Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you fare with a SR+ model during bad road conditions like rain, snow and ice during the Jersey winters? I know that normal rear wheel drive vehicles cannot move well in snow but I saw quite a few videos of people driving in the snow with rear wheel drive Tesla's and not having an issue. I would assume this is because of the weight being evenly distributed on top of all four wheels because of the battery packs placement.
I’m going to be ordering a set of 18” wheels with winter tires from either Tirerack, Discount Tire Direct or Mavis Tire.

Reactions: asquared17
Is that 2/3 number real? I knew there was some degradation for LFPs in the cold, but not to that extreme. If that's true, I guess I won't be trying for the LFP.
at my job were testing a LFP battery for a gas control unit and we use a solar panel to charge it up

Its a 50 amp hour battery and should have our unit running for over a week if there is no solar charging, it died in a couple hours on a cold winter day

when we calculated it that 50 amp hours the battery was 'suppose' to have was really around 14.4 amp hours. The battery also has a real hard time charging in temptaure under 32 F

I get that Tesla probably does a lot to mitigate the problems I have stated above but its an inherent problem of LiPOFe batteries

Picked up my car yesterday and everything went smoothly. Very slight misalignment on the frunk panel but ill probably just let it be. For the people that used a referral, does your supercharger miles show up immediately? The app does not show mine currently.

Meet Natasha Romonoff
View attachment 705440
Mine didn’t show up until the next day in the loot box

also you can try rotating the black nubs in the frunk to try to align the height if that’s the issue.

Reactions: RogerMc
at my job were testing a LFP battery for a gas control unit and we use a solar panel to charge it up

Its a 50 amp hour battery and should have our unit running for over a week if there is no solar charging, it died in a couple hours on a cold winter day

when we calculated it that 50 amp hours the battery was 'suppose' to have was really around 14.4 amp hours. The battery also has a real hard time charging in temptaure under 32 F

I get that Tesla probably does a lot to mitigate the problems I have stated above but its an inherent problem of LiPOFe batteries
Yeah, I think the problem is that we don't know how much of a difference these batteries have during winter conditions compared to NA batteries. Is it dramatically worse or like 5-10% worse. Both batteries obviously have problems with cold weather.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the range lost in the winter are due to cold battery inefficiency as well as heating the car. I'm assuming you don't have to stop multiple times during the trip which causes the battery having to heat up again as well heating the cabin. In other words, short trips are what kills the efficiency. Driving long distance in one trip is the most efficient way to drive a Tesla since you don't have to heat the car and battery repeatedly. Also, you can charge to 100% on LFP instead of 80 - 90% for most NCA battery owners.

Another thing to consider if you go with NCA, there will be more battery degradation compared to LFP batteries. So your 100% at 262 miles with LFP in 5 years will almost certainly better than 263 miles with NCA. You may be ok with NCA today, but if you have the same commute in 5 years, you may be in trouble.

What you can do is to leave the car plugged in overnight, and heat the car before you go on the trip to preserve even more range. You may also want to turn off sentry mode while at work since it uses approximately 1 mile per hour.

Of course, I'm assuming you don't live by the arctic circle and you don't drive 80 mph+ on freeway. I live in NJ and temp here in winter can drop pretty low. I was average 50% rated range on 25 mile round trip during dead beat of winter.

My expectation is you'll use roughly 90-100 miles of range to go 60 miles one way.
this was very helpful. thank you for sharing!!

My car has been waiting for the software update in Coral Gables since Friday. Every time I call they say they are doing updates in the order they arrived and they will text when mine is ready. Anyone got their car in Miami yet?
My car was trucked to Coral Gables and then sat there and trucked WPB on Friday. I’ll be picking it up tomorrow morning in WPB.

Yeah, I think the problem is that we don't know how much of a difference these batteries have during winter conditions compared to NA batteries. Is it dramatically worse or like 5-10% worse. Both batteries obviously have problems with cold weather.
My favorite quote of the article is
"Tesla is relying on its customers to test the car instead of doing the tests itself and delivering a product with fewer flaws"

MIC Tesla Model 3 With LFP Batteries Reveals In Tests What's Happening

i placed on 8/26 and still no EDD. SA and DC said to expect it next weekend. Sorry you don’t have it either but glad I’m not the only one, i thought something weird was just happening to just me
@RavaageFX Any update with your EDD? Mine is still not listed and when i called the Tesla 800 # and asked my SA they both told be just to wait for the system to update within the next 24 hrs. Well, that has since come and gone and still no update. 😒

Got my M3 with LFP yesterday. The whole process was very quick. There was few minutes of delay because I chose to pay with a cashier’s check. The build is perfect. I drove 120 miles back home and didn’t notice any rattling.

I was a little surprised by how fast the battery was drained with full AC on. The car was charged to 90%. We spent maybe about 30 minutes in hot Phoenix afternoon to set up. By the time we started our drive home, the battery was already 80%. Arrived home with 18% battery. M3’s AC does a good job cooling the car though. A lot cars AC would struggle in this weather especially when sitting in idle.
I'd hoped it'd do better idling with A/C running. I sometimes have to idle alot and was excited to park the truck and take the tesla those days. Maybe it'll make a big difference after tint? I'm planning on F1 Stratos on all but sunroof and windshield.

Reactions: pcmike
Got my M3 with LFP yesterday. The whole process was very quick. There was few minutes of delay because I chose to pay with a cashier’s check. The build is perfect. I drove 120 miles back home and didn’t notice any rattling.

I was a little surprised by how fast the battery was drained with full AC on. The car was charged to 90%. We spent maybe about 30 minutes in hot Phoenix afternoon to set up. By the time we started our drive home, the battery was already 80%. Arrived home with 18% battery. M3’s AC does a good job cooling the car though. A lot cars AC would struggle in this weather especially when sitting in idle.
I’m in Phoenix as well. How’s it doing today in the heat? I’m very curious how the LFP does in the heat when it comes to range and charging.

Agreement signed and everything and all ready for tomorrow but I have a heads-up - there is a $1975 fee for getting the loan through Tesla that they never warned us about. Would probably have been cheaper to go through our bank. So, we're a bit miffed about it, we signed anyway obviously because we didn't want to have to wait longer, but yeah, look at your options first...

Reactions: RichardMa0830
Agreement signed and everything and all ready for tomorrow but I have a heads-up - there is a $1975 fee for getting the loan through Tesla that they never warned us about. Would probably have been cheaper to go through our bank. So, we're a bit miffed about it, we signed anyway obviously because we didn't want to have to wait longer, but yeah, look at your options first...

woah what? i never paid any fee... do you have your documents telling you what that fee is for?

WHAT!!

oh man i am so sorry to hear this!!

I think you got robbed. No fees mentioned anywhere unless this fee started today. I would cancel the deal if they pulled that on me.

Reactions: RichardMa0830