Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should have a good idea a month from now on wether or not Tesla will do good and fix our batteries. Right or am I wrong?

I would say you are wrong. A month from now all we will know is if Tesla and the plaintiff came to an agreement on how to resolve the complaint. It is possible that Tesla offered to return the range and charging speed but the plaintiff rejected the offer because they wanted more. (Like a public explanation about why the limits were put in place or extending the battery warranty by x years.)

Tangentially related to the issue:
For further progress in the use of electric vehicles and energy storage systems from the network, it is desirable to develop the chemistry of lithium-ion cells, which provides a longer service life at high temperatures and high voltage cells without a significant increase in cost. The introduction of sacrificial electrolyte additives on the order of a few weight percent is a practical method to form protective solid-electrolyte interphase (SEI) layers that limit electrolyte decomposition during cell storage and operation. In recent years, significant efforts have allowed to obtain a large number of such additives that can be used to improve the characteristics of cells for various applications.

This patent provides compositions for use as electrolyte additives in lithium-ion battery systems and relates to the chemical composition of rechargeable battery systems, including active electrolyte additives, to improve the properties of rechargeable lithium-ion battery systems. This disclosure covers new battery systems with fewer active electrolyte additives that can be used in various energy storage applications, for example, in vehicles and power systems. More specifically, this disclosure includes additive electrolyte systems that enhance performance and lifetime of lithium-ion batteries, while reducing costs from other systems that rely on more or other additives.

Tesla filed a patent 'Dioxazolones and nitrile sulfites as electrolyte additives for lithium-ion batteries'

We should have a good idea a month from now on wether or not Tesla will do good and fix our batteries. Right or am I wrong?
it's already a "not" to Tesla doing the right thing. Mediation is a delay tactic and nothing more. To come to an agreement they have to return full charging speed and uncap everyone. If Tesla wanted to do the right thing they didn't need to get sued they just wouldn't have done the wrong thing over and over.

They won't replace every battery until there's a huge media extravaganza and they are still keeping this quiet.

If the concern was safety and the quick fix was capping and limiting that was actually the right thing. They simply do not have the batteries available to recall all vehicles and replace packs. Obviously they aren't being honest with customers as to what's actually happening but without replacement packs available I'm not sure what else they could have done. Not capping and limiting affected vehicles would have been wrong if the potential result was fires.

Reactions: Jkr85 and fbitz777
I don't think it's the port or anything mechanical. My battery is dying and those are signs of it happening. If it was that it wouldn't say 'DC charging'. A poor connection would trigger the system to reduce AC charging as well and cause a different error message.
That's strange (interrupted charging a symptom of your dying battery) because there are many others with dying batteries on this thread and none of them have reported interrupted super charging as a symptom despite your specific post asking if anyone else is experiencing that.

AC charging will have much lower current and also slightly lower impedance through slightly corroded connections so the lack of problem with AC charging does not rule out your connector as the source of the problem. It is instead the most likely (although not only) explanation for the interrupted charging problem. You should at least inspect it (the back side where you didn't torque the connections to spec) and if there are no visual or odor indications then you can reasonably claim that's not the problem.

Off topic, but responding here.
I have 2019.40.2.3 staged to install but haven’t allowed it to install.
Don't do it! 2014 AP1 MS. This software no longer allows sizing the browser to anything other than full screen. Other apps. like music will take up half screen so I can view that and Nav. Since I run TeslaWaze in the browser, I can no longer view Waze and Nav at the same time. Otherwise, I got absolutely no value out of that update. Only browser restrictions. I did ask Tesla. Here's what I got back. "This is intentional. We’re no longer doing the split window setup on the center display."

Quick update: they confirmed they are replacing the HV battery and the replacement should get to the SC tomorrow--not sure what is showing up, but should know tomorrow. Turnaround seems to be pretty quick (car went I on the 23rd), but I am sure being is CA helps.
Great news. I’m willing to ship my car to CA, if they would replace the battery...lol

Last edited:
If the concern was safety and the quick fix was capping and limiting that was actually the right thing.
Unfortunately no. If the concern was safety and they kept it a secret and never made any repairs or informed the authorities in charge of determining whether safety was even a potential issue, they did the most dangerously irresponsible wrong thing they could have done. There is nothing more likely to cause death or injury they could possibly have done than that, and it isn't just "the wrong thing" that is "the most criminal thing" they could do.

MP3mike marked this post "read"

Last edited:
If the concern was safety and the quick fix was capping and limiting that was actually the right thing. They simply do not have the batteries available to recall all vehicles and replace packs. Obviously they aren't being honest with customers as to what's actually happening but without replacement packs available I'm not sure what else they could have done. Not capping and limiting affected vehicles would have been wrong if the potential result was fires.
I would of respected Tesla more if they told us they were capping it upfront, and then how and when they would take corrective action by repairing or replacing the battery.

So I did my first scan. If I’m interpreting this correctly, my cells look consistent but I’m definitely capped.

95FB58F1-B998-479D-8113-58D71919A8EE.png

506399F5-3833-426F-AD44-50D09B15B90D.png

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
Unfortunately no. If the concern was safety and they kept it a secret and never made any repairs or informed the authorities in charge of determining whether safety was even a potential issue, they did the most dangerously irresponsible wrong thing they could have done. There is nothing more likely to cause death or injury they could possibly have done than that, and it isn't just "the wrong thing" that is "the most criminal thing" they could do.
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Tesla found an issue and took immediate action to prevent the problem from causing a fire. With the immediate problem solved they then continued investigating and working on other solutions. The only other thing they could have done was immediately recalled all affected vehicles, but with no replacement packs available people would have been without their cars, or be given ICE rentals from Tesla, for months. Obviously it would have been a disaster for the company, from which it may never have recovered, which would have meant no replacement packs for anyone in the future.

It would indeed be ridiculous for Tesla to conceal safety issues but since you brought it up I had to point out just how illegal that crime would be.

Tesla found an issue and took immediate action to prevent the problem from causing a fire. With the immediate problem solved they then continued investigating and working on other solutions.

No they didn't. We know for a fact that this is not true because we were not mailed a recall notice or informed in any way, which is the only legal response. We don't even know if they would have to do an immediate recall or not because if you're right they never informed the NHTSA who makes those decisions, and we know from the Takata recalls we already had done to our cars that Tesla won't be required to do all recalls at once and will be allowed to stagger them out for years if needed. Your imaginary justifications don't fit how recalls hasve already been handled for our cars. And recalls ARE DEFINITELY REQUIRED for the defects you suggest are being hidden from us. There is only one organization that makes recall decisions and they had to be informed the same week Tesla learned about the issue. In order for action to be taken - and batterygate is an action - the NHTSA has to OK it and owners have to be informed. Failure to do so is illegal

What you're saying is "Tesla is hiding a problem and hasn't reported it. I hope maybe nobody will be killed but we can only hope and pray that my guess bout their crimes are correct but that I'm wrong about the rest."

If Tesla did what you say they did, they are intentionally NOT taking action to address a high risk fatal flaw and are willing to break the law and continually put people in danger to save a few dollars.

I don't think they are as guilty as you think they are.

Obviously it would have been a disaster for the company, from which it may never have recovered, which would have meant no replacement packs for anyone in the future.

Right. If they hid potentially fatal fire problems from everyone and actively avoided fixing them for almost a year now AFTER they already stated in writing they were investigating a possible fire problem, that's the biggest possible disaster for the company they could have come up with. You suggested the disaster, I still disagree.

We know they didn't do anything to stop fires because, by law, they have to tell the NHTSA and us if they did and it's been so long one of us would have been informed by now. If you were right, the criminal implications are disastrous. So you're probably wrong.

MP3mike marked this post "read"

Last edited:
So I did my first scan. If I’m interpreting this correctly, my cells look consistent but I’m definitely capped.
(images snipped)
You need to charge to at least 80% (preferably 100%), unplug and check again (if charging to > 80%, be prepared to drive or have the coolant pumps run to burn off excess charge).
At 80%, voltages should be right around 4.00V.
At 90%, voltages should be right around 4.10V.
At 100%, voltages should be right around 4.20V.

If you're at 100% and showing about 4.10V or less, you're definitely capped.