m going to go out and hopefully zero in on it.

I've taken those mirrors apart. There is a piece of split foam near the door that envelopes the harness going out, and should be sealing pretty well. I'd be a little surprised if noise was making its way in through the mirror from the far outside.

I'm still guessing it is somewhere under the hood or something. Doesn't have to be wind getting in, after all: it could be a combination of vacuum under the hood from venturi and it's sucking air in from somewhere else.

In any case, isolating that A-pillar from the rest of the car seems like a decent idea to try. If just trying stuff, use masking tape. It's easier to completely cover something and see if it makes a difference, then reverse it if it doesn't.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele