Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this site so bear with me. Just ordered a black on black M3 RWD, I've seen some posts on here saying it takes 5-6 weeks, and some posts saying they received their car 3 days after ordering. im located in NJ if that helps. Any guesses on when ill get approved, when ill get a vin & schedule delivery, and when ill actually get the car?? Any insight is helpful as I am new to all of this.

Do most people get fairly accurate delivery dates?

Order date was 2/16. Within two days it gave me an EDD within the next week or so. With each day that passed, that 1 week window would just shift back an additional day (i.e. on 2/20 it was 2/21-2/28, on 2/21 it was 2/22-3/1, etc).

It eventually stopped shifting in lockstep so I thought it was getting close, until yesterday when it jumped 2-3 weeks out.

I don’t mind the wait, but the constantly moving target is frustrating.

I ordered model 3 standard range after all going back and forth between Y and 3.
Delays on model y changed my mind to get a 3
And take advantage of tax credit to bring the cost down. Do you guys think it will be cut in half in March or end of March?
We live in an apartment so no home charging. Looking into super charging it once a week. Charging stations are 10 mins away.
Any insight will be highly appreciated.

I have an order out for a Model 3 and Model Y (I can't decide which).

Both are now giving a date range from today to 10 days from now.

But the range doesn't make sense. For the 3, it had said March 1-8. Now, two days later it says Match 3-10. Clearly march 9, 10 are not in the original range. Why give a date range if they don't intend to follow it? Sounds like it really means sometime over the next 8 days.

The M3 has a VIN, was supposed to be an inventory car yet it's still up to 8 days out? What gives? What does it mean to buy an inventory car?

The MY is not an inventory car and it's giving similar date range even though there isn't even a VIN assigned yet. How can they possible assign a VIN, build it and have it ready for me to pick up today. Which is within the date range.

Curious if there's not information on the site somewhere about how Tesla schedules deliveries.

Hi everyone! I’m getting a little nervous. Waiting for my M3 in Belgium, expected delivery 14-26 March. But Tesla is starting to offer serious discounts for M3 cars (like 4-5% off) from the inventory, which is probably just unassigned cars in the same ship than my car from Shanghai factory. Is there a new M3 coming sooner than everyone thinks? Or is Tesla just trying to shift as many cars before end of quarter?
Also if I tell my TA I want to cancel and take one from the inventory, wouldn’t they offer the same discount to avoid order cancellation complexity?

(moderator note)

TL ; DR

After thinking about this for quite some time, I have decided to no longer enforce "only model specific waiting rooms" in the model 3 subforum. This means, in effect, that I will no longer merge all waiting room type posts into one of these three waiting rooms (SR+/RWD -- LR---Performance).

People will be free to make other waiting rooms if they so desire.
====================================================

(A bit more context - fairly long)

The reason I previously enforced "only 3 model specific waiting rooms, instead of various regional waiting room" is because there isnt that much that can be sleuthed out about Teslas delivery process by splitting it up by region.

Additionally, it becomes a slippery slope.

Someone makes "California waiting room",
Someone else makes " California - Southern California" waiting room,
Then someone else makes "California - SoCal - Los Angeles Red Model 3" waiting room
Then "California - Los Angeles - Red / White - 19s, Ordered after Jan 2023" waiting room,
Then you finally end up with someone creating - "California - Los Angeles - By Randys Doughnuts -Blue / White - 19s, Spoiler ordered between Jan 15 and Feb 30 Waiting room"

For evidence of this, one only needs to look at the model Y subforum, and see the first couple pages of the Model Y ordering subforum for proof:

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 7.30.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 7.30.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 7.31.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 7.31.26 PM.png

These various waiting rooms take over the first couple of pages of that subforum, and basically become separate threads for a few people each in the specific circumstance to chat back and forth about stuff, and (im)patiently wait, together.

Even with the above, however, this makes the model 3 subforum different than the model Y subforum, for no reason other than I didnt want it to look like the above. I have decided that in this case, letting people (im)patiently wait in all those separate threads isnt necessarily a bad thing, if thats something people want to do. So, If people want to make various waiting rooms for regions, and areas, go for it, I will no longer force merge them back into these threads.

Ordered basic RWD ~5pm Friday 3/3, prompty got vin and date from 3/18-3/27. 11:30pm Friday found a demo model, 4k miles, in the same trim for nice discount. Ordered that one and pickup is set for Monday 3/6. If it checks out will cancel the first order, otherwise switch back. Very happy with discount and tax credit, this is becoming a semi-cheap car. This is also the 3rd M3 I have ordered stretching back to 2018. Wifey wants this one.

Reactions: BigCutie
Ordered basic RWD ~5pm Friday 3/3, prompty got vin and date from 3/18-3/27. 11:30pm Friday found a demo model, 4k miles, in the same trim for nice discount. Ordered that one and pickup is set for Monday 3/6. If it checks out will cancel the first order, otherwise switch back. Very happy with discount and tax credit, this is becoming a semi-cheap car. This is also the 3rd M3 I have ordered stretching back to 2018. Wifey wants this one.
How much was the discount?...this being a demo, would it qualify as a used or new vehicle under the tax credit?...

How much was the discount?...this being a demo, would it qualify as a used or new vehicle under the tax credit?...

We got lucky. The car is immaculate - as good as new. Really, not even a trace of gravel rash on the front bumper. I can't believe it. It was used as a service loaner, not a test demo car. $3100 adjustment. Thie car was never titled and it does qualify for the credit. Cancelled the first order so one more will be available in Raleigh. Good luck everyone.

Last edited: