Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still Waiting for Elon's Blog Post on Autopilot Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of more EM zingers:

(At one point, he even brought up incidents of people dying by being strangled by bed sheets and crushed by vending machines, but noted that no one is trying to ban vending machines, so there’s that.)

Personally, I hate vending machines. If I see one coming, I head for cover. They're all a bunch of bandits!

My bet is he realized he was about to sabotage his own goal of selling every last car on the lot (inventory cars, for people in denial) by the end of the quarter. Someone pointed that out, or placed a shoe in his mouth following the ill-considered tweet. They removed all reference to new hardware...at least until October :D

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
Isn't the audible alert the 2nd stage of the alerts? The first is visual only (which will be enhanced with greater visibility), then the next escalation is the audible, as I understand it. So it shouldn't be problem I don't think, unless you always miss the 1st alert for it's entire duration.

Yes, the first alert is visual. I've always been a "speedometer watcher" so to speak so I'm used to glancing down periodically even without all the extra info you get from the Tesla panel. If you're not looking down there I'm not sure their changes are going to make it grab your attention - it would have to be pretty bright and the border would need to be sufficiently wide to cause your eyes to pick up that peripheral motion. Certainly the "little box" strategy right now isn't going to grab your attention, so it will at least be an improvement. Of course this would all be a moot point if Tesla had a heads up display - it's probably the one thing I really wanted that the S is lacking.

Probably not on this generation of hardware. The camera isn't reliable enough to depend on. If Tesla enables the feature, they'll want to make damn sure it has close to 100 percent reliability.

It depends on what they do with it. If it's merely advisory, not a problem (like lane departure warning). Elon has said several times some form of stop sign/stop light recognition is coming.

My bet is he realized he was about to sabotage his own goal of selling every last car on the lot (inventory cars, for people in denial) by the end of the quarter. Someone pointed that out, or placed a shoe in his mouth following the ill-considered tweet. They removed all reference to new hardware...at least until October :D

Nope.

I'd say very few are gone because of the website design change. WK057 is one, but I can't thing of any others. Rather, I'd say most are gone because of the vast influx of new members with the Model S/X (since it was first mostly Roadster owners). The first Model S owners were new adopters, as were Roadster owners. Now there's the second waive of Model S owners, Model X owners, plus Model 3 reservation holders, and this place has become very different than what it was. A lot left because of that. It's not nearly as intimate and as welcoming as it once was. In fact, it not either of those things anymore which is why I think a lot have left and that has nothing to do with the website changes.

Dirk was the one I was thinking about who was the most vocal about the flat UI, and about the website change. There weren't that many holdouts. I can only think of a few holdouts not counting the Pre-AP people.

I did mean that paragraph as a disguised joke though. I didn't think I'd need to back it up. :p

Reactions: Canuck
Undertaking is also considered dangerous driving in the two European countries that drive on the left. Will be interesting to see if it works in the ROI and UK as well, but for overtaking on the left.

I saw almost in an accident today due to a right lane over taker.

I was in the left, needing to get off in a mile, passing a motor home. I was going approximately 5 over, the motor home 5 under. The far right lane is an exit lane for my exit (red rocks and bandimere Speedway, so it's there in case of backups).

As I clear the motor home, I signal and move into the center lane. Looking in my mirror, I see nothing in the right lane, signal and begin to move to the right lane. My collision detection came on (15 Cherokee) and I pulled back over in time to have a car go by going easily 20 over.

Scared the hell out of my son! Glad to have the electronics though to help me see when I can't!

During this phase before 7.1 was released there were a lot of rumblings from people including Green1 regarding the limitations that were rumored to be introduced. I also recall a lot of rumblings from people who hated flat UI's.

I'm not seeing the same kind of rumblings. I look at the new limitations of 8.0, and I can't see how they would be detrimental to my usage of AP. I haven't heard of any good arguments like the kind of argument Green1 presented before V7.1 was even released.

I guess it depends on how the new nag criteria are implemented. My first read of it was folks are going to actually have to drive with their hands on the wheel most of the time to avoid triggering the audio nag three times in 1 hour. But I have read a few different inerpretations since, so we will have to see once it's released. If it turns out to essentially require hands on wheel, then I could see a few people being upset.

Either way, I am just an interested spectator for now, since I am going to buy a "classic" Model S. (Even if it is a suddenly "3 times less safe" car since it doesn't have AP - it'll still be awesome to me. :))

I read on another site that Elon stated that at freeway speeds there was now going to be a 1 minute nag (for hands on wheel) and with 3 alerts in an hour the system will disable itself until you are parked? can anyone verify or dispute? I get the hands on wheel alert while my hand is on the wheel all the time and I have to give the wheel quite the wiggle to silence the alert. If true, AP will be quite useless for me and I suspect many others. Thoughts?

Hmm, reading this makes me think the intent is to get hands actually on the wheel (emphasis mine):

"They get very comfortable with it and repeatedly ignore the car’s warnings. It’s like a reflex. The car will beep at them, they tug the wheel, the car will beep at them, they tug the wheel, and it becomes an unconscious reflex action. So we will see half a dozen or more, sometimes as many as 10 warning in one hour continuously ignored by the driver. We really want to avoid that situation."

I expect this will drive the false positive folks (people who DO have their hands on the wheel but still get nagged) in to have their sensors checked.

I read on another site that Elon stated that at freeway speeds there was now going to be a 1 minute nag (for hands on wheel) and with 3 alerts in an hour the system will disable itself until you are parked? can anyone verify or dispute? I get the hands on wheel alert while my hand is on the wheel all the time and I have to give the wheel quite the wiggle to silence the alert. If true, AP will be quite useless for me and I suspect many others. Thoughts?

Have you ever had the SC check out the wheel torque sensor? It's possible yours is bad. Tesla claimed in the Montana crash that "even a very small amount of force, such as one hand resting on the wheel, will be detected"

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
If I won't accept the added restrictions of 7.1, why would I accept even more restrictions in 8.0?

You might want to accept some inconveniences to get other improvements such as:

• TACC braking max ramp rate increased and latency reduced by a factor of five
  • Now controls for two cars ahead using radar echo, improving cut-out response and reaction time to otherwise-invisible heavy braking events
  • Will take highway exit if indicator on (8.0) or if nav system active (8.1). Available in the United States initially
  • Car offsets in lane when overtaking a slower vehicle driving close to its lane edge
  • Interface alerts are much more prominent, including flashing white border on instrument panel
  • Improved cut-in detection using blinker on vehicle ahead
  • Reduced likelihood of overtaking in right lane in Europe
  • Improved auto lane change availability
  • Car will not allow reengagement of Autosteer until parked if user ignores repeated warnings
  • Automatic braking will now amplify user braking in emergencies
  • In manual mode, alerts driver if about to leave the road and no torque on steering wheel has been detected since Autosteer was deactivated
  • With further data gathering, car will activate Autosteer to avoid collision when probability ~100%
  • Curve speed adaptation now uses fleet-learned roadway curvature...

• Love
Reactions: TaoJones