Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what your point is (i.e. "timing is everything"). I ordered 2 months ago. White car, black interior, aero wheels -- seems like a pretty standard order and, yes, plenty of people have gotten their (same) orders before me. Additionally, it isn't like ANY of how Tesla makes and delivers these cars is common knowledge. Is it unreasonable to think that I would have had my car within the delivery estimate I was given? Or was it unreasonable to think I'd be waiting less than 2 months to get a car when I was told, "deliveries are being made within 2 weeks of order right now."?

Timing is everything in the way Tesla produces and ships cars. First month of the quarter are cars intended for overseas (ie. China, Japan, New Zealand, Australia) as it takes longer to ship by boat and reach them by the end of the quarter. Then sometime in 2nd month of quarter, cars start getting shipped to I think Canada and the US, generally the East coast and working westward. Third month mostly western US and California/Oregon/Washington State as it's less transportation time to reach buyers here. That's what is meant by timing is everything. When you order at the end of previous quarter or first month or two of current quarter and live in Calif or western states, unless they have inventory of cars already produced, we get cars produced in the last month basically (I ordered on 6/27/18--didn't get until 9/23/18). People who follow the purchase/delivery threads here and elsewhere have discuss this for sometime so it is kind of common knowledge.

Sometimes people who order early in the quarter may get lucky and there is still stock of inventory cars that they can match to or in lots around the country and deliver in 2, 3, 5 weeks, but not always. The cars are super popular and simply get snatched up fast.

Looking at the spreadsheet sorted on CA, its painfully obvious they are running the cheapest models last, figuring that if they don't deliver by EOY and people cancel it will have the least financial impact on their quarterly sales. It's really disappointing.
yup def starting to see that pattern as well. My SA went from we will for sure have your by EOY to maybe? It's bullshit and has me on the verge of canceling my Y & Cybertruck orders.

Reactions: Schwartzkopf
Looking at the spreadsheet sorted on CA, its painfully obvious they are running the cheapest models last, figuring that if they don't deliver by EOY and people cancel it will have the least financial impact on their quarterly sales. It's really disappointing.

If you check the SR/SR+ thread you'll see people have been getting their cars. So much depends on what configuration (color and trim) get produced and in what volume. Once a color run is filled at that point in time, the paint room is then cleaned and changed for the next set of cars. It's not like they will paint a blue and then a white then switch to red for example all in the same run. So if you ordered at a time when they just finished and filled all the cars in the color and trim you ordered you will be waiting until that selection comes up again in rotation. That's how I've been told it works. Another factor in delivery is what country and area of the country the buyer is in.

Once you are an owner, you can take a tour of the factory. Should help provide some understanding. Right now they have black, white, blue, red and gray paint colors. Then several choices of powertrain and interiors. It all gets processed in batches of similar.

Timing is everything in the way Tesla produces and ships cars. First month of the quarter are cars intended for overseas (ie. China, Japan, New Zealand, Australia) as it takes longer to ship by boat and reach them by the end of the quarter. Then sometime in 2nd month of quarter, cars start getting shipped to I think Canada and the US, generally the East coast and working westward. Third month mostly western US and California/Oregon/Washington State as it's less transportation time to reach buyers here. That's what is meant by timing is everything. When you order at the end of previous quarter or first month or two of current quarter and live in Calif or western states, unless they have inventory of cars already produced, we get cars produced in the last month basically (I ordered on 6/27/18--didn't get until 9/23/18). People who follow the purchase/delivery threads here and elsewhere have discuss this for sometime so it is kind of common knowledge.

Sometimes people who order early in the quarter may get lucky and there is still stock of inventory cars that they can match to or in lots around the country and deliver in 2, 3, 5 weeks, but not always. The cars are super popular and simply get snatched up fast.

It may be common knowledge to people who frequent these forums. I doubt many of us did so before buying. Honesty from the people at the showroom when. I ordered would have helped temper expectations. Additionally, accuracy on the estimated delivery date (which we are more than 2 weeks beyond) would also help things.

If you check the SR/SR+ thread you'll see people have been getting their cars. So much depends on what configuration (color and trim) get produced and in what volume. Once a color run is filled at that point in time, the paint room is then cleaned and changed for the next set of cars. It's not like they will paint a blue and then a white then switch to red for example all in the same run. So if you ordered at a time when they just finished and filled all the cars in the color and trim you ordered you will be waiting until that selection comes up again in rotation. That's how I've been told it works. Another factor in delivery is what country and area of the country the buyer is in.

Once you are an owner, you can take a tour of the factory. Should help provide some understanding.

Once you are an owner, you can take a tour of the factory. Should help provide some understanding. Right now they have black, white, blue, red and gray paint colors. Then several choices of powertrain and interiors. It all gets processed in batches of similar.

I'm well aware - I see the vins appearing, see people getting delivery notices. But I also see plenty of people getting notices ahead of people who ordered a month + before others, from the same delivery center, with the exact same configuration. I get how the manufacturing process works - I work in manufacturing. I just don't find it coincidence that the cheapest set of cars are the last in the yearly rotation. The "inventory" models, which several people have stated are still in production, are showing up online in LR AWD, now MP, and SR+ will be last. And if those "inventory" models haven been produced yet, there is zero chance all the November orders of SR+ will be produces, let alone the early December orders that Tesla pushed as being available this year.

Look, from the pace of the spreadsheet, I'm theoretically "up next" with my configuration (though it looks like 19" SR+ don't get pushed out often, though I don't see that changing the production line all that much), with an 11/8 order and the spreadsheet seems to show 11/4-5 orders as getting VINs recently. So maybe I'll get mine (but I'm mentally preparing not to)But I'm doubtful mid November orders will get filled unless theres jsut some random lottery assigning numbers, which seems to be the case since I see plenty of same-config orders being filled way out of order from the same DCs.

EDIT to add: My real beef is that they are producing a ton of the extra "inventory" models of the higher priced cars when they could have easily switched to the other configs before running a bunch of extras to meet the demand from the people who have eagerly waited their turn in line. Maybe I'll be proven wrong...who knows.

It may be common knowledge to people who frequent these forums. I doubt many of us did so before buying. Honesty from the people at the showroom when. I ordered would have helped temper expectations. Additionally, accuracy on the estimated delivery date (which we are more than 2 weeks beyond) would also help things.

The store people likely don't know what config is being produced when or what the scheduled order is. And there have been those of us who have gone through this before who have tried to post about this but honestly have been met with comments like we were apologists. When you are trying to help people understand, it kind of leaves you not wanting to bother to keep explaining. You hate to see new buyers get all worked up and worried, and from everything I've seen over past quarters since we bought our first MS in 3/2017, Tesla really comes through on deliveries in the last few weeks. I can think of at least two members who didn't appreciate my comments and told me so. But you know what they got their cars before end of quarter and loved them. There will be people who may not get their cars due to weather, accidents with the carriers, train transport, or just an issue with the car where it gets rejected for example. But the vast majority of buyers will get their cars. I don't know of any other dealership that stays open til midnight in the last weeks of the quarter and is delivering hundreds of cars a day then.

Last edited:
I'm well aware - I see the vins appearing, see people getting delivery notices. But I also see plenty of people getting notices ahead of people who ordered a month + before others, from the same delivery center, with the exact same configuration. I get how the manufacturing process works - I work in manufacturing. I just don't find it coincidence that the cheapest set of cars are the last in the yearly rotation. The "inventory" models, which several people have stated are still in production, are showing up online in LR AWD, now MP, and SR+ will be last. And if those "inventory" models haven been produced yet, there is zero chance all the November orders of SR+ will be produces, let alone the early December orders that Tesla pushed as being available this year.

Look, from the pace of the spreadsheet, I'm theoretically "up next" with my configuration (though it looks like 19" SR+ don't get pushed out often, though I don't see that changing the production line all that much), with an 11/8 order and the spreadsheet seems to show 11/4-5 orders as getting VINs recently. So maybe I'll get mine (but I'm mentally preparing not to)But I'm doubtful mid November orders will get filled unless theres jsut some random lottery assigning numbers, which seems to be the case since I see plenty of same-config orders being filled way out of order from the same DCs.

damn dont say that buddy . I am very early dec :(

• Love
Reactions: Schwartzkopf
Tesla also has to balance carrier loading. Not worth sending out a truck if it's not fully loaded and the mix of vehicles can depend on who has their paper work etc ready to go at that point. I would never want to work in logistics there. I think the VIN switching at times is done to try to fill cars going in one direction or to one or two nearby delivery centers. No it's not a perfect system from a buyers standpoint. They are by the way according to Elon and Tesla news stories working on some internal software to replace what they were using, also they are working to set up a system where one person will be a contact from sales thru delivery. So they are in this mad quarterly rush trying to make improvements.

hey bud, I also have an October SR order, 10/29. I got a delivery scheduling text, but no VIN, MVPA or any of that yet. They said my car would come out of a batch finished on the 26th, so they're def making SRs in that group so maybe yours is in that batch. No clue why some folks get delivery texts and no VIN, some get VIN and no delivery text. Seems like people with VINs sometimes have them drop out of the account, so keep an eye on it but it also seems like a lot of people on here who got VINs got deliveries setup once they contacted their delivery center (or someone helpful at DC). If I were in your position I'd be contacting in different ways... your SA, def try the delivery center again, try the chat feature on the website. You might get helpful info but may have to go through a few people before you get it. The VIN seems more reliable than a delivery schedule though, so hope you've got a car that just needs to find you.

Hope you get yours on time...I'm pretty much in the same boat as you but already got my VIN yesterday.