Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S60 only had 2 fewer modules than S85 - did the modules really weigh 150 pounds each? And earlier S60s supposedly had dummy modules added for weight so they drove the same as other Teslas.

Editing because I looked it up. 85-type | Battery Modules | Products | HSR Motors Wk057's store says they weigh 58 pounds each. The difference between a 60 and an 85 is a small adult passenger or 2 children in the third row (if the old rumors of ballasted 60 packs are false)

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
S60 only had 2 fewer modules than S85 - did the modules really weigh 150 pounds each? And earlier S60s supposedly had dummy modules added for weight so they drove the same as other Teslas.

Editing because I looked it up. 85-type | Battery Modules | Products | HSR Motors Wk057's store says they weigh 58 pounds each. The difference between a 60 and an 85 is a small adult passenger or 2 children in the third row (if the old rumors of ballasted 60 packs are false)

I don't recall the 60s having dummy modules, but they did use dummy cells to fill the holes in the 14 modules so the weight lose was spread out evenly. (They made the Model S 70 by just filling in the dummy cells with real cells but staying at 14 modules.)

85 kWh modules weigh ~58 pounds each (from Jason Hughes). 16 of them plus the structure they are mounted in and the coolant add a few hundred pounds (Wikipedia says the whole 85 pack wheigh 1200 pounds)

Yes, $14,800 for the 90KWH battery (part 1102980-01-A), $15,097 with other parts, $370 labor, total cost w/tax $16,638.
@jread Is that price - and thus option to upgrade from 85 to 90 kWh battery - available to anyone? Sorry, but I just found this thread and didn’t go back and read the 9k+ posts. I’m simply wanting to know my potential out-of-pocket cost for an upgrade, if needed or wanted. I’m assuming that price requires your old battery (core swap) exchanged? And it’s likely more for a P90? You may not have the answer, but if anyone else has facts/quotes from Tesla, I’d welcome any input. Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
I don't know what you are referring to in regards to newer cars having charging limits in place--they don't. These charging limits are being applied to older packs only. The new cars charge even faster than my older car's original charging limits.
I have an S75, purchased in September 2018. I have 13K miles on it now. My battery capacity was cut by about 10% in the September-October 2019 time frame. Recently I have had intermittent capping of regen. When the regen is capped I run at about 350 wh/mi as opposed to my usual 250 wh/mi. So, what's that all about?

Edit: And I charge at home (32A) 99% of the time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
Yes, $14,800 for the 90KWH battery (part 1102980-01-A), $15,097 with other parts, $370 labor, total cost w/tax $16,638. I was told 100% range would be 284 with this pack, but no change to super charging rate.
Interesting there would be no change in the supercharging rate.... It makes me think the batteries were never capable of what tesla wanted out of them...

@jread Is that price - and thus option to upgrade from 85 to 90 kWh battery - available to anyone? Sorry, but I just found this thread and didn’t go back and read the 9k+ posts. I’m simply wanting to know my potential out-of-pocket cost for an upgrade, if needed or wanted. I’m assuming that price requires your old battery (core swap) exchanged? And it’s likely more for a P90? You may not have the answer, but if anyone else has facts/quotes from Tesla, I’d welcome any input. Thanks!
My understanding is that this is the cost to replace the battery - either 85 for 90 since they don't manufacture 85 packs, or 90 for 90, and yes, they do keep the existing pack.

My understanding is that this is the cost to replace the battery - either 85 for 90 since they don't manufacture 85 packs, or 90 for 90, and yes, they do keep the existing pack.

In many states if you pay for a part, you are entitled to your old parts back if requested. Tesla should give some type of credit reduction on the price of the replacement pack if you are paying, if the pack is under warranty then they get to keep the pack.

Ferrycraigs, I wonder if you have lowballed the number of cars with batterygate. Only a small fraction of owners post on this thread, or have taken the time to complete the tally sheet linked on page 1. I have spoken with two owners of old S85s, and they were not aware of any range reduction because they only drive out of town once or twice per year on relatively short jaunts. They do not examine carefully their range meter on the instrument binnacle because their routine drives do not warrant the need.

I suspect that this issue is more widespread. But owner ignorance or inattention could easily contribute to a larger set of affected cars. Moreover, there may be vehicles like mine that will have reduced range kick in after a period of time.

o0o
It strikes me as curious that Tesla has developed and promoted the version 3 Supercharger with its "up to 250kW" of charging power that the Model 3 and forthcoming Model Y can use. Will these batteries fail too after prolonged usage, but fail only after the four-year warranty has elapsed? How can the Tesla semi be good for over a million miles if the putative Megacharger to refill those batteries will ultimately cripple those batteries after a few years so that their range drops by 15-20%? Those long-haul truckers ain't gonna be a happy lot if that were to occur, or if Megacharging takes 90 minutes instead of 50. The Model 3 batteries are too new and have not had the extensive trials that the original S85 batteries have had over the past six to seven years. That chemistry may wind up like the chemistry in the 18650s. It is too early to tell.

There is a lot riding on the future of Tesla Motors and its innovative batteries, battery managements systems, and Supercharging speeds. I wonder if the camel has gotten its nose into the tent.
CPA I don't dispute any of your comments, actually I strongly agree with them. I am very happy for my batterygate estimate to be challenged. My estimate really is very basic stuff, although based on a poll of 5000 owners, but with absolutely no guarantee that all owners saw it, or that those that saw it responded, or that those affected were aware they may be affected. Whilst my estimate is better than being based on nothing, it falls miles short of being reliable. So it’s definitely an estimate, and very likely on the low side. Perhaps low single figure percentage of the entire fleet may be closer. But of course closer could be the same as the earth is closer to the sun than Mars.

In many states if you pay for a part, you are entitled to your old parts back if requested. Tesla should give some type of credit reduction on the price of the replacement pack if you are paying, if the pack is under warranty then they get to keep the pack.

The last person I recall that asked to keep their pack was told the core charge was ~$15k, which makes sense because you can sell the individual modules on the open market for ~$1,000/each.