Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah... Tesla also suggested I trade in my car (for $15,000) and buy a P100D for $150,000. All because the battery is defective.
Rain has not affected my range by anywhere near 15 miles. In fact, i probably get better range because I drive slower.

But, yes, an extra hour per day is significant.

My actual usage has not varied for almost 18 months at 317 Wh/ mile.

Well this 12 weeks have cost me 60 hours more waiting at Superchargers so far.

It sounds like you're supercharging 1 additional hour every week day as a result of your reduced range? How much were you supercharging before 2019.16?

Without knowing your personal charging routine, it sounds like you may have been really stressing your battery to the limits. Have any other users reported being affected as much as you have?

I would buy a new battery at the 8 Year mark or 200K miles.

I certainly wouldn't go that route. A replacement battery would likely be a 90kWh pack and only comes with a pitiful warranty: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. (Tesla really doesn't want to be in the battery replacement business.)

You either keep going with what you have or you buy a new, or different newer used, Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
I would buy a new battery at the 8 Year mark or 200K miles.
So you would invest $20,000 in a battery for an older car that at retail you might get $30,000 in private sale? Or, you keep it and happen to be in an accident and total your car never to recoup the battery replacement cost. Hmm... those would be the downsides.

It sounds like you're supercharging 1 additional hour every week day as a result of your reduced range? How much were you supercharging before 2019.16?

Without knowing your personal charging routine, it sounds like you may have been really stressing your battery to the limits. Have any other users reported being affected as much as you have?
I was Supercharging once a day prior.
But, quite the contrary, i have 2 people here that Supercharge even more and have over 220,000 miles.

Yeah... Tesla also suggested I trade in my car (for $15,000) and buy a P100D for $150,000. All because the battery is defective.
Rain has not affected my range by anywhere near 15 miles. In fact, i probably get better range because I drive slower.

But, yes, an extra hour per day is significant.

My actual usage has not varied for almost 18 months at 317 Wh/ mile.

Trading in is rarely a good financial decision.

So you would invest $20,000 in a battery for an older car that at retail you might get $30,000 in private sale? Or, you keep it and happen to be in an accident and total your car never to recoup the battery replacement cost. Hmm... those would be the downsides.
It would depend on the degradation (REAL degradation) at 8 years. But, I like this car and $20,000 for another 8 years isn't that bad.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
I certainly wouldn't go that route. A replacement battery would likely be a 90kWh pack and only comes with a pitiful warranty: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. (Tesla really doesn't want to be in the battery replacement business.)

You either keep going with what you have or you buy a new, or different newer used, Tesla.
If Tesla doesn't want to be in the battery replacement business they shouldn't be selling electric cars and Powerwalls. LOL

They especially shouldn't be claiming they are working toward making their cars last a million miles or more, so I think you are probably wrong about that.

Besides, there is ZERO evidence that Supercharging actually hurts the battery.
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘hurts’ in this context, but if you’ve ever looked at pretty much any data sheet for these types of cells, you’d see a link between higher C rated charges and reduced cycle life. It may not specifically ‘damage’(hurt) the pack, but higher charge rates will certainly wear / degrade cells faster than lower charge rates. There is no free lunch.

I have a 2013 Model S 85 KWH with 75,000 miles. Earlier this year I lost about 30 miles in range in about a month. I was told by the service center to let the charge level go to 20 percent and then do a full charge twice (2 cycles). I did this and no change in range level. I believe this is too fast to degrade. Maybe a software upgrade issue?

Saw today someone has filed a class action law suti on this issue.

I have a 2013 Model S 85 KWH with 75,000 miles. Earlier this year I lost about 30 miles in range in about a month. I was told by the service center to let the charge level go to 20 percent and then do a full charge twice (2 cycles). I did this and no change in range level. I believe this is too fast to degrade. Maybe a software upgrade issue?

Saw today someone has filed a class action law suti on this issue.
Yes, that is the issue we have been discussing for 156 pages. Welcome to the club.

In these 150+ pages of discussions we have been trying to figure out what might have caused the cars/batteries to be affected while others are not. Actually the vast majority isn't affected. Looking at all kinds of different use patterns or battery versions we were not able to see a pattern. Some affected cars have supercharged a lot, others not, some have high miles others not so much. Different pack versions are affected.

Supercharging isn't a trigger. My car/batter isn't affected yet I have 230k miles on it and supercharged aprox 160k miles.

OK, tonight my 90% just went to 223. Going to try 100% and should know tonight if I am back to 254 at full charge. I am on version 2019.28.2. I downloaded it this morning and it only charged to 216 at its 90% right after the download. So now tonight there is definite progress in the positive direction. I don't know if the charging curve is going back to normal yet though with Supercharging.

Last edited: