Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will agree the 60D is a bargain compared to the 70D or even the 75D if you consider your daily use. But to say it is comparable to the 90D most of the time is ludicrous.

The 60D has 210 rated miles. Base on the way I drive I can assure you it is less. More like 180 miles or 170 miles if you count buffers. On my 90D I regularly charge only to 80 or 85% and leave the supercharging stations on road trips. So it is the same time or less compared to 100% of the 60D. And I can definitely get more range out of the car in the same amount of time supercharging. Again you are still comparing a 90KWh battery with a 75KWh battery. It does not matter how you spin it. The 90KWh battery will charge faster and allow you to recover more rated miles faster than a 75KWh even if you are only charging the 75KWh battery only to 80%.

Now if you ask if it is worth the 20K or more price increase over the 60D then my answer would be depends on how you weigh things. Some people put a high value on their time during road trips or like I recently discovered, I put a high price on time waiting at congested supercharging stations. On my 90D I am able to skip those congested supercharging stations. If I had the 60D I would be forced to stop there and put up with local tesla cars or inconsiderate people.

to say it is comparable to the 90D most of the time is ludicrous.
While, ironically, to say it is comparable to the P90D is not "ludicrous". ;)

I put a high price on time waiting at congested supercharging stations. On my 90D I am able to skip those congested supercharging stations. If I had the 60D I would be forced to stop there ...
How much of a factor this is depends on where you live/drive. In many parts of the country/world the density of SpCs is low enough
that even a 90 won't allow you to skip a charging stop. Those are probably also the areas where SpC crowding is rarely an issue.

Just purchased the 70D to 75D range-upgrade online.

At the time of purchase the car was sitting in a carpark, connected to a charger.

Before the upgrade car was already charged to 90% showing 320 typical km.

Only a couple of minutes after the purchase , the range immediately changed to about 85% showing 330 typical km. The car also started charging. It finished charging at 90% showing 346 typical km.

This means that the software on a 70D limits the battery 10km at the bottom and 16km at the top.

The upgrade resulted in 26km extra typical kilometers at 90%

I'll try a range charge to 100% this weekend.

Last edited:

At the time of purchase the car was sitting in a carpark, connected to a charger.

Only a couple of minutes after the purchase , the range immediately changed to about 85% showing 330 typical km. The car also started charging. It finished charging at 90% showing 346 typical km.

This means that the software on a 70D limits the battery 10km at the bottom and 16km at the top.

Now that's what I call empirical evidence! Of course, such things have no place here in wild speculation land... ;)

Reactions: BartJ

The 60 has a range of 210 and I regularly manage to get 212-213 out of it. The 60D is more like 217-218 rated!

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
The 60 has a range of 210 and I regularly manage to get 212-213 out of it. The 60D is more like 217-218 rated!
my 2016 S60 (rated 210mi) gets about 211-215 miles on road trips.

Normally going 65-75 mph.

I'm very impressed with the efficiency.

(AC always on, pano roof, 19" wheels, typically 2-4 adult passengers, auto pilot on & off)

I read through the thread, but is there a consensus among the experts in here on whether it is ok to charge to 100% on a 60? Also, someone mentioned that either way, 60 shouldn't be regularly charged to 100% on a supercharger...what's the difference if battery is top limited?

My (uneducated) guess is that Tesla won't say because it is top limited and they don't want to scare people away from upgrading to 75

Thanks @gabeincal...good to have a real-world perspective. How about superchargers - do you go to 100% on that as well?

Hehe I only charge on superchargers, very occasionally HPWC.

Gabe, what is your 100% rated miles number? Has that changed over the last few months?

210. Started with 212-211 and now it has been pretty stable at 210. With my relaxed driving I can get 214-215 out of the car in the Bay Area.

@Ingineer - any updates? I'm thinking seriously about a 60 or 60D and I'd like to get the order in before next week and the $2k price bump. I'm hoping for top-limiting, but I trust your analysis most of all (from the MyNissanLEAF days!)...
Pull the trigger! 2k bump, AP2 and free supercharging makes it a great time to buy!
If you want to keep the cost down, textile seats are great, and standard sound is pretty darn good. Stick with base 19" wheels, skip premium interior pkg, skip cold weather pkg, skip air suspension. I'd get the basic AP though, and solid glass roof.

Don't forget to use a referral code too!

Hi All,

I just got my S60 last week, and upon delivery, my fully charged mileage was just 206 rather than the rated 210. I charged it to 100% later, and it was still at 206. Has anyone experienced this issue?

thanks

Hi All,

I just got my S60 last week, and upon delivery, my fully charged mileage was just 206 rather than the rated 210. I charged it to 100% later, and it was still at 206. Has anyone experienced this issue?

thanks
Mine is 206 or 205, I think it's associated with weather condition, I read somewhere in this forum: Summer is around 210, Winter is somewhat 205-206 for 100% on display.

Hi All,

thanks
I've seen as low as 208 and as high as 212. How soon after it reached 100% did you look at the state of charge? The car will lose some charge while just sitting there, even when plugged in.