Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealth Gray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it looks like a camera. The reason being that it's positioned too far back. All my vehicles with front cameras are positioned in front or sticking out in front of the emblem or below the emblem since it's a better angle and doesn't have an obstructed view. This one looks more like a button to open the frunk.

Reactions: Neon001
I don't think it looks like a camera. The reason being that it's positioned too far back. All my vehicles with front cameras are positioned in front or sticking out in front of the emblem or below the emblem since it's a better angle and doesn't have an obstructed view. This one looks more like a button to open the frunk.
I also tried to modify the color on my order and it's allowing to change all other colors except for the new stealth grey color.

This didn’t look that far back to me. The perspective is confusing - it could either be behind the T or to the right of the T. If it’s to the right it seems fairly close.

This didn’t look that far back to me. The perspective is confusing - it could either be behind the T or to the right of the T. If it’s to the right it seems fairly close.
1698417033342.png

Look at it again. It's definitely tucked under the hood and behind the bumper. In fact, you see the bumper sticks out farther than the 'camera.' Front camera's are not supposed to be tucked in like that. Also, you wouldn't need the gaping hole surrounding it either. It looks like it's for ergonomic purposes, like a button to open the frunk for your fingers to stick in.

For example, a bumper camera would be more like this:
1698417281362.png

It sticks out of the bumper with an unobstructed view.

I agree with others. FWIW I placed laser jammer sensors in that area where the new camera is and the performance is horrible. In the winter all the road grime cakes in there and there’s a lot of reflection and glare from the chrome lip depending on the sun angle too.

The Model 3 Highland position makes sense for a bumper cam. This location doesn’t. Especially since it’s recessed relative to the Tesla logo which will severely affect how far it can see to the passenger side. I feel there’s no way Tesla could decide this is the right position.

Reactions: Neon001
Changing my mind. No longer think it's a camera.

Why can't they give us a damn front bumper camera, especially after removing USS? So annoying.
Maybe it’s sour grapes here but IMO a front bumper cam is helpful but not a silver bullet.

Even the rear side, the wonderful HW4 rear camera is not enough to give accurate readings on oddly shaped objects like rectangular pillars. And the corners of the rear i can’t even judge with the fisheye distortion, I often look at the repeater cams or my mirrors instead.

There’s no equivalent thing for the front corners and historically speaking all of my parking near misses are related to the front corners of the bumper.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Maybe it’s sour grapes here but IMO a front bumper cam is helpful but not a silver bullet.

Even the rear side, the wonderful HW4 rear camera is not enough to give accurate readings on oddly shaped objects like rectangular pillars. And the corners of the rear i can’t even judge with the fisheye distortion, I often look at the repeater cams or my mirrors instead.

There’s no equivalent thing for the front corners and historically speaking all of my parking near misses are related to the front corners of the bumper.
Fair point. I actually don’t care for accurate readings, the usefulness of the camera to me would be the ability to view the camera on the screen while edging up against the wall/car/whatever in front of me. I don’t need the car to analyze and tell me anything . The corners are the most accident prone areas though, you’re right. A wide angle on each side of the bumper maybe?
But either way, it’s not a huge deal breaker for me, once you get used to the car it’s easy to know when you would hit something or not, just like any car I’ve ever owned with no cameras or anything.

Reactions: snorlax

If only there were these sensors on the corner of bumpers 🤔

Removing USS prior to vision parity or even feasibility is such a bad outcome for customers.