Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then what changed? You've been very adamant against disclosing anything publicly so why the change of heart?

Will save the details for my writeup. But long story short, since the issue is now mitigated in a satisfactory manner, I see no reason to keep the information private any further.

Anyone affected by "Condition X" will have a replacement battery by now (I know of none, but such cars would have shutdown and locked out the battery long ago on any firmware version as far back as 2012).

Anyone affected by "Condition Z" who's actually been installing updates in a timely manner should no longer be affected by "Condition Z" by now, or will very soon no longer be affected (algorithms at work). Any range loss will be normal degradation at this point. (I've seen quite a few posts and other data that confirms this.) Edit: You do also have to actually use your vehicle about an average amount or more for this algorithm to get enough data to implement mitigations.

If you've been an update holdout... well, you're a bit SOL. Even if you update now, it'll take a significant amount of time to calibrate and mitigate (many months).

Again, no safety issue, no fire issue. It's really not that impressive.

(Also, thanks to whatever mod is actually approving my posts here.)

Last edited:
20+ miles loss of range overnight, with none of it has been restored to this date, is not normal degradation.

You also have to actually use the vehicle for the mitigation to complete. It appears to take 20-30 cycles (sum of fractional cycles, not necessarily full 0-100-0) after it starts gathering data, which would be 4-8k miles, depending on standard YMMV factors.

If the 2015-02 delivery and 46k odo stat in your signature are correct, my guess is the ~640 miles/mo avg you do hasn't quite allowed the algorithm to complete yet. (I believe it's been gathering required data since 2020.30-something.) Either that, or it has and you have an unrelated problem. More likely the former.

Last edited:
You also have to actually use the vehicle for the mitigation to complete. It appears to take 20-30 cycles (sum of fractional cycles, not necessarily full 0-100-0) after it starts gathering data, which would be 4-8k miles, depending on standard YMMV factors.

If the 2015-02 delivery and 46k odo stat in your signature are correct, my guess is the ~640 miles/mo avg you do hasn't quite allowed the algorithm to complete yet. (I believe it's been gathering required data since 2020.30-something.) Either that, or it has and you have an unrelated problem. More likely the former.
So is voltage "slowly coming back" to 4.2V at 100% SOC? Even normal degradation would show 4.2V not the 4.1V or around we see in this forum. I know My X75D takes in REGEN (assuming warm weather) at 100% "SOC (I.e the old 90%) so obviously I have been voltage capped.

Thanks for the updated info u have found and posted. However why are the supercharging speeds still 1/2 of what we were getting before 2019.16 if these issues have been mitigated?

Supercharging speed issue is mostly unrelated. There can be some slowdown during the runup to mitigation and pre-mitigation (will explain in my writeup), but afterwards this issue is unrelated.

Supercharging stuff is mostly related to calendar life related functions in the BMS. Honestly, that stuff seems pretty shady to me, but it is unrelated to the range loss stuff.

So is voltage "slowly coming back" to 4.2V at 100% SOC? Even normal degradation would show 4.2V not the 4.1V or around we see in this forum. I know My X75D takes in REGEN (assuming warm weather) at 100% "SOC (I.e the old 90%) so obviously I have been voltage capped.

Depends on your pack, the exact calibrations, and a bunch of other factors. If you were affected by condition Z, you'll have lost a few miles of range to the mitigation implementation in a worst case scenario.

Again, will note details in my writeup, probably Sunday. So keep an eye out for that.

Still on moderation here, but at least the traffic in this thread is low enough right now that my posts aren't getting insta-buried. I doubt that will be the case after my writeup.

Anyone affected by "Condition Z" who's actually been installing updates in a timely manner should no longer be affected by "Condition Z" by now, or will very soon no longer be affected (algorithms at work). Any range loss will be normal degradation at this point. (I've seen quite a few posts and other data that confirms this.) Edit: You do also have to actually use your vehicle about an average amount or more for this algorithm to get enough data to implement mitigations.

If you've been an update holdout... well, you're a bit SOL. Even if you update now, it'll take a significant amount of time to calibrate and mitigate (many months).

Again, no safety issue, no fire issue. It's really not that impressive.

(Also, thanks to whatever mod is actually approving my posts here.)

Bummer! 85D here, holding back on updates since 2020.8.2 because of worsening AP1 (EU legislation induced). now I have to figure out what the abbr. SOL means. Sigh.

well, you're a bit SOL.

Took me some time to understand "SOL", still not 100% sure... at least I'm not the only one:

now I have to figure out what the abbr. SOL means. Sigh.
:D

@wk057

Firstly, I am looking very much forward to a writeup regarding the different possible / actual battery conditions and the mitigation by the BMS! AFAIK from reading your earlier posts in this thread and what I could find in other threads through the search, please correct me if I'm wrong: So far I understood, you are primarily referring to the capacity reduction by reducing the max brick voltage by the BMS. It would be greatly appreciated by myself and I am guessing most of the fellow drivers here, to hear what you can tell us about the reduced charging rates and if these ever will be restored to levels equally to the charging rates at e.g. 2019.12.1.1?

Thanks a million and looking forward to your next insights! Oaito.

Reactions: Gwgan
It would be greatly appreciated by myself and I am guessing most of the fellow drivers here, to hear what you can tell us about the reduced charging rates and if these ever will be restored to levels equally to the charging rates at e.g. 2019.12.1.1?
He addressed that:
Supercharging speed issue is mostly unrelated. There can be some slowdown during the runup to mitigation and pre-mitigation (will explain in my writeup), but afterwards this issue is unrelated.

Supercharging stuff is mostly related to calendar life related functions in the BMS. Honestly, that stuff seems pretty shady to me, but it is unrelated to the range loss stuff.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark and wk057
2013 S P85+ CPO UNTIL MAY 2021 - Believe battery issues started nearly two years ago, at first increased range with ongoing extended noise under car after charging, and now quick loss of charging and "miles." Found this listing and ask following:
1) Is there a member name, a date, or, key page - that I can go to and read a summary of what the current actions are that I should take with Tesla before my time on CPO warranty runs out?
2) Suggestions on the best app, OBD-II adapter and BT interface that download/purchase to track what is and is not going on with my S?
Thanks in advance!

Supercharging stuff is mostly related to calendar life related functions in the BMS. Honestly, that stuff seems pretty shady to me, but it is unrelated

Ok that's interesting to know. I think we need that mod (automotive not forum mods...) you mentioned a while back: a switch that allows us to turn off this SuC limit for the once in a while we need really fast charging.

It seems that SuC limiting began in various forms before batterygate, but many people here got hit with a chargegate hammer about the same time that Tesla decided to cap batteries too. For my part my charging was gimped by more than 50% speed after Tesla forced an update to replace it's badly designed door handles.