Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Not Plus Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how long can you delay, indefinitely?

I'm really uncertain. I dismissed the installation this morning since I had to drive to work. It's pretty clear that I'm driving a SR+ without any software locks, but if updating means the fog lamps, immersive sound, etc. gets taken away from me (because they must know somehow that it's not meant to have these features) then bleh.

Reactions: S'toon and vickh
I'm really uncertain. I dismissed the installation this morning since I had to drive to work. It's pretty clear that I'm driving a SR+ without any software locks, but if updating means the fog lamps, immersive sound, etc. gets taken away from me (because they must know somehow that it's not meant to have these features) then bleh.

Hate to rain on the parade, but if it’s anythinf like the software I received with my SR+, they are able to remotely add/remove mileage and fog light enable/disable. My fog light switch wasn’t available and then they corrected it. Also, for range unlocks the Mode S (S40) was able to be increased without a formal download/update

I am just going by comments some ppl are commenting about paint defects and then the fact that ppl are adding ppf and ceramic stuff because of the paint quality.
That too me, doesn't sound like a quality paint job.

Depends on what adding ppf and ceramic costs, might be better with the SR discount savings to SR+.

Plus it would protect the paint as well vs a good paint job here in AZ would still get chipped with rocks. I believe the adding ppf and ceramic is now "self healing"

Reactions: JRP3 and xtcEV
Hate to rain on the parade, but if it’s anythinf like the software I received with my SR+, they are able to remotely add/remove mileage and fog light enable/disable. My fog light switch wasn’t available and then they corrected it. Also, for range unlocks the Mode S (S40) was able to be increased without a formal download/update

I don't doubt features will be locked one way or the other, although one SR owner on Reddit is claiming they didn't remove any features when going from 7.102 to 8.5.x. I guess they know what they're doing....get us used to the experience now, so we're willing to pay up later.

Last edited:
When they upgrade your software to but include autopilot, they'll make you pay 3k to be able to use the fsd you already paid for. The free autopilot is pretty much in everybody's SR currently and it just something they haven't gotten around to updating. I bought the sr + and my brother bought the sr without autopilot. Our cars are identical right now except for vin lol

Will tesla has software issue ? if you have FSD, you already have autopilot and you save 3K for the upgrade? the worse - if you do not want to pay 3K for autopilot, they have refund you 5K right?

I don't doubt features will be locked one way or the other, although one SR owner on Reddit is claiming they didn't remove any features when going from 7.102 to 8.5.x. I guess they know what they're doing....get us used to the experience now, so we're willing to pay up later.
I got an SR and updated the software to 8.5 the same day I took delivery. Nothing changed to the vehicle. It's still an SR+ (range, heated seats, immersive sound) minus the fog lights.

Reactions: S'toon
Was told by a store manager in San Diego that the SR will have front heated seats. He acknowledged that there was some back and forth, but he said all Model 3s will have heated front seats. I didn't ask about the rear, but I'm pretty sure he said just the front. That was my primary concern as I had one on order.

I got an SR and updated the software to 8.5 the same day I took delivery. Nothing changed to the vehicle. It's still an SR+ (range, heated seats, immersive sound) minus the fog lights.

I'm updating my software right now. It's a 45 minute update, though I'm still not sure if that means I'm getting 7.105 or 8.5. Should be done soon.

And I can totally live without the fog lights. The partial immersive sound on the other hand...definitely worth whatever upcharge they plan in the future.

EDIT: 7.105 confirmed. Thanks for the Peak Power Increase.

Last edited:
I don’t believe a software update is going to be the method that Tesla uses to eventually lock down some of the SR+ features for those who have downgraded to SR. They can remotely disable anything they want without issuing new software. They just haven’t got around to doing it yet.

When you add AP or FSD to your car it takes effect as soon as the order is completed. There is no additional software required for it to be active. The same should be true for the reduced range, the removal of immersive sound, and the disabling of the fog lights.

Hello everyone, I’m glad to be a part of this forum. So I just ordered my Model 3 Standard Range today. What are the chances that the car won’t have leather seats and an all glass roof? I’ve been seeing M3 Standard Range owners on YouTube with leather seats and other Standard Range + features. I was told by the sales associate that the car will come with textile (cloth) seats, but I am unsure if this is true. Is the actual M3 Standard Range production finally beginning or will Tesla continue to deliver M3 SR+ with limited software? Please let me know, I am very worried.