Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potentially not so great news for Bay Area folks. I just stopped at a Tesla store and the SA looked at my projected window and it said December 28. I ordered my car on 11/16. Next delivery window will be in March.
Since I'm leaving the Bay for Christmas on 12/21 and that I absolutely need a car soon, I guess I'll have to go with a regular ICE car instead. I really wanted a Tesla but it seems Tesla doesn't want me.

really, an ICE? But why not try another EV? The Bolt is hideous but at least you have range, it’s peppy, and efficient.

Well my Sunday morning is off to a good start.....I check the website on my phone and noticed it said to "pay off remaining balance prior to delivery". I quickly jumped on my laptop and logged into the full website to check the source code. Bummer no VIN.

But my order management page definitely changed since its asking for full payment. Then I noticed my MVPA was available for viewing and my day got even better.....it lists my VIN and even shows 50 miles on the car! I assume the 50 miles is just default but either way I'm ecstatic to see some movement.

So now i'm wondering if I really need to make full payment before delivery. I'm in NC and have a sales/service office ~5 miles away so I believe I can make full payment at delivery. i.e. not in a state where sales offices are not allowed. Anyone heard of NC being different?

Reactions: George75
Picked up the car yesterday. I can honestly say that it was the most pleasant car buying experience I've ever had!
Condition wise, no issues with the paint at all, except for a few overspraying spots on the inside of the trunk. There were several panel gaps though on the passenger side and SA took pictures of these to get a work order put together. Said I should expect a call soon.
There was another interior trim piece that was slightly misaligned in near a back passenger window. But SA told me that it's too minor (it was off by maybe 1-2mm) to request a work order.
The only thing I'm bummed about is not having carpets. I didn't expect the car to come in so soon so order the all weather mats late. And with the lack of even the most basic carpeting, have to baby this thing for the next few days till the mats are delivered.
Wife thinks it's too nice and is afraid to drive :D which is fine because it means I get to drive a lot more.

Thanks to all on this thread! It made the waiting game a lot easier. Good luck!

SR+ | White/Black | Aero | No FSD | Order - 11/10 | Vin in source - 12/5 | Pickup - 12/7

Well it’s been great on this thread, but today I decided to see if there was a stealth P3D- available...and there was one in Marina Del Rey. I snapped it up like a snapper fish, and I’ll be taking delivery of it at Buena Park next Saturday! Some hiccups with the financing not quite rolling over but I’m sure it’ll get settled.

I’m all giddy again after a month of no word and I’m even happier to get a car with no compromises. Good luck to everyone who’s still waiting!
Do you mind me asking you if it seemed like they had more? How much of a price difference is it from the SR+?

Do you mind me asking you if it seemed like they had more? How much of a price difference is it from the SR+?

I casually asked the Buena Park rep if they happened to have any P3D-, almost as an afterthought (I didn't expect any). He agreed to check, and told me that the last time they had a batch, it was gone within an hour...after the hold, he told me it was my lucky day and they had one (just one) left in the exact colors I wanted at Marina Del Rey. Naturally I jumped on the chance...

The price difference is $11,000. It's SR+ plus AWD/LR plus $2k for the Performance upgrade. It is $6500 less than the full Performance model on the website, which is a terrific deal.

Reactions: ZappCatt
really, an ICE? But why not try another EV? The Bolt is hideous but at least you have range, it’s peppy, and efficient.

Right, I actually don't know anything about the Bolt except that I had a ride once in it in an Uber and the headroom in the back was the worst I've ever seen in a car hahah (I'm a fairly tall guy).
EV for me has always been Tesla and hopefully they can pull a miracle! It would be the best Christmas gift ever!

On an another note, I wonder if I could change my delivery address to somewhere in Utah, Nevada or Arizona and go pick it from there. Those states seem to be getting their deliveries now as we speak.

Right, I actually don't know anything about the Bolt except that I had a ride once in it in an Uber and the headroom in the back was the worst I've ever seen in a car hahah (I'm a fairly tall guy).
EV for me has always been Tesla and hopefully they can pull a miracle! It would be the best Christmas gift ever!

On an another note, I wonder if I could change my delivery address to somewhere in Utah, Nevada or Arizona and go pick it from there. Those states seem to be getting their deliveries now as we speak.
I imagine most, if not all of the Eastern States 2019 cars have already been "allocated" and they are now starting to do the last of them before going all in on CA.

If you are worried about losing the $1,875 Federal rebate....going to another state would guarantee that you lose the $2,000 CA rebate(unless you already have received it on 2 cars this year, or are above the income thresholds).

The Kia Niro/Hyundai Kona were what I was looking at before settling on a M3(coming from a Volt that I leased for 3 years. Will not look at Chevy again until they show that they are serious about EV. The current Bolt is more or less the exact same car as I could have leased 3 years ago :-(

I imagine most, if not all of the Eastern States 2019 cars have already been "allocated" and they are now starting to do the last of them before going all in on CA.

If you are worried about losing the $1,875 Federal rebate....going to another state would guarantee that you lose the $2,000 CA rebate(unless you already have received it on 2 cars this year, or are above the income thresholds).

The Kia Niro/Hyundai Kona were what I was looking at before settling on a M3(coming from a Volt that I leased for 3 years. Will not look at Chevy again until they show that they are serious about EV. The current Bolt is more or less the exact same car as I could have leased 3 years ago :-(

Thanks a lot for sharing! Didn't think about the California rebate. At this point, I'll see if they have cars left on January 2nd when I'm back and go from there. The federal rebate isn't the end of the world at this point. I reallllly want the Tesla!

The thing about other EV cars is that they all seem so far from Tesla right now. It reminds me of the first generations of iPhones vs first generations of Android phones. Things will change in the future but for now, the Bolt, Niro or Kona would all feel like a big downgrade unfortunately.

I'm forever optimistic though even about my current order!

Thanks a lot for sharing! Didn't think about the California rebate. At this point, I'll see if they have cars left on January 2nd when I'm back and go from there. The federal rebate isn't the end of the world at this point. I reallllly want the Tesla!

The thing about other EV cars is that they all seem so far from Tesla right now. It reminds me of the first generations of iPhones vs first generations of Android phones. Things will change in the future but for now, the Bolt, Niro or Kona would all feel like a big downgrade unfortunately.

I'm forever optimistic though even about my current order!

If you placed an order before 12/1 I would not be surprised if it is offered for delivery before 12/20. If you look at the "late orders" from the East who are getting VINS and delivery dates, their delivery dates were 2 weeks out and later. For the East Coast logistics, they are just giving out numbers and VINS so much earlier in the process. Out here in Cali, it seems like it is within a week, or even just a day or 2. Since the cars are local, and it is the largest market, they will probably just flood the state with most of the cars coming off the lines in the next few days/weeks.

If you placed an order before 12/1 I would not be surprised if it is offered for delivery before 12/20. If you look at the "late orders" from the East who are getting VINS and delivery dates, their delivery dates were 2 weeks out and later. For the East Coast logistics, they are just giving out numbers and VINS so much earlier in the process. Out here in Cali, it seems like it is within a week, or even just a day or 2. Since the cars are local, and it is the largest market, they will probably just flood the state with most of the cars coming off the lines in the next few days/weeks.

Yep I'm hoping for that flood. I placed the order on 11/16, but my SA yesterday told me that the "projected window" for my car was 12/28.
Like you said, she did mention to wait until the last minute as here in the Bay, when a VIN is assigned, you can pick up the car as early as 8 hours after. We'll see!