Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ingeneer, please read my long post on the previous page. I want to know what you think about it.

In a nutshell I think Tesla is applying a higher overall C rate for the 60's supercharging and getting the cell voltage up to 4.2V quickly but that doesn't mean a 100% charge. They just stop charging as soon as they come to CV part of charging. If the intent was to charge to real 100% this wouldn't make sense as CV charging would take longer and nothing overall would change. But they don't care they only want 80%

So I think it is safe to charge to 100% AC daily but not so much at the superchargers.

But, how can they do that given the fact that the supercharger itself is limited to how much current it can put out? Especially considering that odds are (at least in populated areas) that you're going to be sharing the supercharger with someone else.

To me it makes way more sense to keep the charge profiles the same between the 60 and 75, and then simply top limit it. Ingineer did point out the drawback in that there is no 100% charge if it's top limited so how do they do cell balancing?

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Multiple Tesla employees whose names I will not mention for obvious reasons, from both sales and service department have told me the exact same thing. Tesla's official word is "to just charge to what you need" they will not officially say one way or another.

I've been around long enough to know Tesla sales and service people are the last people to have reliable information.

However, they all also said "off the record" charging the 60D to 100% is the same as charging the 75D to 80%, therefore there is no harm in doing such.

Doing harm is one thing. Extending the life of your battery is another. We know that the best thing for lithium ions batteries, when it comes to longevity, is to cycle them around 50% as much as possible and, in fact: Lower charge voltages prolong battery life.

"Lower charge voltages prolong battery life and electric vehicles and satellites take advantage of this. Similar provisions could also be made for consumer devices, but these are seldom offered; planned obsolescence takes care of this."

Additionally, when I am charged to 100% I do not experience any reduced regen--which I rely on heavily--rarely use the break peddle. Finally, my three visits to SC's have all been similar, in that there is not a dramatic drop off in charging rate in the final 10-15% as would otherwise be expected.

But what if they leave some locked out at the top and some at the bottom? Isn't that possible? Then the no regen and not a dramatic drop off in SCing still make sense but you may actually be charging to 85% or 90% daily? Is that good for the battery to do consistently? That's at the top end of my "daily driving" slider for a reason.

For those who are interested in continuing to explore this from an academic perspective just for entertainment sake, I guess I understand. But in my experience and in my humble opinion there is no doubt--thus I charge to 100% ever time I charge.

So if 100% is 80% then you should arrive home with 20%, which has you cycling around 50% if you want to do what's best for your battery. But what if you usually arrive home with 40 or 50%? Is charging to 100% causing more degradation than charging to 80 or 90%? Yes. Is it an amount to be concerned about? I don't know, and maybe not. But what if your 80% is actually 85% or 90%?

People should understand that keeping more electrons in the battery than needed for cycles around 50% does degrade the cathode more than having less electrons in there. It's fine for you to tell everyone all is fine charging to 100% every day but it may not be and I don't see it as academic. I don't charge my 85 battery to 80% unless I need the extra range since I like to cycle it around 50% and I rarely come home with 20% left. If I had a 60, I'd keep the slider in the daily driving range unless I needed more range, or it was causing my cycles to go lower than cycling around 50%. All the research says that's the best for long battery life.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Here was the top end at my local Supercharger just before I hit 100% the other day:

99%20percent%20charge.JPG
36 kw charging rate at 99% is crazily high!! 60 kwh Tesla is a bargain.

But, how can they do that given the fact that the supercharger itself is limited to how much current it can put out? Especially considering that odds are (at least in populated areas) that you're going to be sharing the supercharger with someone else.

To me it makes way more sense to keep the charge profiles the same between the 60 and 75, and then simply top limit it. Ingineer did point out the drawback in that there is no 100% charge if it's top limited so how do they do cell balancing?

Superchargers are not that limited. Every 2 stalls of a Supercharger share a bank capable of delivering up to 135kW. Those are marked "A" and "B" on Superchargers. So when you begin the supercharging of a 14 module battery (75 or 60) you start out with 300V. So in theory you can got 430+ amps from the supercharger. However Tesla, in order to protect cells, starts supercharging on a depleted battery around 1.2C, so ~300 Amps, maximum. (If they started with 450Amps that would mean 6 amps per cell; 1.81C. Would drsatically reduce battery's life)

The increaes I'm talking about isn't drastic, maybe they added ~20-30 amps or sdded nothing at all. However they are more likely to start out with the same amperage but taper it way later. So a later taper on a 60 makes it reach 4.2V charging voltage per cell around 80% (60's 100%) and gets it there quicker compared to a 75 supercharging(early taper). If the intent was to fill all 75kWh of the pack like in 75, that ending part would take longer making no difference in the end. However with the 60 they don't care about the remaining 15kWh, so they just pump up to 80% as quickly as possible.

View attachment 193939
Supercharging a new 60 at the Maumee, OH station near Toledo...
This was the rate when I disconnected, fwiw.

A 60D on 98% is getting 353V, 104 Amps. 353V divided by 84 groups in series is 4.2V, max voltage. However it is pulling a whopping 104 Amps. 104 Amps / 244Ah pack = 0,42C. When you take a look at when the old 85 pack was pulling that C rate from the Supercharger it turns out to be 81% SoC, another proof. (229Ah old pack *0,42C = 96Amps.) Also when the old packs reached max voltage of 4.2V they were pulling 0.34C, 80 Amps after 88%. 60D however reaches max. voltage with above 100Amp pull kind of proving they are applying higher overall c rates to get a quicker 80% (60's 100%)

I'm getting more and more sure about this.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry if I was adding old news. I was just stoked about the charge rate. Supercharged 3 times this weekend, and not once did my family get finished eating, etc. before the car was at 100%. That was really significant to me because the idea of only charging to 80% and then leaving the SC always made me a little conflicted.

Reactions: ggnykk
If anyone is in the SF Bay Area with a new 60, I can easily give you access to the data. (and more) If you are not in the area, but can set up a Linux laptop or Raspberry Pi (or similar), I can work with you remotely, just not as easy. I'd prefer to have someone local. I'll give you access to the internal data for free in exchange for us sharing the battery data with the community. Drop me a PM if interested.

@Ingineer, I'm a Chem.E. not an EE, so I had to refresh much of my recollection of E&M and circuits. But I'm having a hard time understanding how the charging voltage can equate to the storage voltage of the battery modules (which is what you are using to determine the cell voltage, correct?) if there is also a high current. All the SpC videos I've seen have the kW start high with maximum amperage and a coordinating voltage to apply the maximum kWs. The kWs then slowly drop as the amperage drops at a faster rate than the rate at which the voltage increases. If the applied voltage is viewed as electrical "pressure", similar to fluid pressure in a fluid-flow pipe system, then the applied voltage will always have to be greater than the battery voltage to have enough electrical "pressure" to push current (akin to gal./min.) into the battery, no? If I view it as a water pump filling a water tower, the pump can no longer fill the tower once the pressure in the tower equals the maximum pressure that can be exerted by the pump. So to continue to fill the tower, the pump has to be able to increase the applied pressure so that it is greater than that of the tower. Is it not the same for a battery?

I've tried looking on the internet for a couple of days, and I'm having a hard time finding anything clear on this. the closest I've come is this video showing a power source charging a capacitor where there is a multimeter connected to the capacitor showing the capacitor's voltage along with a display on the power source showing the voltage and amperage being applied by the charging power source:

This also matches the way an alternator charges a "normal" car battery:

Alternator & Charging System Checks (Alternator Testing)

The above seems to confirm that the voltage of the energy storage unit being charged (battery or capacitor) will always be less than the voltage being applied. As the storage voltage nears the applied voltage, the current will decrease. So holding the applied voltage at the maximum fill voltage of the battery allows the amperage to eventually drop to a "trickle" as the battery nears it's "full" voltage level. So, regardless of the voltage shown on the Tesla display, which is the voltage being applied by the SpC, it seems that the amperage reading (and thus also the kW reading) is the appropriate indicator for how close the battery is to full.

Please let me know if I'm missing something. I would also appreciate if you, or anyone else, knows of a good websites that explain how a battery charges in terms of applied voltage vs. battery voltage at a given time. I'm having a difficult time understanding how the two can be the same if there is current flowing into the battery. It that were the case, then it stands to reason that you would also have to be able to have a current flow from a lower-voltage source into a higher-voltage storage unit, and I just don't see how this is possible. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: privater
If anyone is in the SF Bay Area with a new 60, I can easily give you access to the data. (and more) If you are not in the area, but can set up a Linux laptop or Raspberry Pi (or similar), I can work with you remotely, just not as easy. I'd prefer to have someone local. I'll give you access to the internal data for free in exchange for us sharing the battery data with the community. Drop me a PM if interested.

@Ingineer - Were you able to get some test 60s to test voltage? and do you still think it's not top-limited?

No, unfortunately I've been travelling quite a bit and haven't been able to lay my hands on a car yet. Hopefully soon!

I've had the car less than a week but have charged to 100% each work day so far. With 110 mile commute burning an ave of 325 Wh/Mile, I feel much better with a/100% charge. I live in the south bay & commute to the city. LMK if you want to connect to test out the voltages.