Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Sig X owners have scheduled delivery dates in December 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely it's P0014X...If its a production version...

Duh, of course. Silly me. That makes perfect sense. He was just one of the first P90Ds to confirm the order once it opened for production reservations...
I'm a P90DL, fully loaded. If a production car gets delivered before my Signature car *again*, I'm going to organize a letter writing campaign to deliver a strongly-worded letter to Elon. Or something like that. Well, ok, I'm just not going to be happy.
With the above this is much more reasonable. Have you received a VIN, yet? Have you bugged your DS about a delivery time frame? Just because he has a VIN doesn't mean he'll get it before you...
I'm pretty sure we'll see production cars delivered before all of the Sigs will be delivered - simply because some Sigs still haven't ordered/confirmed.

Interesting distinction. I don't think my wife or I necessarily need to drive one. We want to see one in person, sit in it, etc. We have a few specific worries about the car, especially about size and utility. So I'm perfectly happy to simply meet with one of the local Sig owners after they take delivery (working this out right now) and if we are happy with what we see, I'll order one.

Reading along here I often think there are three slightly vague groups of buyers here.

a) "I'll buy the car, fully loaded, I will have to make room in my six car garage, maybe I'll sell one of the Bentleys." I.e. people for whom $140k is something they spend without much concern.
b) "I can afford this and pay cash, but that means I need to hold back on other purchases I had considered." I.e. people who are doing well, but $100k is a LOT of money to spend on anything.
c) "This is a stretch, but I believe in Tesla / EVs / it's just such an amazing car, I think I can make the monthly payments work." I.e. people for who this is maybe more than they should pay for a car, but they are doing it anyway.

I fall squarely in the middle category. So while this isn't breaking the bank, this is a significant purchase. My most expensive car before my first Model S was a Toyota Sienna in 2006 for $34k (we still have that one). Then a $75k Model S 60. And then a $115k P85D. So buying a replacement for the Sienna and paying 3-4x the price will mean that maybe some other things we looked at buying will have to wait. And because of this I want to make sure that this really does qualify as a replacement for both the Sienna and the Leaf.

you forgot the.
d) i can afford to pay this all cash, but should i save the cash for an investment and finance it with monthly payments?

With the above this is much more reasonable. Have you received a VIN, yet? Have you bugged your DS about a delivery time frame? Just because he has a VIN doesn't mean he'll get it before you...
I'm pretty sure we'll see production cars delivered before all of the Sigs will be delivered - simply because some Sigs still haven't ordered/confirmed.

I don't bug them because it tends to piss them off. :)

I ordered within an hour of getting the e-mail. I have a VIN. I noted above that my DS has told me a couple of times (just keeping in contact w/ me, with one within the past 2 weeks) that I was one of a few cars expected to be delivered before the end of the year from the service center, but another (not affiliated with the service center) told me that it would be a miracle if that happened based on what she/he saw.

When I say "production cars delivered before sig cars will make me angry", I refer only to those people who were timely and had their orders in and confirmed before they opened production configurability. That seems reasonable.

you forgot the.
d) i can afford to pay this all cash, but should i save the cash for an investment and finance it with monthly payments?
Oh, I think there are dozens more permutations... people who lease, people who take out a home equity loan, whatever... I was trying to classify the "relative wealth" or "relative significance of the purchase". It is pretty obvious that there are quite a few 0.1%ers around here. Which is totally fine - it just may mean that their decision making process is slightly different.

That is actually quite shocking to me. I'll be honest that my first response was NO WAY.
I wouldn't be surprised if P reservation holders from the first batch who ordered and confirmed right away got their car before Sig reservation holders who delayed their order (I know of quite a few Sig reservation holders who still haven't clicked "Order"), but if you got a VIN < 150 with a production reservation... that seems wrong. I'm sure that at least 6-800 Sigs ordered either right away or right after the reveal. I just find it very hard to believe that those people would have higher VINs / later delivery than you...

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get to this number? I was going to say "around 4-500"...
My rationale? We have seen people as high as 650 be told that they'll get their car this year. My guess (based on comments here over the last three months and the ratios shown in the Model X Reservation tracker) is that about 2/3 - 3/4 of the Sig reservation holders ordered and confirmed within a few days of becoming eligible. So unless there are other weirdnesses (like we thought maybe with winter package, but that doesn't appear to be the case) that would delay some orders, that should get us 400-500 deliveries this year.

100 was the infamous Eds max number that would be delivered. Think they will get more as well.

1. I never received notification of my VIN #. Someone on the other forum who has a production res. posted that they got a VIN today. So I checked my.tesla page and lo and behold there was a vin # there. There wasn't one there before today.

2. My VIN does not have either an S or a P. There is, however, an "F".

3. I have never contacted my DS or anyone else about this reservation. I don't even know who my DS is, tbh.

4. Just because I have this VIN which has a low number, does not mean I will get my car before any of the sigs. I do NOT expect my car this year. I was HOPING for early February. But I have no idea since I have never contacted a DS or anyone else at tesla. I am of the belief that the phone calls will get annoying so I just don't.

Sorry to to have thrown a grenade into the room. But I was just excited.

we have to remember that there are three sequences of vin numbers, Fxxxxx, Sxxxxx, Pxxxxx (the last six digits of the vin)

when a a prodution person is reporting a vin of 150, that should be a P00150 vin.

i am not sure if Tesla treats them as three separate sets of sequential numbers, or uses the a single sequence.

Can folks with founders, signture and production post the last 5 of the last six digits? I.e. P0015x ??
Production VINs use six digits now without the P. So, instead of something like S00123, they have an extra leading zero such as 000123. These directly proceed the letters "GF", indicating model year (2016) and factory (Fremont).

2. My VIN does not have either an S or a P. There is, however, an "F".

You likely have a production VIN. Last 6 chars. Snnnnn = signature, Fnnnnn = founders, nnnnnn = production. Tesla Model S originally used Pnnnnn but switched to all-numbers as they approached 100k cars.

4. Just because I have this VIN which has a low number, does not mean I will get my car before any of the sigs. I do NOT expect my car this year. I was HOPING for early February. But I have no idea since I have never contacted a DS or anyone else at tesla. I am of the belief that the phone calls will get annoying so I just don't.

I recognize this, I was just reliving my Model S frustration at having put down the extra money for signature (which turned out to be a tax as well) and ended up getting my car after a bunch of production cars got theirs. I don't want that to happen again.

Last edited:
Just got a call back from my DS after leaving a couple of emails....
Said my X was at the tail end of the line and was still shooting for an end of year (2015) factory delivery.
Said as soon as it was cleared by quality control, they could schedule a pick up time....
I am soooooooo hoping for an end of the year delivery.....
Sig Red, 6 seat, all Black Interior, carbon fiber decor, 20" silver wheels, Towing, Cold Weather, Ludicrous
Reserved 4/2013 VIN S0027X

Last edited:
Production VINs use six digits now without the P. So, instead of something like S00123, they have an extra leading zero such as 000123. These directly proceed the letters "GF", indicating model year (2016) and factory (Fremont).

My VIN definitely has three leading zeros. As such, I believe the F stands for Fremont. No reason for Tesla to give me a Founder's car (yet) since I'm no one important (yet....). ;)

According to the documents that I have seen the production vins do contain the P (just like they production model S's did until they reached 99999 cars in that sequence.

I can can not test the following link as GoGoWireless does not want to load the PDF

ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG11230.pdf

If a prodution vin holder can confirm...

According to the documents that I have seen the production vins do contain the P (just like they production model S's did until they reached 99999 cars in that sequence.

I can can not test the following link as GoGoWireless does not want to load the PDF

That PDF shows the 12th digit being an F, followed by 5 digits. So the PDF isn't accurate (unless they plan on resetting the counter every year), or someone is getting a Founder's model ;)

I clicked on the link and the "F" in my VIN stands for the factory (Fremont); the position normally occupied by S for signature or F for founder is a 0 in my VIN. Therefore, @timf is correct that my VIN is clearly a production VIN.

I am sorry to any of the signature reservation holders that felt any consternation over this. I would also be hurt/annoyed if I "lent" Tesla that kind of money only to be jumped in line by someone with a lot less money paid up front.

Also so that people are aware: I specifically ordered the configuration that would get me the car fastest. I wasn't originally planning on ordering the P90D, but when I saw that a "vanilla" 90D would be a longer wait, I ordered the P. BTW, nothing wrong with Vanilla; it's my daughter's fave ice cream flavor

So happy holidays, and may this nugget of information let you know that your signature cars are just over the horizon (since my production car is getting closer to reality). May they get to you at Ludicrous speed!

I know that there's a nice map/data base showing MX & MS's - but it doesn't get updated very regularly .... not a complaint. But has anyone with more initiative than I considered launching a semi public Google spreadsheet - member ID, X order date, confirmation date, delivery date, location, last 4 #'s of VIN, color, options (charger, seating, towing, pack size) etc? The early Leafers have one & it's pretty interesting. Just a thought .... simpler than burdening one poor soul for map inclusion.

I know that there's a nice map/data base showing MX & MS's - but it doesn't get updated very regularly .... not a complaint. But has anyone with more initiative than I considered launching a semi public Google spreadsheet - member ID, X order date, confirmation date, delivery date, location, last 4 #'s of VIN, color, options (charger, seating, towing, pack size) etc? The early Leafers have one & it's pretty interesting. Just a thought .... simpler than burdening one poor soul for map inclusion.

https://modelxtracker.com/

Glad to see that P holders are getting VIN's and starting the process.

For those Signature owners concerned with delivery priority -- I was in the local SC chatting with the manager. He said they have STRICT orders NOT to deliver any Production orders (even if they arrive) before Signatures are done. So even is the manufacturing and shipping causes Signatures and Productions to arrive at the same time or cross, Productions will not be delivered. This may be the reason that some X's are showing up at the SC and the reservation holder hasn't been contacted. It seems Tesla learned from the issues with the S.

Glad to see that P holders are getting VIN's and starting the process.

For those Signature owners concerned with delivery priority -- I was in the local SC chatting with the manager. He said they have STRICT orders NOT to deliver any Production orders (even if they arrive) before Signatures are done. So even is the manufacturing and shipping causes Signatures and Productions to arrive at the same time or cross, Productions will not be delivered. This may be the reason that some X's are showing up at the SC and the reservation holder hasn't been contacted. It seems Tesla learned from the issues with the S.

I understand and agree that Sig's should be manufactured and delivered before Production cars, HOWEVER, if I found out that Tesla chose to build my production car and it was sitting in storage for weeks or months waiting for the Sig's to be built and delivered, I'd be furious. I have no problem waiting my turn for manufacture but nothing good happens to a car that sits unattended for a significant period of time so I would be one very unhappy customer.:mad:

I understand and agree that Sig's should be manufactured and delivered before Production cars, HOWEVER, if I found out that Tesla chose to build my production car and it was sitting in storage for weeks or months waiting for the Sig's to be built and delivered, I'd be furious. I have no problem waiting my turn for manufacture but nothing good happens to a car that sits unattended for a significant period of time so I would be one very unhappy customer.:mad:

That would be very unlikely. I could see a week or two delay to attempt to deliver most of the Sigs first. Some people got really bent out of shape that a production car was delivered before a Sig even if it was only a few days with the Model S.