Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I know I am capped...getting great Regen at 100% SOC

Note this was after a Supercharge from 20 to 100percent (took 1h30 for me) and battery well balanced.

Attachments

• IMG_6440.jpg
    IMG_6440.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 84
Does anyone know what the latest status of the class action suit is and NHTSA?
Or is this going to be so long that we’d be onto our next car by then...so damn angry.

The class action suit is in mediation right now, which I think is scheduled to be completed by the end of February. If a resolution isn't reached in mediation I would expect it to be a year or two for it to work it's way through the court system.

As far as NHTSA I wouldn't expect a result from them for another year or more. (They don't move fast.) Though maybe we will hear something sooner since they haven't started an actual investigation they are just gathering information to see if an investigation is warranted or not. I would think we would know in ~6 months if they decide to grant the petition for an investigation or if they deny it.

I love my P85DL+ (plus suspension) with Recaro seats. I baby it, don’t even drive it in the rain, Xpel full front, ceramic pro entire body.

Drives like a dream!

I have been a Tesla company and mission evangelic since inception.

Giving Ludicrous, face melting rides at every chance to demonstrate the superiority of the electric power train!

I got 4 of my friends of the hype and they bought performance Tesla models.

Imagine my sorrow when I found out that Tesla violated (voltage capped) my baby in the safety of my garage via an OTA “update”

I am an EE, so the damage was only compounded when I received a steaming pile of an explanation from the service center “Electrical expert” who could not even grasp that limiting voltage has a effect on performance/peak output of the car, not just range.

I am your target market Tesla, millennial with disposable income, and you are blowing it. My entire network and their networks network will soon find out of this theft and we will (hopefully) be alive for decades to come.

I am going to the MB dealership today- S coupe can be had for less than what I paid to Tesla for this subpar ownership experience.

I am sad about this outcome. I love the car, but the lying and deceitful behavior from the manufacturer is simply unacceptable.

I couldn't buy an ICE again, having bought an EV. Let me say though, with the same experience of being voltage capped and charge rate limited with no direct communication from Tesla, my mind is now open to different brands of EVs in the future. I could never go back to an ICE, particularly something like an S coupe here in Australia where it costs double the cost of a Tesla

I couldn't buy an ICE again, having bought an EV. Let me say though, with the same experience of being voltage capped and charge rate limited with no direct communication from Tesla, my mind is now open to different brands of EVs in the future. I could never go back to an ICE, particularly something like an S coupe here in Australia where it costs double the cost of a Tesla
Same. Right now I'm just biding my time and dealing with the nightmare customer service until someone comes out with something even 80% as good as the Model S but takes important things like customer care serious. I'd even pay more for less car as long as I could walk into a local service center and talk to a human being that treated me like it mattered.

The sad part is that what soured me to the Tesla experience is 100% within Tesla's control if they cared. At this point I've gone from drinking the Tesla Kool-aid and being all-in for life to feeling more like it's an unhealthy relationship the benefits nobody and I avoid needing to talk to them to keep my sanity & I'm only in for the kids. Once they go off to college though....

We've owned four Audi cars in the past that we really liked so it wouldn't be a difficult thing for me to go back so long as they build something like that in an EV that at least comes close to what Tesla offers in their 5-year-old cars. I won't ever buy an ICE vehicle again though & all other current EV offerings are junk by comparison so until that happens it's Tesla for me unfortunately.

We've owned four Audi cars in the past that we really liked so it wouldn't be a difficult thing for me to go back so long as they build something like that in an EV that at least comes close to what Tesla offers in their 5-year-old cars. I won't ever buy an ICE vehicle again though & all other current EV offerings are junk by comparison so until that happens it's Tesla for me unfortunately.
The Audi E Tron Gt is an EV, it will be released in a couple of years

Reactions: What Gas
Same. Right now I'm just biding my time and dealing with the nightmare customer service until someone comes out with something even 80% as good as the Model S but takes important things like customer care serious. I'd even pay more for less car as long as I could walk into a local service center and talk to a human being that treated me like it mattered.

The sad part is that what soured me to the Tesla experience is 100% within Tesla's control if they cared. At this point I've gone from drinking the Tesla Kool-aid and being all-in for life to feeling more like it's an unhealthy relationship the benefits nobody and I avoid needing to talk to them to keep my sanity & I'm only in for the kids. Once they go off to college though....

Any of your Tesla cars voltage capped or charge capped?

I love my P85DL+ (plus suspension) with Recaro seats. I baby it, don’t even drive it in the rain, Xpel full front, ceramic pro entire body.

Drives like a dream!

I have been a Tesla company and mission evangelic since inception.

Giving Ludicrous, face melting rides at every chance to demonstrate the superiority of the electric power train!

I got 4 of my friends of the hype and they bought performance Tesla models.

Imagine my sorrow when I found out that Tesla violated (voltage capped) my baby in the safety of my garage via an OTA “update”

I am an EE, so the damage was only compounded when I received a steaming pile of an explanation from the service center “Electrical expert” who could not even grasp that limiting voltage has a effect on performance/peak output of the car, not just range.

I am your target market Tesla, millennial with disposable income, and you are blowing it. My entire network and their networks network will soon find out of this theft and we will (hopefully) be alive for decades to come.

I am going to the MB dealership today- S coupe can be had for less than what I paid to Tesla for this subpar ownership experience.

I am sad about this outcome. I love the car, but the lying and deceitful behavior from the manufacturer is simply unacceptable.

Would you describe how much you have been capped? I do not see you on the tracker.

The Audi E Tron Gt is an EV, it will be released in a couple of years

I know it's an EV but we'll see if it hits the 80% mark I mentioned. So far all of these other "Tesla killers" have missed the mark horribly so I'm not holding my breath. I hope they do though because I'm over this little Tesla experiment and their horrid customer service. I guess it's easy to be successful for at least a short period when you freely admit you're poised to fail at any moment so long as you push your competitors forward even slightly. I guess we really shouldn't be surprised when that's been the plan all along.

We're really getting off on a tangent though now.

Reactions: Droschke
Any of your Tesla cars voltage capped or charge capped?
I have no #'s to assign to it like everyone else on those two things and I'm still bitter just with everything else. I can't imagine that if I took the time to pour over those #'s on my cars I'd be that much happier. I'm already fed up enough with Tesla's poor customer service (or complete lack thereof) to be done with them.

What I can tell you without any data to back it up is that our road trips have taken MUCH longer over the last few months than previously due to what feels like slower and longer charge sessions. I was happy to hear that they were increasing the peak charge rates on even the older cars but ultimately it seems like the peak speeds don't last as long and it tapers down much much faster for longer sustained charges and slower charge stops overall.

Again, I don't have data to back this up but it sounds like a lot of others do on this forum and other websites. The 0-60 times on these things are so savage that a tenth or two doesn't affect my joy so I'm not too worried about that personally. 2.9, 3.2... whatever. It's still all faster than anything else I've owned by a rather large margin. The increased charge times are noticeable though.

Would you describe how much you have been capped?
Would you describe how much you have been capped? I do not see you on the tracker.

Apologies, I was not aware of the trackers existence. Prior to Software update (May 2019) I was at 249 rated miles- 100% charge @ 49k miles, 4.2V vMax per cell.

Post software version 2019.16.x it dropped to 217 rated mikes at 100%, 4.09V vMax per cell

crept up to 220 rated miles @ 100% 4.1V vMax per cell.

I have no #'s to assign to it like everyone else on those two things and I'm still bitter just with everything else. I can't imagine that if I took the time to pour over those #'s on my cars I'd be that much happier. I'm already fed up enough with Tesla's poor customer service (or complete lack thereof) to be done with them.

What I can tell you without any data to back it up is that our road trips have taken MUCH longer over the last few months than previously due to what feels like slower and longer charge sessions. I was happy to hear that they were increasing the peak charge rates on even the older cars but ultimately it seems like the peak speeds don't last as long and it tapers down much much faster for longer sustained charges and slower charge stops overall.

Again, I don't have data to back this up but it sounds like a lot of others do on this forum and other websites. The 0-60 times on these things are so savage that a tenth or two doesn't affect my joy so I'm not too worried about that personally. 2.9, 3.2... whatever. It's still all faster than anything else I've owned by a rather large margin. The increased charge times are noticeable though.

Sure you can notice. For instance, I'm voltage capped (the Batterygate) which resulted in a sudden 30 RM but currently at negative 20 RM. I'm also impacted by the Chargegate which means charging from 40% SoC gets me only 37kW and decreases to mid 20kW when approaching 80% SoC. That pitiful. I'm interested if you are experiencing similar downgrades with you cars. Just curiosity and to add more data points to this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sure you can notice. For instance, I'm voltage capped (the Batterygate) which resulted in a sudden 30 RM but currently at negative 20 RM. I'm also impacted by the Chargegate which means charging from 40% S0C gets me only 37kW and decreases to mid 20kW when I approaching 80% S0C. That pitiful. I'm interested if you are experiencing similar downgrades with you cars. Just curiosity to add more data points to this thread.

Thanks.
Honestly, to this point at least, I've done to avoid the desire to track that stuff so closely. That's kind of shocking for me because it goes against my typical nature. I just drive the things and enjoy them until something breaks and I have to deal with the customer service nightmare. I'm probably more the typical customer who notices big things, ignores small things and just wants it to work and expects it to work. I would say that I wish I had data to support how the cars "feel" to us now but I'd be lying because I'm not trying to go down that path right now due to the level of frustration I already have without that data to support it.

Apologies, I was not aware of the trackers existence. Prior to Software update (May 2019) I was at 249 rated miles- 100% charge @ 49k miles, 4.2V vMax per cell.

Post software version 2019.16.x it dropped to 217 rated mikes at 100%, 4.09V vMax per cell

crept up to 220 rated miles @ 100% 4.1V vMax per cell.

Thanks for the detail. It's very helpful to this thread.

If you search in Post#1 of this thread for the word tracker you would find the link.

Reactions: DJRas