Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the normal long distance travel case, this is WAY worse than losing 15 miles of range.

I’m seeing interesting supercharger behavior in my degraded tesla-owned car today. In an unpaired stall, initially 10s of kW, but a drop to 7kW when someone plugged in to my paired stall. They left, and back to 10s of kWs.

Someone else connected to my paired stall, and a drop to 7kW, at about 70% charge. Estimate is 1 hr 10 mins to 90%. I plan to test that estimate.

You’re not paranoid if ....

Do you really? A pack replacement is pretty much a guarantee that Tesla would force you to update the firmware, so you would get pushed off of V8.

Yes, and I really don't like the UI but with a 90 pack, I wouldn't have to worry about battery and charge gate as those who've gotten replacements get the V3 pack which doesn't have the OTHER charge gate counter limited issue.

Reactions: Ferrycraigs
We are going on 4 1/2 months.
I won't be holding my breath!
If this is not resolved to our satisfaction by the stock holders meeting - count me in. We will have a group of us with a well planned and pointed remarks on the "Safety" issue that is being swept under the rug with the distraction of lowering kWh capacity of all batteries effected. The fire danger is still there and there is no proof about the kWh reduction eliminating that.

Nothing except a report that someone was told by their service center that the reason for the loss was "they were selected among others for a test"
So no real news. Sorry.
What's sad is that if they had asked me if I was willing to participate in an important test, I'd have asked how long and probably agreed to it. After all, I've been beta testing software since MS-DOS 3.2 LOL

What's sad is that if they had asked me if I was willing to participate in an important test, I'd have asked how long and probably agreed to it. After all, I've been beta testing software since MS-DOS 3.2 LOL
Guy: Do you happen to know what is the small green triangle on the top left corner of some member's picture on this forum/thread means, or what does it refer to?

So just to sum up, it sounds like the path forward for capped folks is 1) keep an eye on the class action, help if possible; 2) bring this up at a shareholders meeting and demand a plan to fix this. The question will have to preclude the dumb canned answers, so it will have to say at the end, "and don't respond with 'just a tiny amount of owners have a tiny amount of range reduction and most owners won't notice.' If it's a tiny amount then Tesla will not have trouble replacing the batteries."

How do the question sessions at the shareholder meetings work? Can we submit them beforehand?

How do the question sessions at the shareholder meetings work? Can we submit them beforehand?

You can submit questions beforehand via say.com, and if they are voted to the top X Tesla answers them. Otherwise when they get to the Q&A section you have to line up at one of the mics and wait until you get to the front to ask your question. (And for both you have to be a shareholder.)

I really wish my P85DL battery would die so I can get a P90DL battery and avoid this entire mess but it's doing great after 5 years and 101K miles :(
I don't think you want a 90 battery. I have one, and my charge rate has been throttled by around one third. 40 minutes of supercharging two years ago now takes an hour or more. Car is barely viable for long range trips at this point, and the only reason it still is is autopilot. Over 25% of my travel time is now spent sitting at superchargers.

I don't think you want a 90 battery. I have one, and my charge rate has been throttled by around one third. 40 minutes of supercharging two years ago now takes an hour or more. Car is barely viable for long range trips at this point, and the only reason it still is is autopilot. Over 25% of my travel time is now spent sitting at superchargers.

did they cap your battery or do you still have most of your range?

You make a valid point, but taking features/range away after the agreed upon price was paid for those features and range without compensation in a sudden and dramatic and unexplained way is not fair to the consumer.

If you bought a phone that had 85GB of memory and 2 years in, the phone manufacturer, out of an abundance of caution and to prolong the life of the phone decided to take away 12GB of that memory, wouldn't you want to be compensated for that reduction? I certainly would.
darn right I would

Reactions: lightningltd

There were multiple revisions of the 90 battery pack. If you have a v1 or v2 it's less desirable. Presumably a remanufactured 90 today would be a v3. That's all assuming you have ludicrous. I'm not sure how many types get added to the mix if we include non ludicrous 90 packs.

You have a V3 90 pack??? Are both your cooling louvers opening up when you supercharge? If one isn't you won't get any kind of error displayed but your charging will be limited to 65KW to 70KW after the first minute or so.