Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ignore them, there are people known as "Disagreeables" who have overused it so much nobody pays them any mind. He's banned now but if you notice any other accounts auto-disagree with everything you can ignore them by clicking their name and then "ignore user" on the popup until they get banned as well.

I don't think any of us want to risk root voiding warranty but if we can just use it to see what they did it could help in court. They can't claim degradation if we clearly have a Tesla-defined "software battery limit" per the car's own data display.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just ignore them, there are people known as "Disagreeables" who have overused it so much nobody pays them any mind. He's banned now but if you notice any other accounts auto-disagree with everything you can ignore them by clicking their name and then "ignore user" on the popup until they get banned as well.
Or just push the REPORT button on their most inappropriate posts to help the process.

I have hesitated to post this but I doubt it will affect Tesla replacing my battery. Since Tesla said they would replace my battery due to charge/suckgate got me thinking.

Why would they replace my battery if there was a software fix or lower cost option? I know each car may be affected differently with battery, BMS, or a bad module whatever the cause I don’t think it can be fixed without a full battery replacement IMHO.

And FYI I just bought my used S from Tesla in May so I believe that’s the main reason they agreed to do it.

Reactions: boywonder
They can't claim degradation if we clearly have a Tesla-defined "software battery limit" per the car's own data display.
That's a very interesting idea. They wouldn't be able to claim degredation, maybe. But, I think they would say that they are prolonging the battery life and preventing future safety issues. So, if no safety issue is currently present when they issued the cap, then they technically don't have to report anything to NHTSA. If they are doing the update to prevent a predicted future safety issue, then they don't have to report anything because the issue isn't actually present yet, and no recall will be required. That dovetails with the "abundance of caution" phrasing. They didn't detect any safety issue, but are providing the updates, being way overcautious, in order to prevent the possibility that a safety issue might develop in the future. The part that is a gray area, though, is what happens if people decide not to update. Is it 100% guaranteed (or even just a non negligible probability) that all nonupdated BMS's will cause batteries to develop a safety issue? If so, then it's just like having a safety issue that needs to be reported, and a recall is needed. However, the case is probably that there is no measurable probability of the safety issue developing. They may not even know what the "root cause" is. Since they can't measure it, they opt not to report anything, I guess.

That leaves folks with the cap (or potential safety issues for those who don't know about it and don't want to get capped) up a creek...

Why would they replace my battery if there was a software fix ...

That's why I think the cap is permanent. There is no software fix.

I know each car may be affected differently with battery, BMS, or a bad module whatever the cause I don’t think it can be fixed without a full battery replacement IMHO.

Agree. The cap is their fix.

Reactions: mjmiron
That's a very interesting idea. They wouldn't be able to claim degredation, maybe. But, I think they would say that they are prolonging the battery life and preventing future safety issues. So, if no safety issue is currently present when they issued the cap, then they technically don't have to report anything to NHTSA.

I don't see how Tesla wins either way. If it's not a safety issue and they go with "prolonging the battery", then the implication is that the batteries aren't lasting as long as they should have, so they have to remove features in order to stretch out battery life. So they lose the battle either way. If they identified a safety issue that required a change in order to prevent fires, that safety issue should have been reported to NHTSA before they issued a fix, else there is no tracking of the issue and fix. NHTSA is pretty specific on that front: safety issues have to be reported within 5 days of discovery. There is no disclaimer for "unless you already fixed it". On the other hand, if it's nothing but "prolonging the battery", many will perceive that as an admission that their batteries were discovered to not last as long as they should. So it's not a good situation either way.

Mike

Reactions: gmo43 and Droschke
Whatever the fix it’s also possible they don’t have a good one yet who the heck knows.

Like I stated all along they still think they own the cars technology and can take back things that are paid for it’s not right.

At this point I think they are buying time heck all major repairs need to be approved through corporate they are bleeding money and trying to stay afloat any way they can it seems.

I don't see how Tesla wins either way. If it's not a safety issue and they go with "prolonging the battery", then the implication is that the batteries aren't lasting as long as they should have, so they have to remove features in order to stretch out battery life. So they lose the battle either way. If they identified a safety issue that required a change in order to prevent fires, that safety issue should have been reported to NHTSA before they issued a fix, else there is no tracking of the issue and fix. NHTSA is pretty specific on that front: safety issues have to be reported within 5 days of discovery. There is no disclaimer for "unless you already fixed it". On the other hand, if it's nothing but "prolonging the battery", many will perceive that as an admission that their batteries were discovered to not last as long as they should. So it's not a good situation either way.

Mike
Remove features?? ike range miles and slow down supercharging?? Those arent features. When someone paid extra for extended range and then its taken away without a refund its theft.

Reactions: Chaserr and DJRas

Mike
I agree with you there. I'm doing mental gymnastics to try to understand what legal judo their lawyers are executing right now.

Reactions: DJRas

Mike
Rather than "not last as long as they should", I think it more likely it was discovered that they were not going to last as long as the rosy reporting of the BMS was indicating over the last few years.

This seems to be in line with reports here of capped cars showing CAC results that keep getting "more better" than the average, which could be because the average gets lowered as they systematically, selectively, incrementally "correct" the range degradation numbers the BMS had been showing everyone.

The big problem is we are still in uncharted territory on how long we can expect our batteries to last, what is a normal rate of range loss, and what options we will have for replacement/refurbishment at what cost after warranty expiration.

Is a Tesla economically an 8 year life car, 10, 12, 15, 20...?

I think that's a really big deal, much more so than the fastest time around the Nurburgring in my book.

Remove features?? ike range miles and slow down supercharging?? Those arent features. When someone paid extra for extended range and then its taken away without a refund its theft.

Range and charging speed are definitely features I consider when buying an EV. Although rather than saying removed, I probably should have said "removed a portion of" or "handicapped" those features.

Rather than "not last as long as they should", I think it more likely it was discovered that they were not going to last as long as the rosy reporting of the BMS was indicating over the last few years.

By not lasting as long as they should, I meant what many people are wondering: did they do it because they feared they wouldn't last the term of the warranty?

Mike

I seem to be experiencing similar "losses" on a 2013 Signature P85 with 180k kms.

Not as bad though, my guess based only on the rated kms is 5 to 6% since May. Unsure whether it's been progressive or in a couple of 'drops'.

Also lately I seem to be getting the yellow dotted power limitation lines more often and at higher SoC.

What is the simplest / least expensive (ideally free) way to read the actual (current) battery capacity data as shown by others? Are those free / inexpensive apps, or one can only get to such data through a physical data connection with the car?

• Informative