Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are a small group of tesla owners affected vs total teslas produced so far. I assume for the most part we paid significantly more for our model s than the current diehard model 3 fans did. I also assume model s buyers didn't have to do the tesla stretch a lot of model 3 buyers are doing. Yet we are very upset and many of us had 2nd or 3rd vehicles as backup options.
Imagine how upset the model 3 owners will be when their "million mile designed" teslas start to cost more to maintain than the camerys and civics they replaced.

Tesla must think we are really stupid. Basic US contract law: Terms are set in stone on the date the agreement was made (Purchase Date). Any modifications MUST be ratified by BOTH parties involved and cannot be one sided.

yep. hard part for some is what the "terms set in stone" actually say vs what they wish they said.

Tesla may be dishonest but they aren't stupid.

Sadly, dishonesty and stupidity are not mutually exclusive.

cost more to maintain than the camerys and civics

The cost of ownership model for EV's is obviously very different and it will take years for different models to be tried and tested in quite a volatile space. We all want to believe we can have our cake and eat it. Trouble comes when manufactures take blatent advantage of the situation.

Battery rental doesn't really appeal and causes complication even though it could make sense to slap a big core charge on batteries and have batteries slightly separate from cars. Still messy though. Until batteries habitually outlast vehicles there will be debate, and due to potentially high residual battery value, recognising and tracking it is likely to remain an issue.

You're assuming Tesla hasn't made improvements based off their past experience. Tesla may be dishonest but they aren't stupid.
I know they have made improvements. But will they be enough? It don't think so otherwise why reduce the warranty. Keep it the same or increase it to show confidence in their product. Why intriduce warranty clauses that list performance reductions via ota as not covered if they had enough confidence from improvements? Instead that gives the appearance at least to me that they have less confidence perhaps due to lessons learned. Why not just replace the few batteries in model s cars that are bad? Except it would set a costly to them example of what to expect.

Did they put that in writing? because rated uses EPA values whose estimates can't be whimsically adjusted without federal permission. Showing evidence of them admitting they pulled a dieselgate on us is a guaranteed way to make them stop. VW had to buy back the cars they took range away.
Not to mention commit to build out a multi-billion dollar EV charging network/ ;)

About to kiss 8.1 goodbye this week. Will be getting MCU2 before I hit 100,000 miles on my 2016 MS90D, as I want the discount from the emmc issue recall ($500-$700 discount) which expires at 100,000 miles (Currently at 99,925). My nice sustained 94kW charge rate will be gone, and I suppose I will need to settle for the small burst of 74kW and a quick drop off, and doubled/tripled/quadrupled supercharging times as my Model X has now gotten :-(

WK057, I will definitely buy what your selling once Battery Warranty is up to get my Supercharging Speeds back!

Will be getting MCU2 before I hit 100,000 miles on my 2016 MS90D, as I want the discount from the emmc issue recall ($500-$700 discount) which expires at 100,000 miles (Currently at 99,925).

@islandbayy are you sure they are offering that discount now? My understanding is that discount will only be offered to people who paid for the upgrade while under warranty with a Tesla confirmed eMMC failure diagnosis, before the warranty adjustment program was announced. (i.e. nobody gets the discount now.)

@islandbayy are you sure they are offering that discount now? My understanding is that discount will only be offered to people who paid for the upgrade while under warranty with a Tesla confirmed eMMC failure diagnosis, before the warranty adjustment program was announced. (i.e. nobody gets the discount now.)
My friend just got the upgrade, he got $700 off tog o to MCU2, that was about 1 1/2 weeks ago. But it must have some sort of pending failure. In my case, My MCU completely locked up last year, complete freeze up, would reboot back into a locked up state. Car was free rolling, no power windows, brakes, headlights were stuck on, no powered doors, or trunk, it was a nightmare getting my disabled son out of the back seat, as I couldn't even reach around and open the door by grabbing the handle, had to dig through the carpet to find the emergency manual release. Car was towed to Highland Park, and it "Self Corrected" (What I was told) after sitting overnight as they couldn't get back in the car as door handles would not work from the outside either. General consensus by the local service center is once I go through several updates, the latest one will most likely give me the emmc warning to have it serviced.

Does this sound right concerning the "Pre-conditioning your battery for optimum Supercharging"?

Yesterday I took a drive down to the Traver Supercharger. I dialed into the navigation this destination immediately upon departure. This location is about 38 miles from our home, so about a 45-minute drive. About 10 miles from Traver the display showed the little lightning bolt with the attendant notice about Supercharging.

Sure enough, when I arrived and plugged in with 12%, the initial rate was 97kW. Outside temperature was 45 degrees. The sum of the SOC + rate was 109, near enough the 110 "ideal."

Within five minutes, the rate dropped to 82kW at 18% (100) followed shortly thereafter to ~72kW at 22-24% (94-96.) Empirically, once the charging commences, any battery heating ceases. Therefore, the ambient temperature reduces the battery temperature faster than any resistance heating from the stream of electrons can elevate the temperature. (I'm not an EE, so please excuse my sophistry if I am wrong or use improper terms.)

I infer that with the newer cars that can utilize up to 250kW of power, that the resistance heating is adequate to sustain a much faster charge longer and can recharge the battery in cold weather much more quickly. But the old batteries that cannot charge at those speeds really gain only a transitory benefit for a couple of minutes before dropping down into lower speeds.

I guess a quarter loaf is better than none.

I have never, ever been given a preconditioning prior to suc-ing. What's the raindance / voodoo spell you need to incant to do it? Setting a SuC as a destination in maps and navving to it it never does it for me. It's as if this feature is straight up non existent for me (I'm on 2020.36.11 and have been on previous fws with this "feature" for a couple years now)

Empirically, once the charging commences, any battery heating ceases.
No, the battery heater can be on while charging (this is a cold S85 with just a few kilometers to the V3 SuC)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 21.43.38.png

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I have never, ever been given a preconditioning prior to suc-ing. What's the raindance / voodoo spell you need to incant to do it? Setting a SuC as a destination in maps and navving to it it never does it for me. It's as if this feature is straight up non existent for me (I'm on 2020.36.11 and have been on previous fws with this "feature" for a couple years now)

It's very weird, but you need to use the app to see the battery heating in action. No indication on the IC or the 17" display for me either.

I've only seen it happen once or twice. Maybe the car estimates the battery temp on arrival and only turns on the heater is needed?

Well, i have a battery temperature display on my IC, same as what Ludis have. I can say that when I set suc as a destination the temps don't budge during the drive to get there...
I don't get any active messages either at least not on car screens, but I can hear the pump, or what I believe is the pump.

Which reminds me, charged now twice over 80% since a visit to SC, and while pump is on, I don't lose miles/range o_O
SC didn't do anything for this issue, but they did say they updated FW. However, that was on Wed, and I had updated FW to the latest on Saturday before. Since I selected to to be on early releases, I really doubt there was a new FW between Sat and Wed, and unfortunately, this is the only time since #batterygate that I did not take a screenshot of FW version so I do not know if the two are the same. It is hard to believe they reflashed the same FW that i did previously and something got changed. If it is the same, and car is now acting differently, there is a different and bigger issue.

It' just very interesting that I complained specifically about it, and after SC visit, and the issue does not seem to be there any more, yet they haven't even looked at it.
Now, I don't know if there is another shenanigan behind this and what form it might have taken, but it just doesn't seem logical.
one day: pump runs for hours until SOC is below 80% through indicated range
The next day, pump runs just as long, but not change in range o_O

After the car had cold-soaked for several hours around freezing, I set a local supercharger as a destination. Moments after driving off, the "Precondtioning battery for fast charging" notice appeared:

upload_2020-12-11_10-2-38.png