Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others might concern themselves with questioning the motivations of others. I don't see much benefit in that so I ignore those, usually with the button.

Questioning the motives of others goes to bias. Since we are all anonymous on this site, it makes more sense to examine what each of us says over many posts and months to see if there might be possible bias because then we might discount or even disregard what those individuals might be saying. It is rare indeed when a person in this thread has retracted or softened his position when solid arguments are made that are contrary to that individual's position.

If someone is long TSLA or a personal friend of Musk or an employee of Tesla Motors, it is certainly plausible that anything they write could be self-serving and biased.

If someone is long TSLA or a personal friend of Musk or an employee of Tesla Motors, it is certainly plausible that anything they write could be self-serving and biased.
I'd say the most likely to have a strong bias in this case are affected owners, which is not surprising nor unreasonable. On the other hand my large TSLA holdings have never prevented me from wanting owners to be treated properly because it's the right thing to do and ultimately happy customers will be better for the company.

Last week I took advantage of a free L2 charger to attempt a full 100% charge.

I am the second owner, but I believe that this is the first time for this car. I have only been above 92% like 6 times, very briefly.

A slow, overnight charge at 6Kw was done from about 60 to 90%.

Observing no problems and benign cell readings on SMT, ran it full to 40Kw.

At around 95%, started to throttle down. Reaching 99% rate was 2kw. After about 35 min, car said charging complete.

No AC, and no fans running. But 12v systems were using about 400w, a bit higher than I would expect with only the 4 pumps running at 100%. Bleed resistors?

Partial regen at 98%, full regen at 92%

Looking at the SMT data later, saw the car never got to 100%, only 99.6%. Typical Tesla, they always round up! So my pack only got to 401, not 402V, 4.18 VPC. I still consider that pretty close to nominal, so I have no battery gate.

Main point here is I saw essentially no increase in capacity (+0.1Kw) or range (-1 RM) by doing this. Had to drive below 73% SoC to get the pumps to shut off. Therefore, unless you can charge L2 at cooler temps, going above 77% will just turn on the AC and fans and decrease your efficiency.

See screen shot below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-103051.png
    Screenshot_20211112-103051.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Krash
Isn't it likely battery gate turned into drain gate?
And, can the parameters in SMT be trusted after all this?
Well, if you must know, I have drain gate regen gate and of course charge gate. Maybe a few others. And the mind numbing awful SvC experiences continue, MCU1 issues approaching a year

But, only reduced SuC speeds are crimping my style, and I have come up with ways to reduce that slightly.

If I could just let myself drive down below 20%, it would get a lot better!

SMT is just reporting the CANbus. It don't lie, but Tesla puts the parameters in, so..

Reactions: DJRas
but Tesla puts the parameters in, so..
Exactly. As long as Tesla is allowed acting like criminals, we need a way to log as much as possible. I started looking for a bluetooth extender so I can get SMT into the house. Other issues: will SMT keep trying to connect 'for ever' when the car is off? and, is there a way to reduce the rate to one message pr second or minute or something? I want to avoid stuff waking up the car. But again, if it's not reliable...

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and WhiteWi
Exactly. As long as Tesla is allowed acting like criminals, we need a way to log as much as possible. I started looking for a bluetooth extender so I can get SMT into the house. Other issues: will SMT keep trying to connect 'for ever' when the car is off? and, is there a way to reduce the rate to one message pr second or minute or something? I want to avoid stuff waking up the car. But again, if it's not reliable...
TeslaLogger shares its origin with Teslamate but has additional capability of integrating with SMT so it captures SMT data during drives.

When the car sleeps, I don't know what data (if any) SMT would provide, or how realistic it would be to have SMT running 'all the time'.

TeslaLogger shares its origin with Teslamate but has additional capability of integrating with SMT so it captures SMT data during drives.

When the car sleeps, I don't know what data (if any) SMT would provide, or how realistic it would be to have SMT running 'all the time'.
Thanks.
Yes, TeslaLogger is probably the thing. I was hoping to avoid a new computer system just for monitoring the battery management computer on wheels, named car by some...
I tested running SMT 'all the time'. The battery management computer - ehm - car, stayed awake most of the 22 hours test, and I ended up with 270 MB of csv-data. No data the few hours asleep.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
The PRELIMINARY APPROVAL OF CLASS SETTLEMENT was signed by Judge Beth Labson Freeman on 12/9/2021. If interested, please read the Order on Motion for Settlement – #54 in Rasmussen v. Tesla, Inc. (N.D. Cal., 5:19-cv-04596) – CourtListener.com for more detail and some interim key dates before the final Approval Hearing which is set for June 16, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
Is there any provision for those of us who STILL have the issue and Tesla is of ZERO help? IMO they flat out LIED when they said all had been restored or replaced.
Knowing Tesla, they did NOT include mine in their list to avoid replacement during the warrantee or as part of the settlement.

Is there any provision for those of us who STILL have the issue and Tesla is of ZERO help? IMO they flat out LIED when they said all had been restored or replaced.
Knowing Tesla, they did NOT include mine in their list to avoid replacement during the warrantee or as part of the settlement.

In the settlement document, they are not saying all cars have been restored (look at the post#1 of this thread). Clearly, some cars are not restored (including mine with zero restoration) and Tesla is saying to us if we are up-to-date with the latest software and driving our cars around (a very vague unquantified requirement) we should be restored one day. When that day would be, if ever … your guess is as good as mine.

In the settlement document, they are not saying all cars have been restored (look at the post#1 of this thread). Clearly, some cars are not restored (including mine with zero restoration) and Tesla is saying to us if we are up-to-date with the latest software and driving our cars around (a very vague unquantified requirement) we should be restored one day. When that day would be, if ever … your guess is as good as mine.
My guess that day will always be, "Tommorow"

I noticed that one newer update coming out (2021.40.6) says battery improvements in the release notes. Pretty skeptical that the improvement will be to my packs benefit.

Since I did an update to 2020.48.37.8 recently, I have noticed a slight (1-2 miles) increase in range and capacity. I'm pretty happy with 77Kwh nominal and 266 range.

Only a few percent of the fleet have made the change, and a lot more have jumped straight to V11. Not sure I want any part of that!

Right with you on that.

My 2013 P85 was 265-268 mile range at 100% before the infamous software update capped it down to 238 at 100%.

Here in December 2021, I'm still at 238 miles at 100%, charging takes about 60% longer, and the most recent treat: between 12-25 miles vampire loss each and every day. Usually 22 (50-70 degrees F ambient). The vampire drain got 'fixed' for a few months when they finally acquiesced to change a faulty 12v battery (less than a year old) taking daily drain down to 2-7 miles each day. This lasted for five months, but came back with a vengeance a few software updates ago.

I did the capacity calculation recommended in the Wiki post (thank you authors!) and come up with 70.5Kwh.

Also I suspect the "drive around to get full restoration" wasn't substantiated. My P85 sits for 4-5 days between short in town trips (avg 7 miles round trip), and then is taken on a 225 mile trip (550 round trip) once a month. That longer haul is a great way to know if the battery is capped since we barely make it 176 miles at 327wh/mile after capping arriving with 10-12% left. Whereas before capping the same trip, same usage (+/- 5%), we'd have 20-25% left when pulling in to charge. So, that's at least one dozen long trips charging to 100% and 48-ish shorter trips with gentle charges about once every two weeks. And no restoration here.

I'll post here is it magically gets restored.

My guess that day will always be, "Tommorow"

I noticed that one newer update coming out (2021.40.6) says battery improvements in the release notes. Pretty skeptical that the improvement will be to my packs benefit.

Since I did an update to 2020.48.37.8 recently, I have noticed a slight (1-2 miles) increase in range and capacity. I'm pretty happy with 77Kwh nominal and 266 range.

Only a few percent of the fleet have made the change, and a lot more have jumped straight to V11. Not sure I want any part of that!
Id hope you would be happy with that range and capacity! My 2016 90D is currently 73kWh capacity, and 248 rated miles!

Regarding the unquantified “drive your car around till one day you get your capacity back” claim:

1 - Tesla wants the car software up-to-date (the reason being the restoration diagnostics inclusion). I believe all non-restored cars reported in this thread meet this prerequisite.

2 - It appears the restoration of capacity is designed to incrementally restore through usage. What triggers any restoration through usage is unknown. Is it only miles, is it the car’s low or high SoC, etc.? We just do not know.

Looks to me, based on #2 and the way things currently stand, it is possible that some impacted owners would never see full restoration during the course of ownership. That seems to be the sad and unacceptable loophole of this process.

Reactions: raphy3 and jaitch
Trips over 200 miles still suck with charge gate. Navigating to a 250Kw SuC helps, but not in the winter. I'd trade the range for a 90 pack SuC speed actually.
My 90d was capped at 94kW charge rate the second month of ownership (I bought new). It was capped at 94 until December 26th 2020 software update where they "de-restricted" it to 112kW. Same software update capped my MX75D which was hitting 138kW. Now the MX75D maxes out at 114kW, for about 1-2 minutes then drops to 50-60kW for the remainder of the charge. The MS90D is still dropping in range. Maybe a V3 90 pack, but wouldn't recommend a V1.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Regarding the unquantified “drive your car around till one day you get your capacity back” claim:

1 - Tesla wants the car software up-to-date (the reason being the restoration diagnostics inclusion). I believe all non-restored cars reported in this thread meet this prerequisite.

2 - It appears the restoration of capacity is designed to incrementally restore through usage. What triggers any restoration through usage is unknown. Is it only miles, is it the car’s low or high SoC, etc.? We just do not know.

Looks to me, based on #2 and the way things currently stand, it is possible that some impacted owners would never see full restoration during the course of ownership. That seems to be the sad and unacceptable loophole of this process.
I meet 1 (have infotainment upgrade so on latest 2021.x updates), Should meet 2. Go from 10% to 95% routinely. Drive 90 miles per day as well. Still no joy.

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3