Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many miles? Your getting a new battery pack instead of a new main contactor?

For all I know, the contactor and the battery are closely integrated as a pack (contactor is part of the pack), you just can't replace the contactor without replacing the pack (once you get a new pack, you get a new contactor in it).

Don't know if it's still true for the newer cars though.

Last edited:
For all I know, the contactor and the battery are closely integrated as a pack (contactor is part of the pack), you just can't replace the contactor without replacing the pack (once you get a new pack, you get a new contactor in it).

They are replaceable. Something must have gone haywire during the installation?

The contactors can be replaced in all of the packs. Most older Model Ss have had the contactors replaced at least once.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Guy V
They have a fix for this now. I have an appointment this monday 9/16 to get it fix. They are using some UV machine so let's hope it works for the long haul and just a quick fix. Call your service center.

Fix for what? Capped miles, slow charging, both, or something else? There were reports about UV machine, but not for this problem.

Would you mind saying how did you get this appointment? What exactly does this appointment intended to do.

Anyone installed the newest software after 2019.32.1? What’s the new updates and did it help with battery or suckgate ?
Mine started the download via wifi earlier this week then stopped within a minute or two. Now it no longer says an update is available. Now that I am paying attention I noticed in the last week mine has stopped charging at 229/230 miles at 90% on the app then without more charging I will go to leave in the morning and it will say I have 232 miles. It's like the opposite of vampire drain and doesn't make sense to me. I don't recall it doing this before.

I've had contactors replaced after the balloon noise escalated to limited power (worse than the volt cap, I had 100kW max). Still have original battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Anyone installed the newest software after 2019.32.1? What’s the new updates and did it help with battery or suckgate ?
I just installed this morning.
Nothing immediately noticeable.
20190914_060907.jpg

They are replaceable.

The contactors can be replaced in all of the packs. Most older Model Ss have had the contactors replaced at least once.

his video (at the tagged point) shows the contactor removal and what's inside.

I've had contactors replaced after the balloon noise escalated to limited power (worse than the volt cap, I had 100kW max). Still have original battery.

Thanks for correcting me. I did write "For all I know" at the beginning of my sentence, supposed to make it speculative, I was told recently ;)

Off topic, but ...two years ago, I had a loud, what is called by model S owners as, milling noise from back of the car at low speed. Took the car to the SC and they said your drivetrain needs to be replaced. I also told them I hear this clicking noise when I press on the accelerator pedal at the low speed, can it be the contactor? They told me if the contactor has gone bad you'll need your pack replaced since the contactor and the pack are one piece. That's where my "speculation" came from.

BTW, after the drive drivetrain replacement, the milling noise of course disappeared along with the clicking sound. However, the clicking sound is now back, noticeable whenever I press on the accelerator at the low speed, especially from stop. Hopefully it's not the drivetrain going bad again.

Thanks for correcting me. I did write "For all I know" at the beginning of my sentence, supposed to make it speculative, I was told recently

And I didn't rate your post disagree because you made it clear you weren't sure. (But I thought you might like to know that they are indeed replaceable.)

BTW, after the drive drivetrain replacement, the milling noise of course disappeared along with the clicking sound. However, the clicking sound is now back, noticeable whenever I press on the accelerator at the low speed, especially from stop. Hopefully it's not the drivetrain going bad again.

I think the clicking sound often comes from the axel splines where they go into the hubs. I have seen where people report that Tesla greases the splines and/or just tightens the axel nuts to resolve the issue. So you might want to try having the axel nuts tightened to see if that helps. (I think the correct procedure is to loosen them and then re-torque them.)

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3 and Droschke
And I didn't rate your post disagree because you made it clear you weren't sure. (But I thought you might like to know that they are indeed replaceable.)

I think the clicking sound often comes from the axel splines where they go into the hubs. I have seen where people report that Tesla greases the splines and/or just tightens the axel nuts to resolve the issue. So you might want to try having the axel nuts tightened to see if that helps. (I think the correct procedure is to loosen them and then re-torque them.)

Appreciate it. Thinking about it now, may be the SC guy was talking about taking the pack down to replace the contactor (per the posted video) and I misunderstood that to be the pack replacement. I'm glad I'm corrected.

Also, thanks for the tip on the clicking sound. I'm in the extended warranty period now and, if this needs to be taken care of sooner to avoid causing more problems, looks like this is not something a mobile service can do as the car needs to be on the lift?

Also, thanks for the tip on the clicking sound. I'm in the extended warranty period now and, if this needs to be taken care of sooner to avoid causing more problems, looks like this is not something a mobile service can do as the car needs to be on the lift?

If they are just going to re-torque the axel nut they only need a floor jack. If they are going to lube the splines then I think they would need a lift. So it would depend on what their current procedures are.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I just installed this morning.
Nothing immediately noticeable.
View attachment 454548

I recall seeing the release notes like this from the past few updates.

I never saw the articles from Electrek and Reuters explaining that Tesla is taking steps via software updates to correct certain things with the batteries. Am I correct that there were no release notes addressing both batterygate and chargegate?

Or am I supposed to divine from the catchphrase "minor improvements and bug fixes" that Tesla considers the capped voltage in batteries and the significantly reduced Supercharging speeds to be a minor improvement or bug fix?

If Tesla did not explain fully and concisely what these updates did to our vehicles, and we have to rely upon third-party information, they have done us customers a grave disservice. This is truly shabby treatment.