Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh sure, you'll cosset (thanks for teaching me that word, BTW) your Tesla's battery, but your iPad you have no qualms leaving at 100%? :p

There’s a slight but elementary difference:
You can call the iPad a ONE or singular battery unit.
The Tesla is a by more than 7100 times different beast.
You cannot compare a Tesla by the same metrics as a consumer device with one single pouch cell.

That’s what a lot of guys seem to forget here.

The BMS on the old chemistry with veteran cars now works in favor of the weakest cell in the whole bunch of more than 7100.
Statistics seem to confirm this precautious act in favor of future occurrences.

Reactions: egn1 and bhzmark
Look at this smeghead breaking the trendline:
View attachment 438185

So about two months ago I was stuck on 2019.4 because my MCU was dying and unable to connect to Wi-Fi to update and eventually died from the e-MMC issue. My replacement MCU came with 2019.24 installed and after driving my car for less than 50 miles I dropped from 221 rated miles at 90% to 199 rated miles at 90%.

2013 Model S P85 with A series battery. Battery was rebuilt by Tesla at about 50,000 miles due to a "cell imbalance" which hindered supercharging and charging.

Thanks for posting as we see more capped instances day by day. I was going to ask you for more data points about your car, but you can instead add your case to this sheet for more visibility.

Is it me or is the sheet missing a bunch of rows all of a sudden? I can't find my entry in it anymore and there are gaps between line numbers.

Someone has put a filter on it. I just removed it. Reload and check again.

On Edit: People forget this is an "anyone can edit" public sheet. They treat the sheet as their own, edit and then leave it as such. Under File drop-down, one can "Make a Copy" or "Download as" and then to modify (like filter it) for their own purpose.

Last edited:
Thanks! I spent way too long trying to unhide the missing rows :confused:

You are welcome.

There is another nice way (for people who are very familiar with how Google Sheets work) to "create" and view your own "filtered view", but I do not recommend it to "everyone" and for this particular sheet.

The "Make a Copy" and the "Download as" options under the File drop-down are the best methods to do whatever needs to be done for the personal usage, filtering, sorting, etc. The Public copy of the sheet needs to stay intact in terms of configuration/presentation, formatting and the view.

One more tip for the non-Google_Sheet savvy folks as it might be the root of misunderstanding: There is no manual "Save" in the Google Sheets (as it exists in the Microsoft spreadsheets). It's always auto-saved. You change anything, it's automatically saved.

You cannot compare a Tesla by the same metrics as a consumer device with one single pouch cell.
The cells in consumer devices like smartphones are prismatic cells!

The BMS on the old chemistry with veteran cars now works in favor of the weakest cell in the whole bunch of more than 7100.
The BMS doesn't work for a single cell of the 7104, it works for 74 of them in parallel. If there is not a peripheral problem (i.e. cooling), weak cells should be more or less uniformly distributed in all 96 modules!

The problem here is another one. And the actions (X/YZ) Tesla has taken are confirming my theory.

May 16th article from Carbuzz

"As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity,” read Tesla’s statement. It went on to say, "Although fire incidents involving Tesla vehicles are already extremely rare and our cars are 10 times less likely to experience a fire than a gas car, we believe the right number of incidents to aspire to is zero.”

I know this verbiage from an article was posted earlier but it's extremely hard for me not to put these fires and software updates together as being connected.

One Little Update Could Keep Teslas From Catching Fire

Do you have this admission of intentional 10% reduction in b writing?
The service manager in Thousand Oaks told my wife and I this over the phone. I sent an email reciting his comments to me and he has not denied or corrected it in any way. I am trying to get it in writing but it is like pulling teeth and the story literally changes every time I speak with someone.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
The service manager in Thousand Oaks told my wife and I this over the phone. I sent an email reciting his comments to me and he has not denied or corrected it in any way. I am trying to get it in writing but it is like pulling teeth and the story literally changes every time I speak with someone.
Unfortunately, that is the norm. We have all been there with them. Personally I think they make things up as they go, rather than talk to an actual engineer.

Reactions: Droschke
Got the following update from local SC about asking to replace my battery I am hopeful this goes somewhere. Keep in mind I also am waiting to hear about my complaint to Tesla corporate as well that i filed with the Attorney General.
Edited: You may want to redact the employee's name and contact information. I posted an email from a Tesla employee once and they were fired over the content. :(

Last edited:
Thank you is their a way to delete it as it’s not giving me that option?
Click Report on the bottom left of the message to ask the moderator to remove it. You can re-post a redacted one.
You only get 1 hour to edit or remove a post. After that the Moderator has to do it.
Edit: Looks like it is deleted. Thank you Moderator :)

Last edited:
29F89CF2-4038-4586-9A47-F17389F1E946.jpeg
View attachment 438566 I got the attached letter in response to my request to get my battery replaced from the local SC. Keep in mind I also am waiting to hear back from my complaint to the Attorney General as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmpedRealtor