Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret getting Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I LOL'ed, and I do the same thing. Everytime I step outside to do something (get the mail if I forgot, take out the trash, get something from storage, etc.), the car handles present themselves. I just ignore it now.
My auto present handles were turned off years ago. I don't mind tapping the handle to open it when it needs to be opened. When the garage door is used as the main entry/exit to the house, walking next to the car is a daily occurrence. A double tap of the key fob center also presents the handles. With Model X, I am not going to want the door to automatically open unless physically requested.

I picked up my new Model S 4 days ago and I'm already starting to regret the purchase. To start, the car came with a horrendously loud constant popping/creaking noise from somewhere around the top of the windshield. But the big issue occured today. I parked the car and got out to walk around it to the passenger side. While I was walking around, the car locked itself with my keys, cell phone, and everything else still in it. Thankfully I was able to find a phone to call home. My wife used my iPad to remotely unlocked the car. But I'm left very angry that something this idiotic can happen on a $100K car. Wish there was a return guarantee...

Prediction: Once you experience Tesla's service/repair/replacement procedures, learn to program your car to your liking, and enjoy the wonderfulness of driving this car you will want to go back and erase your post. :smile:

My question is why anyone ever takes the key out of their pocket? I know it's not a super uncommon issue (as I've seen a number of people write about getting locked out). I have yet to purchase a MS, but I imagine when I do, the key will never leave my pocket. You don't need to use it for anything do you?

You don't need it for anything else so leaving it in your pocket or turing off auto lock would prevent this from happening unless some other issue at play.

To OP: Sorry to hear about the creaking, that definitely should be fixed. It sounds like getting locked out might have simply been a mistake since you left the keys and your phone inside the car. As mentioned above, if the keys and phone are next to each other it can sometimes lead to the car having a hard time recognizing the key fog. I wouldn't let locking yourself out (if that's what happened and not some problem with the car) make you regret such a great car. If anything, your experience was better than almost any other car with this feature. You were able to get someone to remotely unlock your car without a locksmith. And people usually have their key fob or their phone on them at all times so this issue is very rare. You can always turn the auto lock feature off too if you wanted more control and a more manual process. Good luck.

Last edited:
I picked up my new Model S 4 days ago and I'm already starting to regret the purchase. To start, the car came with a horrendously loud constant popping/creaking noise from somewhere around the top of the windshield. But the big issue occured today. I parked the car and got out to walk around it to the passenger side. While I was walking around, the car locked itself with my keys, cell phone, and everything else still in it. Thankfully I was able to find a phone to call home. My wife used my iPad to remotely unlocked the car. But I'm left very angry that something this idiotic can happen on a $100K car. Wish there was a return guarantee...

If you are leasing via US Bank - just make use of your Happiness Guarantee http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/significantly-improved-leasing-tesla-us-bank

This will also make the CPO buyer of your car happy.

Is the car designed to always recognize the key fob left in the car and unlock or does it depend on where in the car the key fob is located? I've had it not be recognized at times in my pocket sitting in the car but just moving the key around solved it.

This really seems like one of those situations with a new product where you say "oh, now I know" and move on. I would be hard pressed to lose thousands of dollars returning such a car after 4 days over this issue. The creaking windshield is annoying but hopefully Tesla fixes that right away.

Is this what you're looking for? :wink:
View attachment 99416

I still don't get it. When when you are entering the garage that you go pick up your key and put it in your pocket? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. I go into my garage often during the day, but I only pick up my key and put it in my pocket when I'm going to the car, so I'm confused why the key would be in your pocket outside of you just being on the way to/from the car and grabbing the mail or trash while doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

I LOL'ed, and I do the same thing. Everytime I step outside to do something (get the mail if I forgot, take out the trash, get something from storage, etc.), the car handles present themselves. I just ignore it now.

Maybe the part that is confusing me is that I take out my key and hang it up when I get home, so each time I go out to the garage, they key isn't on me. Is that unusual and other just keep their key on then 24/7?

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking only for myself, it's because all my keys live on one ring, which I put in my pocket in the morning and remove at night, and otherwise they stay with me. They're small so it's not any trouble, and it ensures I never forget them.

Aha! Mine are also on one ring, but sit at the key hanger by the door until they are needed, which ends up being when about to get into the car.

This happened to me and I can repro easily.

The issue is conflicting rfid/whatever wave interaction between the phone and the keyfob.

If the keyfob is close to the phone, then the car can not detect the keyfob, hence it does not see it inside the car => locks

You can also verify this if you have keyfob + phone in the same pocket, the car won't recognise the keyfob.

I have a Samsung S5, if it matters (probably).

How would reading the owners manual have changed the outcome?

Well for one thing, if he were in the car reading, he wouldn't get locked out.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't get it. When when you are entering the garage that you go pick up your key and put it in your pocket? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. I go into my garage often during the day, but I only pick up my key and put it in my pocket when I'm going to the car, so I'm confused why the key would be in your pocket outside of you just being on the way to/from the car and grabbing the mail or trash while doing so.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the part that is confusing me is that I take out my key and hang it up when I get home, so each time I go out to the garage, they key isn't on me. Is that unusual and other just keep their key on then 24/7?

- - - Updated - - -

Aha! Mine are also on one ring, but sit at the key hanger by the door until they are needed, which ends up being when about to get into the car.

The key lives in my pocket, I don't hang it anywhere (it's seperate from my house keys)

1. Disable the auto lock feature. I also disabled the auto present door handle feature as I found it to be annoying as they'd present when I'd go into my garage to take out the garbage, etc.
Same situation for me. I am a very forgetful person, so I want the auto lock feature. I would like to request that MS recognize an at home garage parking decal (GPS not accurate enough to distinguish driveway versus inside secured garage) and not activate auto lock.