Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ferrycraigs:
When did you discharge below 10% the last time?
Probably the BMS is just discalibrated.
Primarily because my battery has been capped, I now get below 10% quite frequently. Certainly within the last month. This is new. Normally I operated between 20-80%. That is no longer enough. The battery has been up and down between >10% to 100% quite a lot in the last 3 months, primarily due to taking readings from the CANBUS at various states of charge. So I assume the BMS is calibrated.

Chargegate affects all nosecone cars.
Battery gate most drastically affects 85s. However we don’t know if or how it’s affecting others.
Are you sure chargegate affects all pre facelift cars? And I’m sure we do know that batterygate does affect cars other than 85s. Mine in particular. There are dozens of examples of this in this thread alone.

Reactions: Chaserr and DJRas
I don't know what you are referring to in regards to newer cars having charging limits in place--they don't. These charging limits are being applied to older packs only. The new cars charge even faster than my older car's original charging limits.
I was under the impression that the Supercharging slowdown and regen nerfs applies to ALL Models S/X including Ravens (albeit to a lesser extent due to the 100 kWh packs having a 16% greater cell count), and voltage capping was applied only to older batteries with Condition Z.

Not the first time I have been mistaken, and probably not the last either.

Are you sure chargegate affects all pre facelift cars? And I’m sure we do know that batterygate does affect cars other than 85s. Mine in particular. There are dozens of examples of this in this thread alone.

It certainly seems that way. 70D suffers much slower speeds than before. Only ones that wouldn’t have been affected are those that had reduced speeds to begin with.

I've been hanging out a while now, hoping Tesla would do the right thing and either remove the cap on our 2015 S-70D, or step up, and replace the battery. (We received a $17,500 quote for a new battery. That does *not* include installation.) Meanwhile, Tesla Stock is up over $420, or more than doubled from the low in 2019. I have added my complaint to the NTSA complaint, but who knows when and if the feds will take any action on that?

Question: is it now time to start a PR / Social Media campaign to get action? If so, what hashtag shall we use?

Pros: It could push Tesla into actually fixing the problem, or removing the caps.

Cons: The negative publicity on battery problems could severely impact Tesla sales, impeding their financial ability to fix the problem. It could also reduce the resale value of our cars, and possibly increase insurance rates.

For Hashtages, thoughts on: #TeslaBadBatteries; #TeslaBatteryIssues; #TeslaBatterySpontaneousCombustion (a little long for a tag!); #TeslaPerformanceRestrictions; #TeslaBatteryGate; #TeslaBatteryDanger; #TeslaBatteryProblems; #TeslaChargingProblems; OR??

That does *not* include installation
Well at least Elon will have a hard time justifying a high price for what they advertised as a 90 second total repair time.

Hashtag #TeslaUnreliable or something. Make them prove reliability, right now everything they have done says to me they are not reliable and they don't want to be. They are so unreliable they can't afford to maintain their warranties as required by law! Failures don't define a company; all companies experience failures. What defines them is how they handle those failures. Tesla is working hard to define itself as a company that will not fix warranty problems, and that could be a problem to future buyers. This is the worst possible reliability rating a car can get - unreliable cars are ones you avoid out of warranty but Tesla is so unreliable they should be avoided even while still in warranty! That is an industry first.

Last edited:
It gets worse. Just found yet another way Tesla has downloaded and limited my car. Tesla changed the charging behavior when the battery is cold.

Here is how it used to work: when the battery was very cold, the coolant heater would start to warm up the battery. Once the battery temperature was a little over 0 C it would slowly start to charge. At the temperature increases the charge power would, too. At 8 C the car would charge at 10 kW and the battery heater switched off.

Now the car starts the same way by turning on the battery heater. But the car will not start charging at all until the battery has reached 8 C. Once it has reached that temperature the battery heater turns off and the car starts charging at full 10 kW. I did this test starting with a battery temperature of 2 C and it took 30-40 minutes before it started to charge.

In how many ways does Tesla want to downgrade our cars? This is getting ridiculous.

It gets worse. Just found yet another way Tesla has downloaded and limited my car. Tesla changed the charging behavior when the battery is cold.

Here is how it used to work: when the battery was very cold, the coolant heater would start to warm up the battery. Once the battery temperature was a little over 0 C it would slowly start to charge. At the temperature increases the charge power would, too. At 8 C the car would charge at 10 kW and the battery heater switched off.

Now the car starts the same way by turning on the battery heater. But the car will not start charging at all until the battery has reached 8 C. Once it has reached that temperature the battery heater turns off and the car starts charging at full 10 kW. I did this test starting with a battery temperature of 2 C and it took 30-40 minutes before it started to charge.

In how many ways does Tesla want to downgrade our cars? This is getting ridiculous.

Is this with the supercharging, AC charging or both?

I've been hanging out a while now, hoping Tesla would do the right thing and either remove the cap on our 2015 S-70D, or step up, and replace the battery. (We received a $17,500 quote for a new battery. That does *not* include installation.) Meanwhile, Tesla Stock is up over $420, or more than doubled from the low in 2019. I have added my complaint to the NTSA complaint, but who knows when and if the feds will take any action on that?

Question: is it now time to start a PR / Social Media campaign to get action? If so, what hashtag shall we use?

Pros: It could push Tesla into actually fixing the problem, or removing the caps.

Cons: The negative publicity on battery problems could severely impact Tesla sales, impeding their financial ability to fix the problem. It could also reduce the resale value of our cars, and possibly increase insurance rates.

For Hashtages, thoughts on: #TeslaBadBatteries; #TeslaBatteryIssues; #TeslaBatterySpontaneousCombustion (a little long for a tag!); #TeslaPerformanceRestrictions; #TeslaBatteryGate; #TeslaBatteryDanger; #TeslaBatteryProblems; #TeslaChargingProblems; OR??
Tesla will survive. Remember they voluntarily paid 20 million for an SEC fine. Maybe start a petition. It may not get anywhere but it will give us an idea on how many Teslas are effected

Here's some food for thought...how many defective older battery packs could Tesla have replaced with the $40 million fine they and Elon casually paid over a single tweet? The answer? At least 2,000. Just illustrating how doing the right thing here would be a relative drop in the bucket for Tesla that is trading (today) at $430, compared to the loyalty earned by their earliest supporters.

At this point IDGAF about what happens to Tesla. They have burned me. I can use this car as a paper weight that will play free music for all I care.