Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will only comment that I've had a loaner car forced firmware updates. I had to head out late one night to get someone from the airport. It was about 2am. I got in the car, the update available window was on the screen. Before I touched anything the update window disappeared and the countdown clock started. I did cancel it. Got to airport, got out. When I got back to the car it was in the process of installing. We had to wait another 30 or so minutes for it to start. Circa, 2015. P85+
This happened to me. Luckily I had my wife's ice. I did call tesla to give them my ten cents. I never approved of such update.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Perhaps there should just be a new thread that discusses everything Tesla has been shady about over the years

Range loss issues
Charge speed issues
90/75 pack accelerated degradation
691* HP
77 kWh usable "85s" and 82 kWh usable "90s"
"Every car built [since October 2016] has all of the hardware needed for full self driving"
MCU eMMC issues
"0"-60 times
Remotely disabling key features after a fender bender

I mean, this list goes on. So, I think a megathread for such gripes might be in order.

That said, this thread is about the loss of range after applying updates and discussions around that... these other gripes, while valid, probably should have their own place.

How many miles does yours have? My 100% charge on a good day is now 250 miles. As I stayed on 8.1, I would have been extremely better off in the long run saving $10,000 and getting the 85 pack instead of the 90.
My MS is going to be hitting 100,000 miles within the next week or so.
I'm a bit over 75k miles. So I guess I have even more Tesla charge degrading to look forward to.
Even now the car is borderline for multi-supercharger trips because it takes so long to charge. If the rate degrades further, it becomes a very expensive around-town car, which was NOT why I purchased it. For an around town car I'd have gone with a Kia or Smart, and saved 75-80 thousand dollars.

And here we have it Ladies & Gentlemen. The enigma has finally spoken:

CONDITION X IS THE THERMAL
RUNWAY.

The worst case scenario.

Appreciated.
So they were searching for factors of thermal runway, found none but instead could define degraded and overtaxed batteries which wouldn’t make it past the warranty and decided to step proactively in.
did this ever come into doubt? Tesla told us they were investigating fires, and that the many gate actions were in response to their fire investigation. They even used the words "abundance of caution" which is historically what they say before a recall so it was telegraphed long ago. I doubt anyone actually thought their fire press release announcing batterygate was coming was unrelated to fires, and thermal runaway was the obvious conclusion to draw. Literally all of the gates and assorted behavior changes have revolved around reducing temperatures and avoiding an uncontrollable thermal event without actually replacing hardware that needed to be replaced. Then, "advanced diagnostics" started scooping theost likely to combust batteries off the road in an affordable controlled manor rather than all at once.

If imagine this was the intent all along, delay and make replacements affordable. Unfortunately, keeping batteries unlikely to burn from past damage on the road, but still impacted by the design flaws that cause them to burn when used as advertised, means they probably have no intention to ever uncap charge speeds. If anything I expect them to go down more and more, as they wouldn't be lying about "5 minute" increases in charge times when we know its well over an hour longer if they were actually saying the lies to us. Those words are for officials investigating, not drivers complaining.

Fortunately, taking advertised features away to prolong life and reduce warranty is as illegal as hiding safety investigations. If you don't like the class actions settlement, refuse it and start another suit using everything they say when they settle. If they claim charge gate is off topic, class action that too - it is clearly a thermal runaway mitigation effort made in response to their fire announcement as well as an advertised and paid feature "for the life of the car" for most of us. They enticed us with fast charging.

Last edited:
I'm a bit over 75k miles. So I guess I have even more Tesla charge degrading to look forward to.
Even now the car is borderline for multi-supercharger trips because it takes so long to charge. If the rate degrades further, it becomes a very expensive around-town car, which was NOT why I purchased it. For an around town car I'd have gone with a Kia or Smart, and saved 75-80 thousand dollars.

I hear you loud and clear. The 10 miles or so of rated range that I lost was fairly negligible, but having my supercharging speeds limited that is the one that really kneecapped the car. Much like you now the car is of little use beyond its single charge range away from and back to my house. If I have to make a trip that involves multiple superchargers it's just not worth it anymore.

Guess that's one way to weed out those of us that still have free unlimited supercharging for life. Make it so slow that it's of no value so we stop using them. Lol!

To be fair I knew that there would probably be some growing pains and that I was dealing with an unknown to some degree but it doesn't feel any better when your car has its capability removed in one felt swoop

Last edited:
I have learned to multiply reported Supercharging times by 1.5 to get an actual time. If the car reports 30 minutes of charging time is required to continue, the actual time is closer to 45 minutes.
Took a 400+ mile trip yesterday, SCed twice. Both times the battery was warm from 75+ MPH turnpike driving and reported 30 minutes of charge would be needed and the actual time was about 45.
“Magic” number (SoC + kW charge rate) was almost exactly 105.

I have learned to multiply reported Supercharging times by 1.5 to get an actual time. If the car reports 30 minutes of charging time is required to continue, the actual time is closer to 45 minutes.
Took a 400+ mile trip yesterday, SCed twice. Both times the battery was warm from 75+ MPH turnpike driving and reported 30 minutes of charge would be needed and the actual time was about 45.
“Magic” number (SoC + kW charge rate) was almost exactly 105.
Was there any time where predicted SC charging times were even closer? I was able to charge 0 to 82 percent(X75D) last month in one hour which I thought was pretty good (had predicted 65 minutes for 100 percent) but then it gets really off at the top end of SOC

Supercharge estimates used to be reasonably accurate. I believe they failed to account for chargegate in the estimates - or chose not to estimate accurately on purpose because "2 hours+" wouldn't look good in photos.

Is everyone else still seeing " high use supercharger locations" limited to 80% even at empty zero traffic spots? For me it's 100% of every site.

Twitter thread with some Model 3 owners showing increasing range after an update, relevant post here is an S owner showing a graph of steadily increasing range after a large drop
https://twitter.com/5seas/status/1320368710184386567?s=20

upload_2020-10-25_16-23-30.png

Was there any time where predicted SC charging times were even closer? I was able to charge 0 to 82 percent(X75D) last month in one hour which I thought was pretty good (had predicted 65 minutes for 100 percent) but then it gets really off at the top end of SOC
Yes, prior to the chargegate update -- the estimate was pretty spot on, even to 100%
Supercharge estimates used to be reasonably accurate. I believe they failed to account for chargegate in the estimates - or chose not to estimate accurately on purpose because "2 hours+" wouldn't look good in photos.

Is everyone else still seeing " high use supercharger locations" limited to 80% even at empty zero traffic spots? For me it's 100% of every site.
I totally agree - 2 hours looks really bad is and likely why they aren't showing such. The press would eat this up.

Reactions: First EV and gmo43
Yes, prior to the chargegate update -- the estimate was pretty spot on, even to 100%

I totally agree - 2 hours looks really bad is and likely why they aren't showing such. The press would eat this up.

+1

Before the update, my general impression was that the estimates were reasonably accurate, but now, after a 30 min estimate you check your phone/car and it's estimating yet another 20 min. Very frustrating.

Would be nice if I could sign something to give me back faster charging in exchange for giving up any legal recourse for wear-related battery issues.

I almost never supercharge so it'd be all fine and dandy while leaving me the ability to get on the rare long trips without issue.
if they put that in writing it's just an admission of guilt they sold a vehicle that was damaged by their advertised intended usage.

The problem here is we were lied to and stolen from, and Tesla has no intention of letting us own what we already bought.

At least when Apple was caught they offered reasonable battery replacements for their faulty hardware. Tesla is financially motivated to limp these batteries over the warranty and then disable them on software as soon as possible afterward so we stop prepaid charging ASAP.