Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, something tells me they have been monkeying with the BMS code in the last 2 minor updates...
When I go into the app, tap an charge, then move the slider to 100%, it normally shows a stable number (like 228 miles). Since the last update, the number fluctuates +-10 miles daily, and sometimes several times a day. My 90% charge max is affected as well, stopping at different numbers daily. Also, since the updates, I seem to have 'misplaced' another 8 miles. Is that what they are doing with the delays, pissing with us in the firmware? I asked the SC and they gave me the old 'you must be showing ideal' line of crap again, like I am some kind of noobie. Jeez. I showed them, then it changed to 'it will fluctuate with temperature'. Was not like this before for rated. They didn't even bother pulling the logs to see if there was an error, but advised me I could make an appointment and pay a diagnostic fee. MOST displeased. I guess us founders are nothing to Tesla anymore. :(

Well, something tells me they have been monkeying with the BMS code in the last 2 minor updates...
When I go into the app, tap an charge, then move the slider to 100%, it normally shows a stable number (like 228 miles). Since the last update, the number fluctuates +-10 miles daily, and sometimes several times a day. My 90% charge max is affected as well, stopping at different numbers daily. Also, since the updates, I seem to have 'misplaced' another 8 miles. Is that what they are doing with the delays, pissing with us in the firmware? I asked the SC and they gave me the old 'you must be showing ideal' line of crap again, like I am some kind of noobie. Jeez. I showed them, then it changed to 'it will fluctuate with temperature'. Was not like this before for rated. They didn't even bother pulling the logs to see if there was an error, but advised me I could make an appointment and pay a diagnostic fee. MOST displeased. I guess us founders are nothing to Tesla anymore. :(
That's just weird ... But not something I see observe with my car. Nothing has changed for me since I got capacity capped with 2019.16 over two years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
215945629_10160288172384587_44722683812048897_n.jpg

So this is what the new models are getting. 1044 miles in an hour! I am lucky to get 140 miles in an hour.

That's just weird ... But not something I see observe with my car. Nothing has changed for me since I got capacity capped with 2019.16 over two years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that's still your situation. I've avoided reposting that I got lucky and mine returned to the satisfactory trend of 2 years ago, but I would still very much like Tesla offer a cost-effective out of warranty battery replacement solution. Sooner or later anyone who wants to keep their car very long term, as was suggested as feasible by Tesla from the beginning, will need that. After this 2-year episode I continuously feel my otherwise healthy and well-performing car is living on borrowed time.

I'm sorry to hear that's still your situation. I've avoided reposting that I got lucky and mine returned to the satisfactory trend of 2 years ago, but I would still very much like Tesla offer a cost-effective out of warranty battery replacement solution. Sooner or later anyone who wants to keep their car very long term, as was suggested as feasible by Tesla from the beginning, will need that. After this 2-year episode I continuously feel my otherwise healthy and well-performing car is living on borrowed time.
Thanks Guy. At this point, I'm not sure how many owners are in the same boat as I'm. But I'm very happy for you and others whose taken capacity has been restored.

The parallels between Apple and Tesla are fascinating - Apple took it's time as well to come up with the battery replacement program for iPhones - and today the replacement prices are reasonable and everyone can plan accordingly - I hope and pray Tesla will arrive there sooner than later.

Well I was wrong, it appears that they didn't put the wrong date, it just took a little longer than the expected...

Big news: There is a proposed settlement.

The parties have reached an agreement to settle Plaintiff’s claims regarding Tesla’s
temporary limitation of maximum battery voltage in 1,743 Model S sedans (“Class Vehicles”).
Pursuant to the terms of the Settlement,1 Defendant Tesla, Inc. will pay $1,500,000 to create a nonreversionary common Settlement Fund, from which a $625 payment will be made for each Class Vehicle. This amount is many times the prorated value of the temporarily reduced maximum
voltage, and thus represents an excellent and efficient result for the Settlement Class. In return, the
Settlement Class will release claims related to the software updates that imposed and then restored
the batteries’ maximum voltage.

They estimated that actual damages were $175/vehicle, and that it would be risky to even get that at trial, so the $625/vehicle settlement is a good deal for the class.

Tesla’s data show that 1,743 Model S vehicles in the United States were subject to a 10% maximum voltage limitation caused by a May 2019 software update. See July 27, 2021 Declaration of Sean P. Gates (“Gates Decl.”) ¶ 2. A subsequent update in July 2019 restored about 3% of the battery voltage in these vehicles, and a third update released in March 2020 is designed to fully restore the batteries’ voltage over time as the vehicles are driven. Id. ¶ 3. The restoration has proceeded as planned and, to date, Tesla’s data shows that of the 1,722 vehicles for which there is data, 1,552 have had their maximum battery voltage fully restored, 79 have been restored to between 95.5% and 99%, and 34 have been restored to between 93% and 95.5%. Id. ¶ 4. The maximum voltage on the latter vehicles should continue to be restored over time as the vehicles are driven. Of the remaining vehicles, 57 have had battery replacements. Id. Ready access to data from the final 21 vehicles is not available (not unusual for older vehicles), but the data above shows that the update works as planned and there is no reason to doubt that the voltage restoration update will work similarly in these vehicles. Id. ¶ 5.

In sum, Plaintiff’s Counsel’s investigation confirmed that the voltage limitation was temporary, with a 10% reduction lasting about 3 months, and a smaller 7% reduction lasting another 7 months before the corrective update was released in March 2020. Following that second update, the vehicles’ voltage showed steady restoration over time.

Of course the attorney's take 27%, ~$410k, of the settlement fund. While DJRas gets $1,000 for his effort.

Well I was wrong, it appears that they didn't put the wrong date, it just took a little longer than the expected...

They estimated that actual damages were $175/vehicle, and that it would be risky to even get that at trial, so the $625/vehicle settlement is a good deal for the class.

Of course the attorney's take 27%, ~$410k, of the settlement fund. While DJRas gets $1,000 for his effort.
What about all the other complaints in the lawsuit? Any word on those?

What about all the other complaints in the lawsuit? Any word on those?

The only thing I see is:

In exchange for the consideration provided under the Settlement, Settlement Class Members will release Tesla from any claims arising from or relating to the changes to maximum battery voltage caused by the software updates Tesla issued in May 2019, July 2019 and March 2020. Settlement § VI.B. The scope of the release tracks the conduct addressed by this Settlement, and not the other issues initially raised by Plaintiff in the Complaint. See id.; see also Procedural Guidance, Prelim. Approval § 1(c).

Maybe @DJRas can let us know what the plan is for the other issues. Are they just being dropped?

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke

Of course the attorney's take 27%, ~$410k, of the settlement fund. While DJRas gets $1,000 for his effort

Iphone gate people got more. Lol wow just wow or at least it seems like it. Well I'll take my money and sell this junk of car.