Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excessive lithium plating on the anode in the form of dendrites seems to be a problem associated with charging (incl. regenerative charging) of relatively cold batteries. That probably explains why some otherwise similarly treated cars are affected and others not. I expect there are more victims here in northern Europe and in Canada than there are in Ca.

From monitoring my battery temperature for years now I can see that Tesla likes to keep it warm. It is generally between 30 and 40 Celsius. On road trips its between 40 and 50 C.

But we don't know what causes Tesla to limit the capacity of some batteries. I honestly doubt it's cold temperature related as we would see affected cars from cold regions. I believe so far the cars being affected are all across.

Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
Interesting to watch this battery swap video again. If this had been a corporate philosophy Tesla chose, this whole thread wouldn't exist.

Yes. Even though I was never for that idea. The possibility of a newly dented/damaged battery to be bolted down to my undercarriage.

On Edit: At least in the case of propane gas tank swap, you can inspected yourself!

Last edited:
The fact another member who had his car shut down (swegman) worries me that this may be bigger than a reduction in range. I am investing in a battery reading tool anyone else in MN need to borrow it you certainly can. I do not trust Tesla telling me my battery is perfect and in safe working order.

Reactions: lightningltd
The fact another member who had his car shut down (swegman) worries me that this may be bigger than a reduction in range. I am investing in a battery reading tool anyone else in MN need to borrow it you certainly can. I do not trust Tesla telling me my battery is perfect and in safe working order.

But you don't know if his battery failing had anything to do with this update or the BMS changes it made. (Plenty of people have had their battery fail, and had it replaced, prior to 2019.16.x.)

And as far as Tesla saying that the battery was OK shortly before it failed, so what? That is the way things normally are. They are OK until they aren't. You can test something and have it be fine and 1 second later it can fail.

Reactions: Evoforce
But you don't know if his battery failing had anything to do with this update or the BMS changes it made. (Plenty of people have had their battery fail, and had it replaced, prior to 2019.16.x.)

And as far as Tesla saying that the battery was OK shortly before it failed, so what? That is the way things normally are. They are OK until they aren't. You can test something and have it be fine and 1 second later it can fail.
I don't disagree but my question to Tesla would be why not share battery results after they test it? And they probably are not connected we are all making assumptions till they answer us on why they limited range and changed the battery.

Agreed.

Or, they never tested it?

Excessive lithium plating on the anode in the form of dendrites seems to be a problem associated with charging (incl. regenerative charging) of relatively cold batteries. That probably explains why some otherwise similarly treated cars are affected and others not. I expect there are more victims here in northern Europe and in Canada than there are in Ca.
Not always the case. I have never cold charged. All charging has been over 50 degrees f and after a minimum 20 mile drive. Others have also stated the same issue from warmer regions. The mystery continues...

Tesla posted a message on linkedin stating sales grew 40% in China. I posted a comment simply stating some information that Tesla should change there model on sales of cars as well as asking why some batteries were throttled and if it was due to fires. Someone actually responded but did not state why they reduced range but thought I would share in case he responds back to me. Deleting link since it was not working correctly I will update if he responds I posted the conversation in the next post I did as well.

Last edited:
Tesla posted a message on linkedin stating sales grew 40% in China. I posted a comment simply stating some information that Tesla should change there model on sales of cars as well as asking why some batteries were throttled and if it was due to fires. Someone actually responded but did not state why they reduced range but thought I would share in case he responds back to me. here is the link

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-miron-gba-428b627/detail/recent-activity/
Unfortunately, cannot go to the link.. 404 not found :(
I was able to see your profile.. Loved it. Healthcare Disruptor :)

Tesla posted a message on linkedin stating sales grew 40% in China. I posted a comment simply stating some information that Tesla should change there model on sales of cars as well as asking why some batteries were throttled and if it was due to fires. Someone actually responded but did not state why they reduced range but thought I would share in case he responds back to me. here is the link

https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-miron-gba-428b627/detail/recent-activity/

Please always test your links before posting. Also, if the linked site requires logging in, please test the link when you are logged off before posting.

Not always the case. I have never cold charged. All charging has been over 50 degrees f and after a minimum 20 mile drive. Others have also stated the same issue from warmer regions. The mystery continues...

50F (10C) may be low. Above 77F (25C) is probably optimal. Driving 20 miles will not raise it sufficiently. Mileage and SuC% are other determinants of course.

I’ve been complaining to Tesla since June 20 that I had a battery issue. Prior to June 20, I had 74kWh battery capacity under ver 8.1. My car was forcefully updated to ver 9, and my battery capacity started decreasing 1-2kWh each time I charged to it was 66kWh capacity about 3 weeks latter. I had the West Palm Beach FL service center and Rockville MD service center look into the matter and each said the logs show nothing and it’s normal degradation (which I didn’t buy).

I’m in the Boston MA area today and the car is dead with several warnings on the instrument cluster about the battery voltage being below normal, power being reduced, pull over immediately (kinda funny as I was trying to shift the car from park into drive), etc. Called Tesla 877 number and they told me the system shows I have a battery issue (not the 12 volt battery but the HV battery). They have arranged for a tow truck to get my car.

Morale, you know your car better than Tesla. Don’t take their word that there is nothing wrong with the battery if you suspect there is an issue.

Will update when I find out more. I hope I get a loaner car, I have medical appointments in Boston the next two days and need to be in FL on August 14 to see my son who is flying in from out of the country.
When I complained to Tesla about immediately losing 10% range they also gave me a chart claiming there was nothing wrong I was just imaging it. Over time, and challenges, Tesla admitted there is a loss. Last week I was told by Tesla service manager that "Tesla made a conscious decision to reduce charging capacity to 90% to avoid fires and Tesla regards that as a reasonable compromise." I feel this makes the car unsellable since Tesla hasn't fully explained why my specific battery pack I need to disclose it to a buyer. And, I am not confident that the issue is resolved. It also confirms that my (our) battery pack is defective since Tesla thought it dangerous enough to secretly download a "fix". The reduced range is accompanied by longer charge time. Even if I accept the defective battery pack condition and drive the car I now am faced with increased time to actually get any range.

When I complained to Tesla about immediately losing 10% range they also gave me a chart claiming there was nothing wrong I was just imaging it. Over time, and challenges, Tesla admitted there is a loss. Last week I was told by Tesla service manager that "Tesla made a conscious decision to reduce charging capacity to 90% to avoid fires and Tesla regards that as a reasonable compromise." I feel this makes the car unsellable since Tesla hasn't fully explained why my specific battery pack I need to disclose it to a buyer. And, I am not confident that the issue is resolved. It also confirms that my (our) battery pack is defective since Tesla thought it dangerous enough to secretly download a "fix". The reduced range is accompanied by longer charge time. Even if I accept the defective battery pack condition and drive the car I now am faced with increased time to actually get any range.
did they by chance put anything in writing that states the range reduction was to prevent fires?

Whilst I can see the sense in trying to avoid fires, and reducing the capacity may help achieve this, (but will it or are there better alternatives) but surely the solution is to replaced the capped battery with a larger capped battery that, after capping, equals the same as the original battery before it was capped. After all, we are told this only affects a small percentage of owners.

Tesla posted a message on linkedin stating sales grew 40% in China. I posted a comment simply stating some information that Tesla should change there model on sales of cars as well as asking why some batteries were throttled and if it was due to fires. Someone actually responded but did not state why they reduced range but thought I would share in case he responds back to me. Deleting link since it was not working correctly I will update if he responds I posted the conversation in the next post I did as well.

Car is now at the service center and I’m in a loaner Model X. Service said they will perform extensive diagnostics this time. What is unsettling is that when the tow truck came, my car all of a sudden would go into Drive and the error messages went away. Fortunately I took pictures of the error messages to show Tesla service, although they informed me they saw the error messages on their computer screen.

I seriously doubt that Tesla in FL ran diagnostics. All they did was look at the logs and say the battery was perfect and better than an average battery my car’s age. Yet they could not explain why a charge to a 89% range yielded 227 miles on June 19 and on June 20 it was only 218, and has continued to drop to where the 89% range last week was 198 miles.

I also don’t believe the Rockville MD service center did more than check the logs because the car was not pulled into a service bay. They took the car out for a drive and then came back and said there is nothing wrong with the battery, that it is simply “normal degradation”.

If in fact Tesla reduced the capacity on purpose due to a fire risk, they should be replacing the batteries. We paid for a battery of a certain capacity. For Tesla to intentionally take away capacity (not due to degradation) is an unlawful taking. If I weren’t dealing with cancer issues, I would pursue this matter in court. If it is true that Tesla intentionally took away capacity they are opening themselves to a class action lawsuit.

Do you have this admission of intentional 10% reduction in b writing?