Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B19F9EDD-0258-44F1-ACA2-0A6270ABAA43.png
E3E44C4B-8A4A-47CE-9FA4-BEB968F4F82D.png
31D91713-FC70-42F9-8BC2-BCC221EC6103.png
View attachment 419378 With data, it doesn’t look like degradation, looks like manipulation.

On 02 Feb 2017 at 100% and 76.4kWh of 76.4kWh remaining capacity, module voltages were about 4.19v.

Today, 14 June 2019, At 97% (where charging halted) and 64.3 kWh out of 66kWh capacity, module voltages are about 4.07v.

Only charged to 97%, after 1hr and 51 minutes on a supercharger.

This looks a lot like the max battery fiasco.
and 691 and 762 hp.
And 85kWh batteries, and ...

Attachments

• E2825D5B-CA4F-4305-976B-9B686EFD8B05.jpeg
    E2825D5B-CA4F-4305-976B-9B686EFD8B05.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chaserr and Ulmo
Lost 20km of max charging within 2 weeks on my S85D. At the 12th of May I was able to charge to 399km at 100% charge. 2 days ago the max charge has dropped to 379km all of a sudden. Temperatures at both charge times were around 18 degrees Celsius.

Called Tesla and they’re telling me the car logs show battery degradation and saying this is “normal”. Has anyone on this forum ever had such a steep loss of max range in such a short period? 5% loss of the max capacity in 2 weeks seems a bit much...
View attachment 415328

What do the relative voltages of each of the 96 strings show on a CANBUS scan with TM-SPY?

That's pretty close to what Tesla told me on the phone. I understand the range degradation as it's expected. What is unknown is the sudden and drastic range loss after 2019.16.x many owners are experiencing. It almost looks as they have shrunk our usable battery capacity to avoid 100% charging. In other words, If the charging now completes at 100%, it might be only 90% in reality. If true, the question is what's the reason behind it? A poster in another thread stated the 2019.16.x has increased the reserved portion of the pack by 1kW on his car.

There are other possibilities for this sudden range loss. We just do not know.

Would be easy to verify if only someone with tm-spy and a canbus cable would look at what the BMS reports as SOC vs what is displayed on the dash....and what the kwh capacity reported by the BMS is.

I use scan-my-Tesla app and after 2019.6.3.2 update the battery buffer went from 4kWh to 5kWh thereby "stealing" 4kms of range :(

When my wife gets home with my elm327, I'll go out and use scan my tesla to record what it is currently. I'm still on v8 and will stay on v8 as long as possible. If Tesla actually takes away range with a software update, I will be suing them without delay.

I removed all wifi aps and turned off wifi. Hopefully they'll only download software while on wifi. The staged software I've had for the last 6 months finally went away and no more yellow clock.

At this point, it's probably time to root the car.

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and P85_DA
Ok. That's exactly what I did yesterday manually based on the IC data and during the same ride, but was getting two different results for the total range:

135 RM @55% ==> 135/0.55 = 245.5 miles total range
120 RM @50% ==> 120/0.50 = 240 miles total range

Something not right ...
Rounding errors can cause the discrepancy you are seeing there. The ranges of those two calculated values overlap if you take rounding into account. You will get more repeatable numbers if you do the calculation when at a higher percentage charge, like 80 to 90%. Even better, if you take the readings shortly after charging, say to 80 or 90%, you should get pretty repeatable numbers, at least over the short term. But you will still have some rounding uncertainty with the RM value.
That is what I have experienced with data from charging my car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and Droschke
Rounding errors can cause the discrepancy you are seeing there. The ranges of those two calculated values overlap if you take rounding into account. You will get more repeatable numbers if you do the calculation when at a higher percentage charge, like 80 to 90%. Even better, if you take the readings shortly after charging, say to 80 or 90%, you should get pretty repeatable numbers, at least over the short term. But you will still have some rounding uncertainty with the RM value.
That is what I have experienced with data from charging my car.

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.