Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60D initially charged to 213, now charging to 220. Module balancing is largely the difference. Use the battery and eventually it will charge to full. BTW I drove 200 miles on a single charge and still had 36 rated miles left with temp at 71 and outdoor ambient temp of 58. Excited for a road trip in April for Easter. Car is way way more efficient in above freezing temps.

60D initially charged to 213, now charging to 220. Module balancing is largely the difference. Use the battery and eventually it will charge to full. BTW I drove 200 miles on a single charge and still had 36 rated miles left with temp at 71 and outdoor ambient temp of 58. Excited for a road trip in April for Easter. Car is way way more efficient in above freezing temps.
I had an 85 loaner when the cracked windshield in my 60D was being replaced. The round trip to my local service center is about 220 miles. With cruise set at 75 mph the 60D will do that trip with about 20 miles left. The 85 did the trip with about 20 miles left also...

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I picked up my S60 in July. By the fall I was averaging ~275 Wh/mi over the course of 7k miles. A full charge was giving me 212 miles. With the winter months, my average has risen to 290 Wh/mi and a full charge is giving me 208 miles. I'm guessing that once the warmer weather arrives the full charge will increase.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
The range estimate in a Tesla has no relationship to weather or how you drive. It is based solely on how much energy the BMS thinks is in your battery divided by the rated wHs/mile that Tesla has programmed in for your model/configuration.
The battery can hold more energy in warmer weather so maybe the BMS is taking that into account. (Warmer cells will have lower effective internal resistance and voltage will sag less under the same load, so more energy delivered)

You realize that the % displayed is a simple math of what it guesses the current capacity is, over what it guesses as the max capacity. Which is the exactly the same values used to display the number of miles with the multiple of additional constant of Wh/Mile for each type of car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Thanks for all your reply and information! I am in San Jose area so the weather here is fairly mild even during the winter time. Hopefully that I'll see a better number when the summer month come. I discussed this issue with Tesla technician, and they suggests that I monitor it for a while until the battery acclimate.

As for the question of how soon I looked at the rated miles after it reached 100% SoC - once was immediate. The other time was at delivery so I couldn't tell for sure, but should be fairly soon.

thanks,
Jimmy

Say goodbye to the Model S 60/60D :cool:

upload_2017-3-18_12-18-26.png

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
Yeah that just screams BS. I see a lot of new 60s and very few 75s on the road. Also on the tracker Model S Order & Delivery 2017 it shows way more 60s. I guess they think we will believe anything. Wonder why.

$. I don't think many 75 owners know how bad of a deal the 75 is as compared to the 60. Tesla's margin on a 60 is like 19% whereas on a 75 its 25%. That 6k is pure profit and considered a loss on a 60 because Tesla delivered the value it just doesn't book the extra profit.

Reactions: hybridbear