Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking around at used M3SRs just before the price drops, and ended up ordering a MYLR right after, which was previously out of my budget. I actually plan on test driving both tomorrow again to make sure, but I am leaning toward the extra value (range, space, ride height, faster charging) of the MY.

But at a $10K difference after taxes for me between the two, it is still worth me checking again.
I have M3SR and MXLR and have driven the MYLR and I like MYLR a lot.. M3SR just doesn't have the umpf...but if you have not gotten used to the Dual Motor versions then M3SR should be fine and you get to save a lot of dough

Reactions: PewPew
I was looking around at used M3SRs just before the price drops, and ended up ordering a MYLR right after, which was previously out of my budget. I actually plan on test driving both tomorrow again to make sure, but I am leaning toward the extra value (range, space, ride height, faster charging) of the MY.

But at a $10K difference after taxes for me between the two, it is still worth me checking again.

The MYLR is the current best value Tesla IMO. I think resale value will be significantly higher with it too, and it provides more capability assuming you don't also own a larger vehicle. M3RWD got a $3k price cut but MY was a $13k cut. MYLR is only a couple thousand more than M3LR. M3RWD charges slower both on AC and DC, plus obviously less range, and less power, and no AWD. I actually had a M3RWD order pending from December, but switched to M3P after the price cuts. If we didn't already have a MY I'd be getting that instead right now.

Now if you need the absolute cheapest Tesla yes then get the M3RWD, and/or if you are a fan of LFP and plan to have the vehicle for well over 300k miles, that might make sense. But if you have a bit more budget and can use extra range, tad faster charging, AWD, higher resale; then MY is a more valuable purchase IMO.

I was also on the market for a used M3 couple months ago. But the used market was pretty crazy at the time. So when Tesla had the $7500 discount/10k miles FSC, I decided to take the plunge for a SR3.

Price drop didn't really affect me much, the price on the SR3 only went down $3k... I'm just a little annoyed because I could have probably got a used LR3 with dual motor for what I paid for my SR3.

Reactions: PewPew
I was also on the market for a used M3 couple months ago. But the used market was pretty crazy at the time. So when Tesla had the $7500 discount/10k miles FSC, I decided to take the plunge for a SR3.

Price drop didn't really affect me much, the price on the SR3 only went down $3k... I'm just a little annoyed because I could have probably got a used LR3 with dual motor for what I paid for my SR3.
I have the SR, I think it is a better overall car with the LFP battery pack that we can charge up to 100%. We are getting about the same day-to-day range as a LR charged to 80%. IMO, the SR is lighter and more nibble.

I have the SR, I think it is a better overall car with the LFP battery pack that we can charge up to 100%. We are getting about the same day-to-day range as a LR charged to 80%. IMO, the SR is lighter and more nibble.
I absolutely agree that the driving dynamics are actually the best of all the cars in the lineup, due to less weight up front & being the lightest. Yes, the P is a ton of fun but you put the same upgraded suspension, wheels/tires, & brakes on a RWD & it'll outhandle the P. I prefer cornering dynamics to straight line speed (plus a new car for under $40k was in my budget), so I couldn't be happier about my RWD purchase. Hoping we can get the HD radar upgrade, though...

The LFP battery is great, as well, and I would still read up on charging parameters for LFP. By recommending charging to 100%, Tesla is banking on better durability - which is true - but also balancing that with the BMS being able to better gauge range, which is more difficult with the flat discharge curve of LFP. From everything I've read (and we've done quite a bit with LFP batteries, having built a diy battery bank for our RV last year), LFP still doesn't like to hit 100% that often, and it most definitely doesn't like to sit charging at 100% (I'm sure the Tesla BMS would stop any charge). I'm planning on charging to 80-90%-ish unless I need the 100% for a road trip, etc and I am not planning on leaving it on a charger @ home or otherwise.

I absolutely agree that the driving dynamics are actually the best of all the cars in the lineup, due to less weight up front & being the lightest. Yes, the P is a ton of fun but you put the same upgraded suspension, wheels/tires, & brakes on a RWD & it'll outhandle the P. I prefer cornering dynamics to straight line speed (plus a new car for under $40k was in my budget), so I couldn't be happier about my RWD purchase. Hoping we can get the HD radar upgrade, though...

The LFP battery is great, as well, and I would still read up on charging parameters for LFP. By recommending charging to 100%, Tesla is banking on better durability - which is true - but also balancing that with the BMS being able to better gauge range, which is more difficult with the flat discharge curve of LFP. From everything I've read (and we've done quite a bit with LFP batteries, having built a diy battery bank for our RV last year), LFP still doesn't like to hit 100% that often, and it most definitely doesn't like to sit charging at 100% (I'm sure the Tesla BMS would stop any charge). I'm planning on charging to 80-90%-ish unless I need the 100% for a road trip, etc and I am not planning on leaving it on a charger @ home or otherwise.
The research and opinions are all over the place around best charging practices for the LFP Pack and the Model 3 RWD. I've decided to follow Tesla's recommendation until I have my first signs of degradation which is inevitable. At nearly 1,000 miles, I am still getting 272 miles stated range.

Someone should setup a forum for Model 3 RWD degradation tracking among newer owners. It would be informative.

I'm really loving the combo of having both an M3RWD and an MY. I've been taking the M3 out for dinner and errands when I don't need the hatch of the MY or just when I want to have some fun. The ride and handling of the M3RWD is great and it's a lot of fun to feel the RWD move the rear out when cornering. The off the line power isn't as strong as our MY, but it's shocking how the power builds so quickly after the initial roll out. Definitely did not expect this from the base M3.

I'm on the fence whether we should maintain the practice of charging to 100% or change it to 90%. We don't need the full range every day, but I'm also kind of curious what battery degradation we'll see over time with 100% daily charging. I'll probably dig around the forum to see if anyone has shared any insight on this.

The research and opinions are all over the place around best charging practices for the LFP Pack and the Model 3 RWD. I've decided to follow Tesla's recommendation until I have my first signs of degradation which is inevitable. At nearly 1,000 miles, I am still getting 272 miles stated range.

Someone should setup a forum for Model 3 RWD degradation tracking among newer owners. It would be informative.
It's only 1 mile but when I charged my RWD to 100% last weekend (at around 500 miles), it showed 273 miles!
I know I didn't gain capacity and it's likely due to me (or my wife) driving it efficiently but nice to see it above 272. Also, I have the aero wheel covers off as well.

It's only 1 mile but when I charged my RWD to 100% last weekend (at around 500 miles), it showed 273 miles!
I know I didn't gain capacity and it's likely due to me (or my wife) driving it efficiently but nice to see it above 272. Also, I have the aero wheel covers off as well.
Our M3RWD has the 19" sport wheels and I was pleasantly surprised to see 273 miles range at 100% charge. I expected 267 based on what the Tesla configurator shows for the 19s.

I was getting 273 miles also for a while 🤷, but during those early days I was getting a lot of phantom drain with everything properly off. Now that it is giving me 272 miles I am see nearly zero phantom drain. It must have something to do with the BMS baseline the pack over the first few hundred miles.

Range is not really a factor to me. But would love the dual motor, fog lights, and better sound system that comes with the LR3. I checked Vroom today and they dropped their prices. I saw a few 2022 LR3 with under 2k miles for around $44-46k. Those prices will likely drop some more in the next couple months. Like I said, just a little annoyed.

But overall I'm happy with my SR3... Already planning to do a couple of mods on it. Now I'm just waiting to see, if CA CVRP drop their eligibility next month to see if I can qualify on additional rebates.

Range is not really a factor to me. But would love the dual motor, fog lights, and better sound system that comes with the LR3. I checked Vroom today and they dropped their prices. I saw a few 2022 LR3 with under 2k miles for around $44-46k. Those prices will likely drop some more in the next couple months. Like I said, just a little annoyed.

But overall I'm happy with my SR3... Already planning to do a couple of mods on it. Now I'm just waiting to see, if CA CVRP drop their eligibility next month to see if I can qualify on additional rebates.
Did you hear anything specific on the CVRP dropping their eligibility or is it personal speculation?

My delivery is scheduled for 1/23. Is it possible to reschedule delivery for tomorrow instead? Does anyone have experience with being allowed to pick up a day or so early?
I was able to pick up a day earlier than scheduled, but only because they had already received the car and was able to do pre-delivery prep on it in time. I exchanged text messages with the delivery center to arrange an earlier pickup. It wouldn't hurt to ask, but they won't be able to commit to a date until the car arrives.

Ordered our first Tesla on January 15th!
Model 3 SR+
Midnight Silver Metallic w/ Black Interior
EDD January 29- February 12!
No VIN assigned yet.

Has anyone who's taken delivery in the past week or so noticed if they are getting cars with radar in the front bumper?What about 2 front facing cameras instead of 3? I know it was mentioned that it should be 'marketed' again mid-January but haven't heard anything...

Greetings!
I finally pulled the trigger on a Base Model 3 last Friday evening. Today I received an email with my VIN and a projected delivery date between Feb 1 and 7th. I'm planning on using the local Superchargers (16 of them about 1 mile from house) and trickle charging at 115v while at home. Eventually I will have an electrician wire up a more robust charging solution at my home, but probably not until Spring. Couple of question if you don't mind. If this isn't the place please direct me to the appropriate spot ;-)

Delivery: The closest Tesla Delivery is two states away. I assume I still pay the $1,250 fee even if I show up there and take delivery? Are those delivery dates reliable? Reason is that I have to sell my RAV4 hybrid first, and don't want to sell if the delivery dates are just guesses.

Registration: The car will have to be registered/insured before I drive it off the lot, when I get back home I have to register it again in my home state. What happens to the sales tax I paid in the first state?

Charging: As mentioned, I would be using the Supercharger network since is just around the corner, does my idea of trickle charging at home make (temporary) sense? My commute is straight up I-95 in Maine about 60 miles round trip.

I'm excited beyond belief and can hardly wait for it to arrive. Never thought I could afford one but with state rebate and fed tax credit (and the insane cash offer from Carvana) it is finally going to happen. Can hardly wait!

Greetings!
I finally pulled the trigger on a Base Model 3 last Friday evening. Today I received an email with my VIN and a projected delivery date between Feb 1 and 7th. I'm planning on using the local Superchargers (16 of them about 1 mile from house) and trickle charging at 115v while at home. Eventually I will have an electrician wire up a more robust charging solution at my home, but probably not until Spring. Couple of question if you don't mind. If this isn't the place please direct me to the appropriate spot ;-)

Delivery: The closest Tesla Delivery is two states away. I assume I still pay the $1,250 fee even if I show up there and take delivery? Are those delivery dates reliable? Reason is that I have to sell my RAV4 hybrid first, and don't want to sell if the delivery dates are just guesses.

Registration: The car will have to be registered/insured before I drive it off the lot, when I get back home I have to register it again in my home state. What happens to the sales tax I paid in the first state?

Charging: As mentioned, I would be using the Supercharger network since is just around the corner, does my idea of trickle charging at home make (temporary) sense? My commute is straight up I-95 in Maine about 60 miles round trip.

I'm excited beyond belief and can hardly wait for it to arrive. Never thought I could afford one but with state rebate and fed tax credit (and the insane cash offer from Carvana) it is finally going to happen. Can hardly wait!
Congrats! That’s a quick turnaround between your order and your VIN assignment, I also ordered last friday morning but have yet to have received my VIN.

Greetings!

Congrats!

Yes, you'll pay the $1250 fee no matter what. Even if you pick up at the Tesla factory, you still pay the fee.
The delivery dates are not very reliable, if you're able to wait until you actually pick up the car or at least have a specific pickup appointment time, it would be best to wait until then to sell the car if you have no other means of transportation.

Can't comment on the registration/tax, hope someone else can help.

Charging on 120v, you'd get about 4 miles per hour, so you'd need to be charging around 15 hours/day to make up the 60 miles but if you are able to spend more time charging at home on weekends or if you make a stop at the supercharger here and there, it should be doable. Although in cold weather your battery use will be higher, so that what is a 60 mile commute distance wise could use up 80 or 100 miles of displayed range, which would mean you'd fall faster behind from just home charging. You'll supercharge faster when your battery is low so if you make even quick 10-15 minute stops at the supercharger when your battery is below 20%, you should get a decent chunk of range back so you don't have to charge at home as much.

Last edited: