Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in CC also, but I didnt get mine ordered until May. Mine was showing dates of June 17-30, but now it isn't showing anything for estimated delivery.
Nice! I’m actually in Portland. Most people know Corpus so I put that. I know the website has been finicky lately and sometimes it shows dates and sometimes it shows nothing. Hopefully it’ll update soon for you!

Ok, so reported delays due to firmware update are likely related. And now they are having issues and disabling features so deliveries can happen.

All this does not sound too good. We are guinea pigs again.
I think they were hoping to get all the current features ready before delivery, but because of the backlog now decided they will soft limit autosteer and temporarily disable smart summon and lane departure features to get deliveries started. It is what it is, I suppose.

They are de-activating lane departure avoidance, a paid for safety feature, because the new system is not reliable yet.

One thing that is intriguing me. It seems they will rely on machine learning with Tesla Vision, does that mean that for Tesla Vision to work the car needs to be online (to access the data sets) ?

The release says that feature "may" be deactivated for "a short period of time".

I prefer to wait and see rather than speculate.

They are de-activating lane departure avoidance, a paid for safety feature, because the new system is not reliable yet.

One thing that is intriguing me. It seems they will rely on machine learning with Tesla Vision, does that mean that for Tesla Vision to work the car needs to be online (to access the data sets) ?
They are deactivating it on new deliveries, not for existing owners. It seems like they tried to get the software ready in time but it took too long and they have to start moving them.

As for your second point, while it's not my area of expertise, I don't think so. That's what the main computer (e.g. HW 3.0) is for. A live data link would probably be too slow for making decisions in the car real-time, but it can upload info back to the cloud to improve the system as a whole.

Last edited:
They are deactivating it on new deliveries, not for existing owners. It seems like they tried to get the software ready in time but it took too long and they have to start moving them.

As for your second point, while it's not my area of expertise, I don't think so. That's what the main computer (e.g. HW 3.0) is for. A live data link would probably be too slow for making decisions in the car real-time, but it can upload info back to the cloud to improve the system as a while.

Yeah there is no way possible on current mobile networks that this kind of realtime computation would work, it has to be done locally for now.

As for your second point, while it's not my area of expertise, I don't think so. That's what the main computer (e.g. HW 3.0) is for. A live data link would probably be too slow for making decisions in the car real-time, but it can upload info back to the cloud to improve the system as a while.
You are correct... A.I. Data Sets are not accessed real-time via the network; the A.I. is trained in separate dedicated infrastructure, using huge amounts of data (like real-life footage in this case, but not necessarily YOUR footage) and that is all converted into specific data sets downloaded into the car and which helps that the computer interpret and make decisions real-time... and yes, that data set is obviously improved as time goes by (at Tesla) and owners will get the approved updates.

You are correct... A.I. Data Sets are not accessed real-time via the network; the A.I. is trained in separate dedicated infrastructure, using huge amounts of data (like real-life footage in this case, but not necessarily YOUR footage) and that is all converted into specific data sets downloaded into the car and which helps that the computer interpret and make decisions real-time... and yes, that data set is obviously improved as time goes by (at Tesla) and owners will get the approved updates.
Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for. Data sets are local and updated whenever available I guess.

Called the Lynnwood service center in hope of a VIN (ordered 4/5, delivery estimate of May 27-June 16)... no such luck, but he did say that it looked like I’d get it by the end of May, and if I can’t pick up within the delivery time slots given (I’m flying over from Alaska) I can just accept a random one and call the service center to let them know I’ll be a couple days late. Not banking on everyone at Lynnwood to be so helpful, but it’s a little comforting!