Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are twisting my words.

An unneeded degradation would be if there was another way of charging equally fast with less degradation?
The BMS assumed a higher remaining capacity than actual remaining capacity.
Possibilities are many:
- Degradation from High Current charging likely under estimated
- Constantly cycling at high SoC and never resting at low (to recoverable capacity) perhaps was not programmed in?
. . . . .

Or, even a faulty BMS that ignored certain external charging variables that directly affected the efficacy of our battery cells after usage and time.

2015 85D 125k miles. Battery capped and charging throttled. Good God it's borderline unusable for any trip requiring a supercharge session.

Pulled up at 37%. Battery fully warm (90 min drive to here). Outside temp 60 degrees F. No shared charger. Maxed out at 62kw, and started to fall quickly. Now at 75% and 36kw.

Just horrid.

Yes, I have noticed that the approximate charging speeds in kW plus the SOC sums to ~100 until the SOC reaches about 65-70%, then it slowly increases to about 110. In those good old days of yesteryear, at lower SOC, the total was closer to 120. I have also noted that the kilowatts fluctuate continuously. Previously, it would have a gradual taper but the rate stayed constant as it tapered. Nowadays, the kilowatts will go from 68, 67, 66, 68, 67, 66, 67, 66, 65, 66, 67, 65, 64 almost every 4-5 seconds.

How do we know its not both to prevent fires and reduce wear on a worn out pack to get past the warranty period?
I didn't say it wasn't/couldn't be, just that we can't definitively assert that chargegate was done to prevent fires, that's all. No one but Tesla knows why they did it. Anything anyone says here is pure speculation/hearsay.

Could someone pull the fuse to the MCU and try supercharging?

My MCU died a few weeks ago and I swear the car was faster and actually charged to 100% instead of 92-95%

I'm wondering if when the MCU is dead the car will pull the config from stock.
Car won’t charge or run with unplugged MCU. MCU 1 cars will run with a dead Emmc, and do what you describe.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
I didn't say it wasn't/couldn't be, just that we can't definitively assert that chargegate was done to prevent fires, that's all. No one but Tesla knows why they did it. Anything anyone says here is pure speculation/hearsay.

Tesla Updates Model S/X Battery Software Following Fire Incidents

“As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity.”

Tesla Updates Model S/X Battery Software Following Fire Incidents

“As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles via an over-the-air software update that will begin rolling out today, to help further protect the battery and improve battery longevity.”
That press release is intentionally vague. What charge settings? It could be Vmax, peak current, charge curve (current vs SoC), etc. "Improve battery longevity" could just mean pushing failures past the 8 year warranty, not specifically for fire prevention. We don't know, and they aren't talking.

Yup, I think that press release was just accidentally released after the fire incidents ;)
Right, and Tesla has never put more than one bugfix in a firmware release, that press release includes a detailed list of every charge-related change and the reason for its inclusion, and this thread has no speculation of conjecture at all.

;) back atcha! :)

Car won’t charge or run with unplugged MCU. MCU 1 cars will run with a dead Emmc, and do what you describe.
If that's right, it will run without the tegra 3 board installed but the rest of the MCU still needs to be plugged in.

Cars with free Supercharging can apparently still supercharge with a dead tegra board.

I wonder what would happen if someone was to restart the MCU right before charging.

• Informative
Reactions: First EV
If that's right, it will run without the tegra 3 board installed but the rest of the MCU still needs to be plugged in.

Cars with free Supercharging can apparently still supercharge with a dead tegra board.

I wonder what would happen if someone was to restart the MCU right before charging.
I have done it myself, not here say. Car would run without the Tegra board, but wouldn’t charge, so it was not usable. With the board in, and dead emmc, it would charge and drive, but no heat, AC etc.

Regen has been a total psychopath for me lately. None at all @ 50F. A little at 40. None at 35. Partial at 65. Full at 45. Just all over the place.

Sounds about right. Seems to be mostly dependent on whether the battery is warm and SOC, but then i get a curve ball like last weekend.
That in addition to HVAC behaving very erratically (eg. outside is 40s, set heat to 72F and auto, it warms up the car fine, after 20-30mins, starts to blow cold air without anyone in the car being hot, and continues to blow cold air to the point where everyone gets cold)
Had SC check the car, and they said it's all good. I'll ask them to ride with me next time for half an hour.

I'm the owner of a pre-face lift Model S 70D 2016.

When i gave my car to Tesla service center and after they updated to the newest software back in May-June of 2019 i lost 30KM (19mi)

I've been chasing them for all these months and i havent heard a single ans from their engineers about this, they keep giving me the crap that it's "NORMAL" battery degen & it has happened due to my driving style. (it's bloody pissing off)

Is there any way at all to get back the missing 30KM in my car?

Reactions: Guy V and First EV

When i gave my car to Tesla service center and after they updated to the newest software back in May-June of 2019 i lost 30KM (19mi)

I've been chasing them for all these months and i havent heard a single ans from their engineers about this, they keep giving me the crap that it's "NORMAL" battery degen & it has happened due to my driving style. (it's bloody pissing off)

Sue them... seems to be the only way. That is what I will do. If you are in the US, file a complaint on NHTSA (see link couple of pages above) and join the class action lawsuit

When my eMMC chip failed, the MCU stopped working completely. Nothing that was controlled via the MCU worked. The car certainly wouldn't Charge on AC. But many owners told me it should still be able to charge on DC which apparently bypasses the MCU, ie from a Supercharger. I did not have time to test this out.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke

same care here. lost 26 miles. Had a discussion with service adviser and tech last week. They said they'll discuss with the manager on what to do next and i should hear this week. Interestingly, neither argued the usual stuff about range, style of driving, etc. and also seemed genuinely surprised by what i said. Maybe this time, they'll actually do something.