Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My view is it's clear now what the limits are for each model in 2023. IRS used classifications based on weight, passengers, other tax laws, etc that have precedence, they weren't pulled out of nowhere. Id suspect the rules don't change.

Personally the idea of a higher dollar limit for heavier SUV is stupid anyways, and there should be just one MSRP limit. But that was Congress decision to structure it this way and not make it clearly defined.

Who knows, maybe the IRS rules do change. If so then many buyers will change what they buy at that time IMO. Or if congress decides to just make this more simple and amend the law. But once we are in a current year where people have or have not done actions it's much less likely those changes get made retroactively IMO.
Indeed, the Public Comment Period is required by law when an Agency (e.g., IRS) is delegated the authority to implement a legislative act. The intent of the comment period is to allow the public and market participants to participate in shaping the implementation of the rules which can make them less disruptive and more effective.

In the instant matter, the IRS has issued guidance ahead of the comment period which is problematic and possibly a violation of agency law. If the system works as it is intended, there is likely changes coming in the finalized rules around the EV Tax Credit. But Government notoriously is slow to act.

For automakers like Cadillac, Ford, VW or Tesla I do not think they are in a position to lower prices or make costly manufacturing changes to meet the highly misguided guidance. The prudent course of action is to wait for the finalized rule release sometime towards summer or even fall.

Buyers should direct their frustrations to their elected officials and the administration who have mismanaged the implementation of this Act. And by the way, the Audi Q5 PHEV doesn't meet the rumored requirements being used by the IRS and it is classified as an SUV.

Last edited:
Indeed, the Public Comment Period is required by law when an Agency (e.g., IRS) is delegated the authority to implement a legislative act. The intent of the comment period is to allow the public and market participants to participate in shaping the implementation of the rules which can make them less disruptive and more effective.

In the instant matter, the IRS has issued guidance ahead of the comment period which is problematic and possibly a violation of agency law. If the system works as it is intended, there is likely changes coming in the finalized rules around the EV Tax Credit. But Government notoriously is slow to act.

For automakers like Cadillac, Ford, VW or Tesla I do not think they are in a position to lower prices or make costly manufacturing changes to meet the highly misguided guidance. The prudent course of action is to wait for the finalized rule release sometime towards summer or even fall.

Buyers should direct their frustrations to their elected officials and the administration who have mismanaged the implementation of this Act. And by the way, the Audi Q5 PHEV doesn't meet the rumored requirements being used by the IRS and it is classified as an SUV.

Its not just the tax credit that is a possible factor in Tesla cutting prices. They cut prices $7500 for all models at the end of December regardless of tax credit eligibility; plus $10k supercharging miles. Tesla cut prices substantially in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Australia last week that obviously don't have US tax credit limits; many are around $15k cheaper than in the US.

The prices from mid 2021 to mid 2022 increased dramatically; from about $10k for a base M3 to over $30k increase in MX. Those increases were due to many factors that have disappeared and reversed course in the most recent months. So regardless of tax credit Tesla likely needs to cut prices across the board. While doing such cuts if they can also dip below a current MSRP limit so customers get a tax credit that would seem to make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wahiawahi
Hi there, so im bit confused. I ordered my M3 RWD white out and black in on 18" on August 22 in lease with est delivery Apr-Jun 23 in Poland. In Sept. they informed me that I will have my car on Feb 23 and my est. date was gone from account. On October they informed me that there will be a large delivery and probably they will deliver in Nov my car. So I just waited just for VIN because my bank told me to not pay until I will have my VIN. At the end of Nov i asked at Tesla if they will deliver my order so they told me that they waiting for bank to confirm payment so I did pay and few days later got mail from Tesla with question if I'm ready to collect car or want to wait for next year and I replayed I'm ready. So Dec has ended and still no car and they informed me that I will have to wait until Feb and they dont know why I got mail from Tesla with question if I'm ready and still no date in my account in app. Now this is funny today i was driving by Tesla dealer and there was over 10 cars waiting fresh from delivery so I stopped and went to ask if any of this cars is for me and they told me no and I will have to wait until at least Feb. And now the best one couple hours after my visit my estimated delivery show up in app and its Apr - Jun 2023 and if I order new car on site it is saying that delivery will be Jan - Mar 23 so i have no VIN longer date of delivery and I don't know what to think about all of this just dafaq :oops:

Its not just the tax credit that is a possible factor in Tesla cutting prices. They cut prices $7500 for all models at the end of December regardless of tax credit eligibility; plus $10k supercharging miles. Tesla cut prices substantially in China, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Australia last week that obviously don't have US tax credit limits; many are around $15k cheaper than in the US.

The prices from mid 2021 to mid 2022 increased dramatically; from about $10k for a base M3 to over $30k increase in MX. Those increases were due to many factors that have disappeared and reversed course in the most recent months. So regardless of tax credit Tesla likely needs to cut prices across the board. While doing such cuts if they can also dip below a current MSRP limit so customers get a tax credit that would seem to make a lot of sense.
I remember when a slice of pizza was 50 cent and today it is close to 5 dollars. I have never seen prices come "back" to where they "should be." I know someone who has been waiting since 2006 for real estate prices to come back down to where they "should be." This mind-set can be paralyzing.

Last edited:
I remember when a slice of pizza was 50 cent and today it is close to 5 dollars. I have never seen prices come "back" to where they "should be." I know someone who has been waiting since 2006 for real estate prices to come back down to where they "should be."
Prices should stabilize at a place where demand and supply meet. Prices were too low when wait times were going beyond a year. Prices are to high now that inventory is increasing faster than ever in Tesla history. Will that balancing point be closer to mid 2021 prices, current prices, or in the middle?

Tough to know. But looking at Tesla inventory in my area and a few other states, all the changes to auto demand in recent months, it seems extremely likely we will see price cuts soon.

Reactions: Wahiawahi
In the off-chance this is useful to someone. I ordered a new car from inventory on 1/1 with a VIN already assigned, and it gave me an estimated delivery date of 1/15 - 1/23.

I had filled out all the steps in the app except for insurance. It says it needs insurance proof that includes the VIN of the car. However, I can't update my policy without knowing an exact switchover date, so I left that undone.

This morning I asked the number that sends the status updates and they told me it's fine to just upload your current policy.

After doing that a couple hours later I received a call from the local service center to schedule a delivery appointment. They also verified the car is scheduled to arrive on the 15th and I could arrange an appointment for the next day.

So it does appear they know when you have all your pre-delivery tasks completed.

Woohoo! Got my VIN today—my order date was 1/2/23. My new delivery window is 1/28-2/4. My Tesla: MSM RWD, white interior, aero wheels.
That is fantastic, that usually means that your car has a dashboard and windshield. It should be fully built out in approximately 10 hours. You should be getting the message about your car leaving Fremont soon. It should be about 2 weeks from there for your delivery date.

Reactions: PrisC
Placed an order 12/11/22 (black model 3 RWD) and few days later the EDD was 12/26-12/31. The VIN number was there already and little later preliminary registration number. But no delivery.

EDD changed in the beginning of the year to 01/02-01/10. Then every day after that to 01/03-01/15 and right now it is 01/20-02/03.

Doesn’t feel fair since I had to do my part in this tight schedule (down payment, insurance and other additional costs in case the delivery would have happened in Dec). Would have been happy to just wait longer instead.

Is it possible that delivery date just keeps moving forward or is it actually pretty close?
Today I got a text message that the delivery would actually happen between 01/26-02/16! Earlier the EDD changed to 01/20-02/03 and the app informs now EDD 01/15-01/25.

Little bit confusing, but I guess it’s really happening soon!

That is fantastic, that usually means that your car has a dashboard and windshield. It should be fully built out in approximately 10 hours. You should be getting the message about your car leaving Fremont soon. It should be about 2 weeks from there for your delivery date.
Tesla just cut prices on M3RWD by $3,000. I guess I can no longer be mad they didn’t deliver my car by EOY…
Tesla just cut prices on M3RWD by $3,000. I guess I can no longer be mad they didn’t deliver my car by EOY…
How does that work for M3s already ordered? Will we get the current price? Is anyone else considering an M3 LR now that prices are lower?