Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Ferrycraigs!

thanks for the reply. I ask because TESLA just informed me that going forward, supercharging would cause more degradation to my battery than charging by AC. Since, DC is DC, that made no sense to me, UNLESS, TESLA believes that their CURRENT BMS is hedging the bet that a MORE injurious chargconsequente rate-seems mine is Supercharger capped at 47kW the last time I charged vs. a 42 kW at home will keep the masses somewhat pacified (which it won't) and the increased "degradation" at Superchargers is also a hedge.

Seems that TESLA is saying, though, that 47 kW at Superchargers, as an exclusive charging method, would be no different than 47kW at home charging and the TESLA statement is just not correct. I suppose the only caveat to that is if the onboard charger somehow cleans up the power, or something else, but then, why are't all sources going through the onboard charger/devices..

Thank you very much

FURY

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Hi Ferrycraigs!

thanks for the reply. I ask because TESLA just informed me that going forward, supercharging would cause more degradation to my battery than charging by AC. Since, DC is DC, that made no sense to me, UNLESS, TESLA believes that their CURRENT BMS is hedging the bet that a MORE injurious chargconsequente rate-seems mine is Supercharger capped at 47kW the last time I charged vs. a 42 kW at home will keep the masses somewhat pacified (which it won't) and the increased "degradation" at Superchargers is also a hedge.

Seems that TESLA is saying, though, that 47 kW at Superchargers, as an exclusive charging method, would be no different than 47kW at home charging and the TESLA statement is just not correct. I suppose the only caveat to that is if the onboard charger somehow cleans up the power, or something else, but then, why are't all sources going through the onboard charger/devices..

Thank you very much

FURY
There is NO way someone has 42KW at home!

BTW, I did ask TESLA service center if I could set a lower cap rate at the 32kW the wall charger my Golf cart charger would allow ) but they said only TESLA BMS sets that rate. I was again thinking of ANY number that would be equal to the cap TESLA placed on my battery, which SHOULD be an equivalent damaging rate.

Thank you very much

FURY

BTW, I did ask TESLA service center if I could set a lower cap rate at the 32kW the wall charger my Golf cart charger would allow ) but they said only TESLA BMS sets that rate. I was again thinking of ANY number that would be equal to the cap TESLA placed on my battery, which SHOULD be an equivalent damaging rate.

Thank you very much

FURY

You use UMC at home?

@FURY we learned from the original 90kwh chargegate scandals that Tesla they can't tell the difference between 2kw DC charging and 140kw DC charging and just assume all DC charging is bad and count every "instance" in a counter until they reach a programmed cripple line. It's not smart or calculated it's just a dumb counter of DC connections.

Batterygate has been a long time brewing and is still as secret and dumb as ever. No transparency from Tesla after all these years.

It was in another discussion here where Tesla refused to cover a contactor replacement under warranty and other repairs on the drive train. They claimed it is not part of the warranty.
Please Help! Drive unit seal not covered under warranty as part of drive unit??

Thanks David. I did notice the thread's title while back and thought it was only the seal (which still doesn't make sense). Missed the contactor was denied as well. Apparently they make up new bizarre rules as they go.

Thanks David. I did notice the thread's title while back and thought it was only the seal (which still doesn't make sense). Missed the contactor was denied as well. Apparently they make up new bizarre rules as they go.

Which is BS because they can't redefine it at random. Many others got their contactors replaced under warranty. They can't just decide it's not covered some day. Contactors are not a part that an owner has any control over how they are used. It can't be user error or abuse. It just makes me worried more that Tesla is acting this way. They are doing with the batteries. They just claim this is covered or not. They just say, 'your battery is fine', when it isn't. The only option for us is to go to court which takes a long time and leaves you stuck with a defective car for potentially years.

The other thing is the battery warranty for the Model 3, the latest generation cells. They are supposed to be superior to the old cells from the early Model S. Only 150k miles and 70% degradation is covered. That's a very poor coverage to be frank. It shows how much Tesla is expecting those batteries to degrade and they set the warranty accordingly. Not reassuring at all.

Tesla focuses on one thing and one thing only. New car sales. Batteries produced will wind up in new cars on the road before they wind up as warranty replacements. There is more sizzle and profit to new car sales than there is to warranty repairs or even to paid battery replacements.

I agree with you: Tesla needs to ramp up a systematic battery replacement method and inventory so that anyone who wants to buy to upgrade or anyone with a warranty repair can have the battery replaced within a week to ten days, max.

But Tesla has operated like a Ponzi scheme since day one; they don't feel as if they need to change their behavior any time soon.
Yep, we need them to broaden their focus. They need to do it for their, and their shareholder's, own good. They need to do it to continue leading the EV revolution for the sake of human life on the planet.

That is incorrect, Tesla cannot change a warranty after a car is purchased. The original warranties still apply.
You misunderstood my point. The point was today they offer a 150k mile warranty on a model S battery when it used to be unlimited, excluding the 60kwh battery. So I wonder what the million mile warranty will be. Not that they can legally change the warranty terms on a already sold product as much as they may want to.

Reactions: Droschke
Yep, we need them to broaden their focus. They need to do it for their, and their shareholder's, own good. They need to do it to continue leading the EV revolution for the sake of human life on the planet.
I agree we need a better solution than ICE for the planet. However I no longer believe it's Tesla EV's. Clearing a forest in Germany for a manufacturing plant. Producing cars that follow a disposable model because the battery is only good for about 6 years. Battery replacements are quoted at $24k which will convince many people to just scrap the car and get something else vs the typical 15 year useful ice lifespan. This is literally the opposite of environmentally responsible.

I agree we need a better solution than ICE for the planet. However I no longer believe it's Tesla EV's. Clearing a forest in Germany for a manufacturing plant. Producing cars that follow a disposable model because the battery is only good for about 6 years. Battery replacements are quoted at $24k which will convince many people to just scrap the car and get something else vs the typical 15 year useful ice lifespan. This is literally the opposite of environmentally responsible.
The trees they are cutting were planted to be harvestable. They will be replaced by trees recommended as environmentally beneficial, and as recommended at a variety of selected sights. Overall it will be a significant environmental positive.

I believe this is what some of us have a hard time to believe. A re-manufactured pack is not a new pack and there is no way for us to know it has modules with newer cell chemistry just because it says a "newer rev." It's just better than a dead pack, for sure. There are many reported instances of the replaced packs being replaced again (and again). Of course that single instance of a 350V/~89kWh replacement pack we have heard about is another story.

Don't disagree with this--not enough data points and not enough longitudinal info to really form a meaningful conclusion. One thought is that with the new HV diagnostics, they can weed the sick packs out fo the supply chain altogether, so now they can also screen the reman packs make sure they don't end up in cars only to subsequently fail.

The trees they are cutting were planted to be harvestable. They will be replaced by trees recommended as environmentally beneficial, and as recommended at a variety of selected sights. Overall it will be a significant environmental positive.
That's really good to know about the trees. Although a bit surprised that there WW2 bombs near trees planted to be harvested. When I first heard about clearing the trees I was shocked. This doesn't address the waste with a 6yr battery life and no replacement program in sight.

That's really good to know about the trees. When I first heard about clearing the trees I was shocked. This doesn't address the waste with a 6yr battery life and no replacement program in sight.
Not counting that solar panels on the same area are 13 times better than trees in terms of CO2 reduction.
I was surprised to learn that Germany is the 4th leading country (and highest per capita) in terms of solar energy production.

Last edited:
I took out my 2015 March built Model S 85D for supercharging after a long time, just to test chargegate.

Guess what? I can’t use this car for road trips anymore. It took 1hr 20 minutes to charge from 15% to 90% and it barely stayed at ~60kW charge rate before dropping down to 50s and then settling around 30s.

I have about 52k miles on it and have only supercharged it maybe 20 times or less in about 5 years.

The only good news is that it doesn’t suffer from batterygate as 100% is still pretty good at 265 miles while new was 273 or thereabouts.

What should I do? Service? File NHTSA complaint? Sell the car? I’m already dreading the eMMC failure when it arrives.

Very disappointed by Tesla these days. Got shafted by not being honored 1 prepaid service plan by missing it by a few days when they told me not to worry about timing in the previous service. The contract is clear I had no recourse but I shouldn’t have taken their word. Also, my door handle had intermittently stopped working during warranty period but they said water may have gone in but guess what, it stopped working completely a few weeks after warranty. Had to pay for parts and they agreed to waive labor. Small mercies.

I took out my 2015 March built Model S 85D for supercharging after a long time, just to test chargegate.

Guess what? I can’t use this car for road trips anymore. It took 1hr 20 minutes to charge from 15% to 90% and it barely stayed at ~60kW charge rate before dropping down to 50s and then settling around 30s.

I have about 52k miles on it and have only supercharged it maybe 20 times or less in about 5 years.

What about you model X in terms of Supercharging?