Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates? Any idea how long this class action is going to drag out?

Have you followed any class action suits before? For example the Experian data breach one from 2018, for which they "settled", still hasn't paid anything out. Or the 2013 StarKist class action that was "settled" in 2015, but they didn't send out the checks/coupons until late 2019. (So over 6 years for that one to complete.) BTW that one started as $50 worth of coupons but ended up being ~$5.

A class action suit is the farthest thing from a quick fix.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Matias
Have you followed any class action suits before? For example the Experian data breach one from 2018, for which they "settled", still hasn't paid anything out. Or the 2013 StarKist class action that was "settled" in 2015, but they didn't send out the checks/coupons until late 2019. (So over 6 years for that one to complete.) BTW that one started as $50 worth of coupons but ended up being ~$5.

A class action suit is the farthest thing from a quick fix.
That's ok. We just want to see Tesla lose

This isn't going to take long. The class action probably won't be extended enough to risk NHTSA making its announcements first since Tesla loses most of it's bargaining power once federal safety laws are invoked, and NHTSA action is probably going to be public in 2020.

We want to see Tesla win. It has been trying to lose and needed our help to stop being such a loser. Making this right us as big a win for Tesla as it is for us. Tesla's were supposed to be the safest cars with the best warranty on the planet. Winning reaffirms that, their efforts to lose make those claims fraudulent and we want them to win again.

This isn't going to take long. The class action probably won't be extended enough to risk NHTSA making its announcements first since Tesla loses most of it's bargaining power once federal safety laws are invoked, and NHTSA action is probably going to be public in 2020.

We want to see Tesla win. It has been trying to lose and needed our help to stop being such a loser. Making this right us as big a win for Tesla as it is for us. Tesla's were supposed to be the safest cars with the best warranty on the planet. Winning reaffirms that, their efforts to lose make those claims fraudulent and we want them to win again.

It is ironic that by Tesla 'losing' everyone stands to win although Tesla isn't likely to see it that way yet! Most corporate policies end up being determined in a corporate / shareholder echo chamber where important truths and realities get shut out.

I don't think many if any would argue against 'that Tesla wouldn't be where it is today without a very loyal and somewhat visionary customer base, not only prepared to buy and invest but also put personal reputations on the line to support Tesla's product (as well as get some personal benefits too!)'

While newcomers are still revelling in honeymoon ownership (at least most), it can only be those who knew and bought the original vision who can (and imo must) hold Tesla to the standards they set themselves.

Last edited:
No Class Action lawsuit, this (extracted word by word from a Service Center Work Order) is what you would have continued to receive from Tesla regarding your capped battery till you sold the car, never bought another Tesla and recommended against purchase when talking with potential buyers:
  • You can maximize your driving range using the same driving habits that you use to conserve fuel in a gasoline-powered vehicle.
  • In addition to driving habits, energy consumption depends on environmental conditions (such as exceptionally cold or hot weather and driving on roads with steep hills).
  • To get the maximum mileage from a charge: Slow down your driving and avoid frequent and rapid acceleration.
  • If safe to do so, modulate the accelerator pedal instead of using the brake pedal when gradually slowing down.
  • Whenever your Tesla is moving and you are not pressing the accelerator pedal,regenerative braking slows down and feeds surplus energy back to the Battery. Keep tires at the recommended inflation pressures.
  • Lighten your load by removing any unnecessary cargo.
  • Fully raise all windows.
  • Limit the use of resources such as heating and air conditioning.
  • Using seat heaters to keep warm is more efficient than heating the cabin.
  • The power meter on the touchscreen provides feedback on energy usage.
  • With this feedback, you will soon become familiar with how driving habits and environmental conditions impact how much energy your Tesla is using.

I don't. If they do the right thing, then everyone will win including Tesla.
Nope. Tesla does not want to do the right thing. If they did, they would not be doing this for 1.5 years now. I am not bargaining what is already mine and that someone has temporarily stolen from me. I want it back, so that I can raise the middle finger and then see them pay.

For one, I am exposing them to everyone who is asking for feedback, making sure they stay away. Have been doing it for quite some time now and will continue doing it for as long as I live.
No more $ for these guys. Never.
Fix, sale and black list

Sorry to post this mid thread but I couldn't quite figure out from scrolling exactly what the summary is here?

I don't supercharge much, so I have no clue on the charging rate has been in 2020. I only topped off my battery for 10-15 minutes during the pandemic at a supercharger or two.

I did notice my battery's range drop a lot though. Has this calculation changed also?

Early on there was a 3rd party person surveying owners on their range. Is anyone tabulating this these days?

Don't the original plaintiffs get a different settlement, while the rest of the class gets less? I don't know how this stuff works, but I've read that the original plaintiffs tend to get what they want while the rest of the class gets the "settlement". Maybe this is wrong?

What if multiple owners file their own lawsuits across the country? Hit Tesla with a bunch of suits. The original plaintiffs in this suit are going to settle this suit according to what is acceptable to them, not necessarily you and me.

Reactions: gmo43
Don't the original plaintiffs get a different settlement, while the rest of the class gets less? I don't know how this stuff works, but I've read that the original plaintiffs tend to get what they want while the rest of the class gets the "settlement". Maybe this is wrong?

What if multiple owners file their own lawsuits across the country? Hit Tesla with a bunch of suits. The original plaintiffs in this suit are going to settle this suit according to what is acceptable to them, not necessarily you and me.

I've no idea, but don't you get chance to be excluded from the class? If so, does that leave you open to bring your own case?

Or the other way around, if you bring your own case, are you excluded from the class action?

And in the US are actions different between states or is this national?

IMO exposing Tesla's practice via high profile Youtubers, Facebook and Twitter is the way to go. But besides the Bjorn Nyland channel, which other channel under Tesla's radar showed legitimate concern about it?

- Ride the Lightning?
- Jay Leno?
- MKBHD?
- Solving The Money Problem?
- Sandy Munro?
- Doug DeMuro?
- James May, Jeremy Clarckson or Richar Hammond used to bash Tesla and now publish either pro-Tesla or just plain silly videos about themselves and their Teslas?

None!

I'm sure some of them couldn't worry less about loosing some Tesla fan subscribers as EVs aren't their main focus.

Are they all dismissing rangegate/batterygate/chargegate reports? Ignorance? What prevents them from exposing Instead of trying to catch Tesla, maybe the strategy should be exposing this practice (other manufacturers will follow, I'm sure). I don't want to hurt EVs adoption or Tesla's success, I simply cannot accept certain business practices where it seems that profit comes above all principles.

Sorry to post this mid thread but I couldn't quite figure out from scrolling exactly what the summary is here?

I don't supercharge much, so I have no clue on the charging rate has been in 2020. I only topped off my battery for 10-15 minutes during the pandemic at a supercharger or two.

I did notice my battery's range drop a lot though. Has this calculation changed also?

Early on there was a 3rd party person surveying owners on their range. Is anyone tabulating this these days?

Have you read Post#1 of this thread?

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and P85_DA