Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Fellow Forum Members,

I have a December 2014 P85D that has been affected by the update. My range went from 249 @ 100% to 217 @ 100% over the course of 1 week in May 2019 (after update).

I took it to the service center and I have in writing their explanation of reducing my battery capacity over the software update.

From the service document:

Concern: Customer states: Range has drop from 219 miles @ 90% in May 2019 to 197 miles @ 90% in 1 month.
-NO REPAIRS NEEDED.-Wear is expected on the HV battery pack along with some alteration of performance.-We are aware that a very small percentage of owners who own older Model S and Model X vehicles may notice a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge.-This occurred following a software update that we released last month to protect the battery and improve battery longevity of Model S and X cars, and does not have any other impact to the vehicle. While charging behavior will always vary based on how a vehicle is driven, charged, vehicle age, and other factors, we will improve the impact on range for this small group of owners.

I also asked “how can I restore my vehicles full advertised functionality” their response was a laugh and “you can buy a new battery pack for $15000”

Rasmussen and lawyer, feel free to reach out, I would love to provide my evidence for your case.

Best regards,
Zad451kw
Load the most recent updates when you get them. It’s looking like range/battery capacity is slowly coming back for some affected vehicles.

Reactions: bhzmark
I too have seen some recovered capacity since 2019.28.2.
I have gotten back 2 kWh and 8 miles rated range.
Still have 6kWh and 24 miles to go.
But it is a start.

Again this shows this was not normal degradation and PURELY artificial software limitation.

I still HOPE this was never related to the fires or Lithium dendrites or plating.
Until Tesla opens up about this... we still have issues.

Even if we get the lost capacity back, we still to know if our batteries are safe.

PS:
Let's see how quickly the usual bunch would disagree ;)

Last edited:
It would depend on the degradation (REAL degradation) at 8 years. But, I like this car and $20,000 for another 8 years isn't that bad.
I am hoping they get it down to $8K. I think it may be possible since there are claims of under $100/kWh battery production. Tesla is apparently already doing replacements with refurbished/reconditioned batteries, which wouldn't make sense for them if that weren't cheaper that using new ones.

If Tesla cars are going to be considered to have useful lives longer than 8 years they are going to have to do something about this. If they can't be expected to last longer than that they are surely going to die in the marketplace once word is spread.

Wow, that's a refresher. Thank you.

We are not used to be addressed as such. Usually, an un-impacted owner walks in with an overbearing self-esteem evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors, gives us a lecture, belittle the hardship, or heck, even call us dumb (the original post has been deleted, but not the responses).

Last edited:
Wow, that's a refresher. Thank you.

We are not used to be addressed as such. Usually, an un-impacted owner walks in with overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors, gives us a lecture, belittle the hardship, or heck, even call us dumb (the original post has been deleted, but not the responses).
I guess we are becoming a bit sensitive. ;)

Reactions: Droschke

I have a December 2014 P85D that has been affected by the update. My range went from 249 @ 100% to 217 @ 100% over the course of 1 week in May 2019 (after update).

I took it to the service center and I have in writing their explanation of reducing my battery capacity over the software update.

From the service document:

Concern: Customer states: Range has drop from 219 miles @ 90% in May 2019 to 197 miles @ 90% in 1 month.
-NO REPAIRS NEEDED.-Wear is expected on the HV battery pack along with some alteration of performance.-We are aware that a very small percentage of owners who own older Model S and Model X vehicles may notice a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge.-This occurred following a software update that we released last month to protect the battery and improve battery longevity of Model S and X cars, and does not have any other impact to the vehicle. While charging behavior will always vary based on how a vehicle is driven, charged, vehicle age, and other factors, we will improve the impact on range for this small group of owners.

I also asked “how can I restore my vehicles full advertised functionality” their response was a laugh and “you can buy a new battery pack for $15000”

Rasmussen and lawyer, feel free to reach out, I would love to provide my evidence for your case.

Best regards,
Zad451kw

The BS parts in bold smells so bad that my laptop fan came on.

Regrettably, I've been advised to stay out of this issue.

Suffice it to say, I'm less than convinced they're going to do the right thing here... but, unfortunately I just don't have the resources to waste defending myself should Tesla actually decide to try something stupid against me on this.

Best of luck with the class action case.
I am not surprised at this since a law suit is pending and just makes me think this is a more serious issue than what is being said.

Suffice it to say, I'm less than convinced they're going to do the right thing here... but, unfortunately I just don't have the resources to waste defending myself should Tesla actually decide to try something stupid against me on this.

There is no emoji for depressing

Advised by whom?

I’m not so familiar with the U.S. legal system, but how could Tesla impose that?

There’s the first amendment...

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke and DJRas

:( I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that one of the main reasons I've been following this thread is to see your conclusions. Thanks for for all you've been able to share with us up to now.

No range recovery after last release. Not whatsoever!! Installed 2019.28.2 320fba0. Charging time also is infinite. Not able at all to charge 100%. Stopped before hitting the end. They make you want to give up. I never expected Tesla to treat their loyal customers this way at all.
Don't give up, Yesterday (after 2 days with 2019.28.2), I managed to charge to 100% for the first time in a long time! This was from 24%.

Attachments

• 20190809_175638.jpg
    20190809_175638.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Informative
Reactions: DJRas and DaveT
@AmpedRealtor

Electrek posted this today: https://electrek.co/2019/08/08/tesla-owner-range-slashed-software-update-class-action-lawsuit/ and Tesla responded by saying they are reversing reduction and sent @DJRas a new firmware immediately. It sounds like Tesla doesn't want to enter the discovery phase in Ras' class action and we'll all be seeing a fix soon.
Tesla doesn't want wk057 talking, either, as they have shut him down. It's quite clear Tesla are trying to keep the lid on something potentially damaging.

"The deal" is the warranty, and there's no need to "alter" it, as it offers no range guarantees at all. If you had an issue with that warranty, which was anything but a secret (it's been widely discussed here for years), it should have been an issue for you when deciding to make your purchase.
Karen, I'm afraid I have to concur with others in this thread. You are not affected and lack a basic understanding of the issue. It's time consuming, and frankly annoying, to try to re-educate someone like you every time you post the nonsense. Let me create a simple example for you that might help. If you still fail to see the problem, it may be best for you to bow out of the discussion because your contributions are not helping move the discussion forward for affected owners.

Toyota makes a million gasoline tanks for their Camry. 10,000 of those tanks had a small weakness at the top, which escaped QC, that led to the development of a crack over time which could cause fuel leakage under certain circumstances. The next time you bring your Camry for an oil change, service alters your gas tank without your permission and reduces its capacity by 5 gallons. This keeps the gas from getting near the top of the tank, where it might leak and catch fire.

When you notice that you can't seem to get the drivable range you had before, or the on board computer estimates a lower range as a result, you inquire with Toyota and they tell you that they limited the capacity of your tank to improve its longevity. Are you okay with that? That's exactly what happened here.

How do I get my car to display this/

Suffice it to say, I'm less than convinced they're going to do the right thing here...
Smells like a coverup to me!